Travel Bug Destinations

sunnyorlando

:lol: Hello all...

Being new at this, my friend and I are ready and curious about getting a TB started. We have some questions:

> Can a TB be anything durable that is clearly and permanently identified (make our own)? I.e: a small piece of metal with the proper information engraved.

> Or does it have to be an 'official' (purchased) travel bug?

> Can a TB be given a ultimate destination? I.e: have it satrt in a TB Hotel in Florida and have a specific destination (L&L) somewhere in the US or the world?

> IF yes to above, then would the TB have to have points in between identified? Or just send it on its way and see it hop around?

> As an example, would it be realistic to create a TB and say that its ultimate destination would be somewhere in the vecinity of St. Petersburgh, Russia regardless of how it gets there? Would this inf have to be included on the TB? Or is this partof theon line logs notes and comments?

> How are serial numbers assigned to TBs?

> Is there any information avaiable about this type of TB?

> What elsedo we need to know?

We're ready!

Thank you! B)

sunnyorlando & krwheele

To be an official travel bug and therefore trackable on Geocaching's site, you would buy a travel bug tag (sold at Groundspeak) - this is where the serial number comes from. You buy the actual tags, and can attach them to anything you choose - a keyring, stuffed animal, etc.

It's perfectly acceptable to give your travel bug a "mission" - a destination cache, or various places and things to do along the way. Not everyone will pay attention to your travel bug's mission, but some will.

If you want to see an example of a travel bug, click on my user name, then click on the TRACKABLES tag. Click on the Travel Bug icons, click on the name of one of my travel bugs, and you can see what my bug looks like, what it's goal or mission is, and where it's been.

Edited by Henki

You're never really ready until you read the pinned threads at the top of the TB forums! The Longevity and the Travel Bug Obituary thread

As for your own homemade tag, you can do that, but you still need to buy the tags from Groundspeak in order to get the tracking numbers. If you do that they send you two tags, the original and the copy tag, so if one goes missing (a month, two months without being logged does not necessarily mean it's missing) then you can send out the copy tag. If that happens, do not delete old logs, you not only delete YOUR bug's history, you delete the statistics from all those that moved it, and people don't like that if they like playing the numbers game.

TB's with destinations to not always move in a straight line, and sometimes that's better. If you had certain points along the way, it could take a lot longer to get there. If you want it to go to St. Petersburg Russia, you would probably want to add a laminated tag with instructions for the bugs goal, or goal sheet. YOu can print this sheet from the top right corner of the bug page. If you can't laminate it, a zip lock will do.

As far as assigning bug numbers, well, I guess that is done at the beginning, you get what you get, you don't get to choose a number.

Read up on Travel Bugs here.

You're never really ready until you read the pinned threads at the top of the TB forums! The Longevity and the Travel Bug Obituary thread

As for your own homemade tag, you can do that, but you still need to buy the tags from Groundspeak in order to get the tracking numbers. If you do that they send you two tags, the original and the copy tag, so if one goes missing (a month, two months without being logged does not necessarily mean it's missing) then you can send out the copy tag. If that happens, do not delete old logs, you not only delete YOUR bug's history, you delete the statistics from all those that moved it, and people don't like that if they like playing the numbers game.

TB's with destinations to not always move in a straight line, and sometimes that's better. If you had certain points along the way, it could take a lot longer to get there. If you want it to go to St. Petersburg Russia, you would probably want to add a laminated tag with instructions for the bugs goal, or goal sheet. YOu can print this sheet from the top right corner of the bug page. If you can't laminate it, a zip lock will do.

As far as assigning bug numbers, well, I guess that is done at the beginning, you get what you get, you don't get to choose a number.

Read up on Travel Bugs here.

;) Thank you Ertha -

I have read the rcommended readings... and I am ready.

:P Allow me to comment with all due respect - what I get from these 2 answers is that this TB hobby or sport is for the money (of selling the tags) and not so much for the hobby of having fun with the caches. If it were for such, then one should be able to log a TB of sorts (my own) without having to buy a tag from this Groundspeak/Geocaching site, log it, place it and see what happens. Which by the way, in reading your own glossary, I find that a "hitchhiker" fits the description of what we want to do.

From your glossary:

hitchhiker

A hitchhiker is an item that is placed in a cache, and has instructions to travel to other caches. Sometimes they have logbooks attached so you can log their travels. A Travel Bug is an example of a hitchhiker.

So what in your view is the difference between a 'hitchiker' and 'purchased' TB tag? Is it just the assigned serial number and 'official' registration? Or do you see more to it? ($$)

Would I be allowed to use you site with/for my intended travelers?

Regards,

sunnyorlando

Edited by sunnyorlando