Am I The Only One?

wandat24

I have to admit I am one of the passionate women of the sport! My exhusband was never very involved in it either. However I just got my best friend hooked so there are at least two passionate geocaching women in Idaho!

I am wondering how many women there are that enjoys this hobby. I find it hard to get my husband to go out as often as I'd like (I'll prolly get in trouble for this post lol, not really). I see alot of guys on here saying that they have problems getting their wifes to go out. I have a close friend that I just can't get very interested in doing this. she says I should go out on my own, but I really don't want to. It's funner with Jerry and IMO I think it's easier in a way to have two lol. I'm not saying I'd do it without involving Jerry if I had someone to go with me, I don't think it'd be fair in a way lol.

I guess all in all I'm just wondering how many women there is that enjoy going out (maybe even have a "passion" for it lol) as much as i do.

We're new to this but it was my teen daughter that turned us onto it. She started with an afterschool group and I didn't hear about it until they'd been caching the 2nd time. When she described it to me I couldn't believe it! We/I have enjoyed scavenger hunts and chain hunts all of my life and have won scavenger hunts which only compelled me to enjoy the thrill of the hunt even more. Before we even had a GPS unit I read the description for one of the caches and knew what park it was in and the general area. She didn't give it away but somewhat guided us in the right direction. After that first micro find I was already hooked and am the one who does all the online stuff and now checking out the forums. My dh and our 2 boys also have picked up on this new craze of ours but it's me and my dd who are quickly going from hooked to obsessed!

That's cool to meet and get married!

I honestly can't remember for sure, but I think the WG site is how i did find out about caching....the first time... I'd mentioned it to my hubby and we never looked at it.... then he'd read somthing about it in a magazine of some kind or another... maybe a booklet on the GPS he'd gotten to do his Ham Radio stuff, can't remember. Anywho that's how we ended up starting was the artical he'd read.

We're both ham radio operaters. For those who may read this thread and are also our calls are: Jerry's kd5mlw and mine kd5mlv

I'm a woman cacher, too! My husband is not at all interested in the game, thinks it's a royal waste of time. My caching partner is my 15 yr. old daughter, and sometimes we cache with another woman cacher who lives not far from us.

We're a husband wife team from NE Kansas. I enjoy the forums and my husband does the techi stuff. We both love the hunt and the people we have met are terrific.

Just a suggestion to get hubby involved.....start talking about:

1. painting the house

2. cleaning the garage

3. cleaning the basement

4. landscaping the yard

5. tiling the bathroom

6. refinishing the woodwork

7. recarpeting the floor

8. etc.

9. etc.

10. etc.

:D Caching will start sounding much more interesting. :D

This should work everytime, would with me :D

I am a woman, and love cachin, have got female friends that love it too. But it doesnt bother me to go alone, usually get lots of attention in a busy park anyways.

Edited by ladeebugg

Just a suggestion to get hubby involved.....start talking about:

1. painting the house

2. cleaning the garage

3. cleaning the basement

4. landscaping the yard

5. tiling the bathroom

6. refinishing the woodwork

7. recarpeting the floor

8. etc.

9. etc.

10. etc.

:D Caching will start sounding much more interesting. :D

We've just DONE all that. We just finished our hurricane repairs; carpet was the last of it, and it was installed on Monday - hallelujah! I actually had to skip a few weeks of caching to get the repairs done, but most of the repairs took place one day per weekend so I could cache the other day! :D

I am a woman and I love to cache. I'm the one who found the website on the internet and told my husband about it twice before he bought me a GPSr for Mother's Day last year. I plan out our trips and which caches we're going to find. The husband enjoys caching, but leaves the planning up to me. I've even started to let him hold the GPSr recently. He kept finding the caches first because I was trying to get a good direction before I put the thing in my pocket to look. I find that when he holds the GPSr I find more cahces first.

Since I've started to cache I feel better, haven't lost weight (and dropping some poundage wouldn't kill me), but I feel better. I live for the weekends and I sulk when we can't get out and cache. My house is a constant mess now becasue we really don't clean as much as we used to.

I guess I am obsessed with caching and he enjoys caching. My house isn't going anywhere, but that cache might get muggled if I don't find it - now. :D

I am a womyn & have been caching since July 2001 on my own.

Hiking sometimes 8-10 miles to get a cache alone in the wildernes. 20 miles on an overnite hunt once with 2 other females (Myotis 100 - Irish Wilderness).

I also cache with my 4-legged companion, Memphis.

I carry a big stick....oh & a 9-millimeter loaded with hollow points in my backpack for comfort.

NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE THE POWER OF A WOMYN!

Jeepers

Springfield, MO

I'm also a female cacher. I mostly cache alone or with my toddler. My husband doesn't mind going to cache, but he'd rather only do a cache or two a day, since he's into biking. It's also hard to do the more challenging caches with a toddler <_<.

However, we did a geocaching vacation last year,which he really enjoyed. I grew up in the South, so the Northeast was very new to me and living so close to Canada was quite the novelty. I found a few earthcaches in each state/province, and planned our route around those and filled in the empty areas with other interesting caches. We saw a lot of neat things and took a very roundabout way into Kentucky from Virginia. (We went through NYC to Mass to Niagra Falls to Detroit to Chicago to southern Indiana to Kentucky. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes taking long road trips.)

I've been to events in three states, and women cachers have been pretty well represented in Virginia, Maryland, and Tennessee, ranging in age from primary school kids to grandmothers. Some were casual cachers, others were in the 2k+ club, but most were in between. You're in Oklahoma, so if you wanted to meet more female cachers, you could go to Geowoodstock 4 in Dallas this May.

edit to fix url

Edited by pixieslayer

Here's another woman! I usually cache by myself up here in the mountains. My cache buddy is a woman, also. Her husband (another "Jerry") tries to pretend that he's not interested but he'll say stuff like..."Well, I'll drive you to your caches, if ya want..." That's when we are visiting their "winter" home in Arizona.

Most of my caching friends are female, but their husbands and BF's like to go, too.

I lost all the women of my life (wife and 2 daughters) to lacrosse. Seems like there is a game, practice or camp every day of every weekend throughout the year. Indoors, outdoors, here, there, everywhere and all the time! Kids play and wife coaches. I get tired of standing around on the sidelines every hour of every weekend so now I am a solo cacher.

Edited by RoyalRed
I'm also a female cacher. I mostly cache alone or with my toddler. My husband doesn't mind going to cache, but he'd rather only do a cache or two a day, since he's into biking. It's also hard to do the more challenging caches with a toddler <_< .

However, we did a geocaching vacation last year,which he really enjoyed. I grew up in the South, so the Northeast was very new to me and living so close to Canada was quite the novelty. I found a few earthcaches in each state/province, and planned our route around those and filled in the empty areas with other interesting caches. We saw a lot of neat things and took a very roundabout way into Kentucky from Virginia. (We went through NYC to Mass to Niagra Falls to Detroit to Chicago to southern Indiana to Kentucky. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes taking long road trips.)

I've been to events in three states, and women cachers have been pretty well represented in Virginia, Maryland, and Tennessee, ranging in age from primary school kids to grandmothers. Some were casual cachers, others were in the 2k+ club, but most were in between. You're in Oklahoma, so if you wanted to meet more female cachers, you could go to Geowoodstock 4 in Dallas this May.

edit to fix url

I'll have to look at it and see where at and when it is. We're planning a trip in May (my B-day and our anniversary are 3 days apart in May lol, PLUS mothers day <_< )

I'm a woman who usually caches alone. Hubby and two sons (20 & 18) just aren't too interested though they've gone with me a time or two. I do carry pepper spray and a hiking stick and use common sense as to where I go and when I go. (I won't night cache by myself, for example.) It's getting me out and getting the exercise, both physical and mental. Love it! <_<

Yes, my personal observations also indicate that solo geocaching is by far the domain of the male population. lol. For me, I can't imagine doing it alone, it would just not be enjoyable. lol The Team has a pretty good arrangement. lol I get us close and Mrs. Team Cotati finds 'em. lol Every once in a while she lets me find one just to keep me motivated. lol <_<:tired:<_<

I am the geocacher in the family, and a woman. It started out as a family thing. It turns out my husband really is a city boy, and doesn't like to commune with nature. I'm just a country girl at heart...grew up in the woods, and can't get enough of being out there. I take my kids with me when I can talk them into going. Otherwise, I've made some nice friends through geocaching who enjoy it as much as I do. So, I try to cache with them as often as possible.

I will solo cache on occasion. I won't go more than 1/4 mile into the woods alone though, for safety. I also carry a cell phone, whistle, and extra batteries always.

I am wondering how many women there are that enjoys this hobby. I find it hard to get my husband to go out as often as I'd like (I'll prolly get in trouble for this post lol, not really). I see alot of guys on here saying that they have problems getting their wifes to go out. I have a close friend that I just can't get very interested in doing this. she says I should go out on my own, but I really don't want to. It's funner with Jerry and IMO I think it's easier in a way to have two lol. I'm not saying I'd do it without involving Jerry if I had someone to go with me, I don't think it'd be fair in a way lol.

I guess all in all I'm just wondering how many women there is that enjoy going out (maybe even have a "passion" for it lol) as much as i do.

I am a 21 year old female university student, and my female friend of the same age is just as crazy about GC as me. We are out almost every weekend and sometimes on lunch breaks during the week if we notice a new cache and want to try for FTF. I have the oposite problem from most people...i can't get my boyfriend to go out with me...lol. But I do think there are a lot of female geocachers...at least in my area anyway.

I prefer to go with my (female) cousin, just because hubby rarely like sto go. This last trip we took to Nevada however, he thought driving up gravelled roads to places unkown was kinda' neat. Not to mention the history and ghost-town and old-timey imagination that goes along with that area.

Usually though, the in-town and outlying area caches I like to do with my cousin. She and I, via Email, have met another geocacher lady here locally. She is really cool and has WAAAYYY more cache finds and hides than I will ever get I am sure...

Our group is all girls. 2 adults & 3 kids. We have travel bugs for each in the group and have a "race" in progress. Although, only one travel bug out of four is still alive and well out there, we enjoy seeing where it has travelled. All of the kids have been asking about going cache hunting again with the warm weather. So it looks like another Geo-trip is in the works for the gals! The boys go fishing, so the girls go geocaching.

6 logged finds.............one greater than D/T 2/2................interesting. :D:D:D

haha plus 3 dnf's... But, you should see the caches I'm going to hide. I already hid a 3/4, I'm going 3/5 next time.

I try hard, and I have a nice GPS, does that count?

:D

I wouldn't know about that...I own a Meridian Gold. :D

:P I geocache with my two sisters, we are all seniors. We love to go as often as we can. We went all through the winter and enjoyed it. We've been geocaching only 1 year and still love the hunt. We did a 5-5 cache, so terrain isn't a factor for us. We love the mental and physical challenges. I rarely go alone, only if it's a safe area, park and grab.

I am a 25 year old chick and my brother and I are in a team. I love it!! I don't get as much time as he does to go out - so he has done a few finds without me. BUT hat's not because I don't want to be there believe me!!

I just wish I could get my hubby involved too - cause that would be great. However . . .with or without him I have fun while I'm out geocaching!! :-)

I talked to my better half (Jerry) and he said we might make it to the geowoodstock :)

From one obsessed girl geocacher to another - SEE YOU THERE (GW4)!

I currently have more finds than my husband & he was the one who got me Geocaching in the first place! :P

Boy, I swear he changes his mind on what we're doing for vaction as much as most (not all, but ALOT) of women do about what they're gonna wear! lol I really hope to make it, but I dunno lol.

Another girl here(This time from wild, wonderful, West Virginia!) I do as much caching as I possibly can(not having a car always at hand doesn't help though), and I'm addicted to it. I've gone to a good few of my finds with other people, but I love going it alone. It really makes the find more worthwhile if I didn't get any help finding the cache. Couldn't drag my last boyfriend out with me, but I have hooked my little sister and my best friend on geocaching, so it's fair.

Also, it seems like there are two extremes age-wise when it comes to geocaching. I know there are other younger people that do it, but it seems like the only other geocachers I've met or heard from so far are around 30+(though there are the few onder 30 that have posted already) or the little kids that come with them. It would be nice to get a team going of people my age, but it doesn't seem like there are enough around here interested. :laughing:

:huh: I'm a new female cacher from Pennsylvania who has caught the hunt fever! I usually go with my kids and with my husband when he's home. We are having a blast caching! I printed out caches for all the areas we are planning to go to this summer while we are camping. My husband thinks I'm a nut...hehehe. My folder is overflowing with papers. <_<

Wanda,

I can sympathize with you from the opposite gender. I've tried to get my wife to go out with me a couple times and it was too cold. I know she won't have any interest in any bushwhacking trips. Before too long, it's going to be hot and she probably won't be interested in going out then either. She does like camping and will go out and sit around the pool in the heat - which I DON'T particularly enjoy. Go swimming sure. Lay out in the heat, no. She doesn't see the point of geocaching or benchmarking. Now, my 12 year old son on the other hand. We've done some caching together and have placed two caches together. He gets off on going for a hike in the woods. Guess things could be worse! <_<

JohnTee

Here in Springfield, I would say based on what I've seen at events, that the population of men vs women is about 50/50.

I don't know what it is that doesn't seem to get anyone else I know all fired up about stuff as I do. Between geocaching, where'sgeorge.com, bookcrossing.com, the internet in general, reality TV (especially Survivor), 80's music and gardening, I wonder if I am adopted. No one in my family could give a rat's behind about any of it. Not interested at all. It's so bad that I am the only one in my family that gets called on to program their VCRs, cellphones and digital watches. They don't even have an interest in knowing how to do it themselves. They just call me. Wonder what it would be like if I didn't do it for them.....now that could get interesting...lol

I'm a Michigan female and I go geocaching alone all the time. There are some caches that I skip because I feel too conspicuous by myself, and I keep thinking I need to find a dog to "borrow" for a day of caching. I have one friend who's gone with me a couple times and I think she's hooked, but doesn't have as much time for it as I do. I'm going to my first event in a week, so I'll get to meet others with the same obsession...errr.. love of the sport. :huh:

I also program my own VCR, cell phone and digital watch. <_<

I started looking into a subject today and was talking with a friend of mine on messenger about it. He said that my obsession with it wasn't as bad as with my obsession about geocaching.... I thought about it a moment then it dawned on me. My response to it was: "I get obsessed very easily over alot of things". He thought it was funny as heck.

Anywho I think my hubby may be coming around a bit more lol. Not sure how much. I just adopted two caches in my area and am fixing to replace the containers and thinking about 3 more from the same guy and a few from a friend of his. I am really hoping to make it to an event, but still not real sure about it. i'm very glad to of gotten so many replies. Thank you all, and I hope to see some more lol.

Special Ed here...

We met because of geocaching. Started caching together, really got to know each other and before we knew it here we are getting ready to buy a house and get married sometime here in the near future.

We recently combined our accounts and almost always cache together or with others as a group.

FallenFaery is the best cache swag I ever found!

Techno-gadget toys (like, for example, a GPS) are often guy things. It stands to reason that the players of a game involving them would be mostly male.

The female side of this duo was the first to get a GPS and start geocaching. Dave enjoys it a lot more now that he has his own GPS. I think that's one of the keys to getting a partner out the door to play.