Virtual In Burano Italy

I just returned from a trip to Venice, Italy and had prepared a Virtual Cache on the island of Burano. However, I discovered that virtual caches are no longer being accepted at geocaching.com and was directed here. The purpose of my cache is to try to entice people to visit the beautiful island of Burano, a short vaparetto ride across the Venetian lagoon from Venice. The object/structure/place I am trying to post is a leaning church bell tower, similar to the leaning tower of Pisa. However, I cannot find a category for anything that comes near to fitting: island, church, bell tower, cathedral etc. I have no ambition to recruit a group and conduct a vote, be a leader etc. I just want to post a neat place that other cachers can visit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

-Birdhead

Woe are the Italians, and their soggy soil.

If you aren't interested in managing a category yourself, the best thing for you to do right now is visit the category proposal and recruiting forum to request someone else manage it. Probably a "Bell Towers" category would be quite popular.

-Nate

PS - Your "vacation" virtual would not have passed geocache review

Sure, this is a category that I proposed a while ago. Basically, bells that are on display, or can be seen by the public. They could be church bells, school bells, mission bells, etc. While on a trip to California recently I was amazed at how many bells you drive by, for all sorts of reasons.

I'm not big on "collections", no stamp collection, no coin, butterfly or button collections. So these "categories and groups" seem pretty artificial and oriented only toward those cachers with a collecting bent. Why can't we just post a neat place, or have a category called "Italy"?

I'm not big on "collections", no stamp collection, no coin, butterfly or button collections. So these "categories and groups" seem pretty artificial and oriented only toward those cachers with a collecting bent. Why can't we just post a neat place, or have a category called "Italy"?

Because we already have one.

(Advanced Search --> State/Country Search --> Italy)

If Tozaimbuku gets his "WOW!" category proposal off the ground he may accept your waymark there.

Because we already have one.

(Advanced Search --> State/Country Search --> Italy)

If Tozaimbuku gets his "WOW!" category proposal off the ground he may accept your waymark there.

I probably wouldn't, since it seems that this would fit better in another (perhaps new) category. But the OP does raise an issue of how to get others to know about this location. If you had a Bell Tower category, would someone going on vacation to Italy even bother to check. This may be more interesting as a leaning tower but not the Leaning Tower (of Pisa). Perhaps a category of "Alternatives to World Famous Landmarks" is what's needed?

Thanks for the illustration of how to search by country (or state for that matter). The question that remains for the Waymarking community is how to allow someone to post an interesting spot if no category seems to fit. I've been back from Italy for five days and still can't share my cool spot with other cachers.

This might be off topic, but why did Virtuals get banned from Geocaching to begin with? Please don't tell me that everyone is interested only in the trinkets!

-Birdhead

Thanks for the illustration of how to search by country (or state for that matter). The question that remains for the Waymarking community is how to allow someone to post an interesting spot if no category seems to fit. I've been back from Italy for five days and still can't share my cool spot with other cachers.

This might be off topic, but why did Virtuals get banned from Geocaching to begin with? Please don't tell me that everyone is interested only in the trinkets!

-Birdhead

No, not for the trinkets. But I think I'll let someone else tell you since I don't think I would be able to explain it correctly.