I Wish I Had Known.

rynd

:blink: My wife wanted me to go to her cousins wedding in Bloomingburg New York. For months she's been planning this trip and for months I've been saying I'm not going. Finally I given and tell her I'll go, so I decide to try to make the best I can of it.

Let's see, we'll leave Tennessee after work late Thursday night, get there on Friday and spend the day visiting relatives and resting from the thirteen hour drive. The wedding will take up all day Sunday and we'll drive back Monday to be at work on Tuesday morning. That leaves Saturday and if I'm extremely lucky and I plan everything out I'll have time to hunt one cache.

This cache looks perfect. It's close to your Nan & Pop's house where we'll be staying, it looks like it's in a nice park and shouldn't take long to find. This is a regular size cache so I'll hold on to this white Jeep travel bug a couple more weeks and at least double it's mileage when I set it free again. Hey, I see It's got a travel bug in it, and if I'm lucky I'll get to it before anybody else and bring it back and set it free here.

Now I'm kind of excited about going. This will be my first chance to cache that far from home and I probably won't get another chance this year. Plus, since your niece is going I'll get the chance to take her caching again like I've been promising. Yea, this will work and I'm looking forward to it.

I really wish the cache page would have said that this park is only open during the week and in certain seasons.

Ouch.

I sympathize. There are caches in my area that are on state trust land, which requires a permit to be on. The cache pages dont always tell me that. Maps dont show it either. So I show up near the cache, and find I wasted my gas and time to go to a place I cant legally access since I dont have the permit with me. Wish the cache page would have told me that too.

Ouch, yeah, that is awful.

I agree that cache owners should try to mention everything that may impede access to the cache.

But on the other hand, I always pull up some info for an alternative or three when I travel (ask my husband--if we have time for 20, I load up 100!). That covers me just in case there is construction, or a huge wreck, or some unplanned event, like a parade or visitng dignitary important enough to cause the secret service to block off certain roads. Even the best cache owners can't control things like that and I don't want to be left with time on my hands and no cache I can get to if there is some unforseen problem.

Team Neos

Well, I did run a pq for the area and had 99 other caches in the GPSr and on the lap top, but I didn't do the research on them so I didn't think I had the time to search for them, that is my fault. The killer was on Sunday as we drove along the palisades parkway going to the wedding. I would glance down to the computer screen and see several caches as we passed along the way. I swear one had to be behind a sign right on the side of the road, but since we were following my wifes grand parent, I couldn't stop.

BigWhiteTruck

Oh, I'm sure I'll be back, probably the next time a cousin gets married.

Oooh, I hate going past all those nice little icons and not being able to stop to even try to find them. My husband usually drives, and even at the end of a long day of caching, I sit on the passenger side saying "There's a geocache about a half a block over that way" and "There's another one just a half a mile ahead" until he finally tells me to turn off the GPS. I even do it when I am soooo tired that all I want is a shower and bed.

Oh, but I am NOT addicted. No. Not me.