High Gas Prices Now Will Prices Effect Your Geocaching?

What irks me is that the 3 refineries up here all get their crude from Wyoming/Montana/Canada for ~$20/barrel. Yet when it comes to sales they charge current market rates because they can, not because they should. Even with those refineries so close by, there isn't a single break we get on fuel.

The ConocoPhillips refinery here is the most profitable of all of their refineries...gee, I wonder why? They mark up the processed fuels 250%.

In Western North Carolina, we have many hiking trails that are packed full of caches. I am going to try to do more of those. I am also going to hide more of my caches along trails. Driving to one location and spending the afternoon under my own power seems more logical then driving from one LPC to another. I will also start riding my bike to work and around town. My theory is to take it out of my rear end, and leave it in my wallet. I will also continue to find caches if they are located in a place that I have to travel to anyway. I rarely make special trip to cache.

Nuwati

What irks me is that the 3 refineries up here all get their crude from Wyoming/Montana/Canada for ~$20/barrel. Yet when it comes to sales they charge current market rates because they can, not because they should. Even with those refineries so close by, there isn't a single break we get on fuel.

The ConocoPhillips refinery here is the most profitable of all of their refineries...gee, I wonder why? They mark up the processed fuels 250%.

All American auto owners should really try and conserve fuel consumption by not making unnecessary trips...I know it is difficult because most of our commutes are cross-country. Most malls (shopping stores) are quite a drive from our domiciles. I was going caching today, but I will combine my searches to areas closer to home tomorrow. I will just go caching every other day. Dang it I'm not going to stop geocaching, I will give up other things first :ph34r:

All American auto owners should really try and conserve fuel consumption by not making unnecessary trips. <snip>

I go where I want to, when I want to. Sometimes I drive around for hours and go nowhere at all just because I want to and I can. And I really like to do it in the Mustang with the top down AND the A/C on at about 80mph getting, oh, MAYBE 12mpg. Who are you to decide where and when people should drive, or, for that matter, what is "necessary"?

By all means, though, please keep conserving fuel. The more you save, the more is left for me ;)

I go where I want to, when I want to. Sometimes I drive around for hours and go nowhere at all just because I want to and I can. And I really like to do it in the Mustang with the top down AND the A/C on at about 80mph getting, oh, MAYBE 12mpg. Who are you to decide where and when people should drive, or, for that matter, what is "necessary"?

By all means, though, please keep conserving fuel. The more you save, the more is left for me ;)

I would just like to say that I really agree with this and your other posts on the subject.

I would just like to say that I really agree with this and your other posts on the subject.

Thanks. My life is FAR too short to worry about 25 cents a gallon.

Here in Maryland a prominent energy supplier is about to hike electricity rates by 72%. Now THAT'S a hike. If I used that utility it would mean about 140 dollars a month.

72%?!

Jeez, and I thought the 2% they want to up it here was bad!

-ajb

By all means, though, please keep conserving fuel. The more you save, the more is left for me :D

Such a stereo typical american attitude !

By all means, though, please keep conserving fuel. The more you save, the more is left for me <_<

Such a stereo typical american attitude !

Such a sterotypical NON-american accusation!

I got an F-150 Big ol gas guzzlin' V-8 and a family that I tote around with it. Gotta do what ya' gotta do I guess. I'd love to be able to have a little Nissan Skyline, but then I'd probably get too many tickets for speeding, not to mention, ever try to fit 3 (and soon 4) kids and a great wife into a little car?

The best bet is to drive close (some call it tail gatting, but I call it drafting <_< ) honestly be smart in your driving style and when its available, get alternative fuels or "car pool" with other cachers. After all, that is part of what GeoCaching is about; getting together with good friends and finding things hidden by other friends.

Cheers all

In 1970 I was just a kid, but I remember my parents rejoicing over the gas war on a corner in Ames, IA where a gallon of gas went for $.25.

Even at $3.00/gal, that's only 12 times the price... 36 years later.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has gone from around 700 in 1970 to over 11,000 today. That's more than 15 times!

15 X $.25/gal is $3.75/gal. I'm not going to complain about the price of gas.

but gas is still ~$2.32-2.39/gal around here and it hasn't impacted me all that much.

Us poor folk across the pond pay $1.50 a litre,that about $6.00 a gallon.Luckily I've found a nice man from Iran whose gonna sell me some "enriched uranium" cheap.That'll keep me going for years!! :lol:

I have noticed that since I started this topic, I have have not stopped geocaching, but I will cut down on my summer escapades in my motohome. OK the ones that we are scheduled to make. I promise I will cancel.

$3.00 is just to much....$3.00 is just to much...Ok I said that...but dang it $3.00 is to much :lol: Or I may just be an "Ugly American" :D Happy Caching to all :D

Edited by Wild Thing 73

In 1970 I was just a kid, but I remember my parents rejoicing over the gas war on a corner in Ames, IA where a gallon of gas went for $.25.

Even at $3.00/gal, that's only 12 times the price... 36 years later.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has gone from around 700 in 1970 to over 11,000 today. That's more than 15 times!

15 X $.25/gal is $3.75/gal. I'm not going to complain about the price of gas.

Actually, not counting the weeks right after Hurricane Katrina the highest US gas prices relative to inflation occurred around 1981, when they averaged about $3/gallon nationwide in today's $$$, though I imagine we're coming close now.....

Edited by hairymon

actually its funny. i remember seeing this thread the first time around. since then i have decided to look into gettin my motorcycle license. not just for geocaching but for my daily driving. im lookin forward to better mpg. i would like to be able to geocache in surrounding areas but its so costly.

motorcycle or not this is one geek who will never give up his jeep (just might save it for the weekends)

Well it shouldn't if your brother lives within his means. I'm willing to bet that most people that drive a Suburban (except for Saxy, of course :huh: ) do so knowing full well that they are going to spend a lot more on fuel than those that drive Hondas. If you're used to spending $30 a week on gas, maybe you'll now spend $35. If you're used to spending $150, you'll now spend $175. But then, if $25 a week is a problem for you, you probably shouldn't be driving a Suburban.

The point you seem to be missing about the Suburban is that I bought mine when gas was below $1.50 a gallon.

Saxy! Are you STILL feeding that hungry monster? :laughing:

The price of gas had never been above $2.00 a gallon in all of recorded history.

Yes, it has. Your statement is meaningless. In order to compare past prices to present prices, one must correct for inflation:

zFacts-Gasoline-Price.gif

As you can see, prices today are relatively high -- but in 2006 dollars they're really about the same as they were way back in 1981.

Now gas is twice the price it was when I bought my truck. That isn't in the budget.

Sounds like you were smart to re-evaluate your budget. So why,then, did you choose (remember that word?) to keep the Suburban? Just curious.

Ever try to haul a cord of firewood with a Honda?

My truck I use for hauling firewood get quite a bit better mileage than your Suburban. Honda and Suburban are not your only choices. As you know, the vast majority of Colorado Springs residents are not Suburban owners, yet they somehow seem to manage. Who says you have to drive a Suburban?

It's also pretty hard to drive a Honda here in the winter. We tried, then sold it because we couldn't even drive it up our street on an average winter day.

Good choice. One who chooses to live in Colorado Springs must learn to live with one's choices. :anibad:

With gas prices approaching $3.00/gal around here I now make a few 3 day trips out to Southern Calif...Hit the power trails near Palm Spgs....cache the Yorba Linda area...and head back to AZ...To me its worth the trip over there for the amount of caches you get. Gone are the days of hitting the AZ back country trails in my Wrangler to get 3 caches and spend $30.00 in gas just to get them.

With gas prices approaching $3.00/gal around here I now make a few 3 day trips out to Southern Calif...Hit the power trails near Palm Spgs....cache the Yorba Linda area...and head back to AZ...To me its worth the trip over there for the amount of caches you get. Gone are the days of hitting the AZ back country trails in my Wrangler to get 3 caches and spend $30.00 in gas just to get them.

LOL thats why we are planning a caching trip to the Phoenix Tempe area during the Fiesta Bowl one of our grandsons Highschool band has been invited to march in the parade, so we will be there for about a week caching mostly :D:D:D:D

It has slowed us down a bit. No more +50 roundtrips for one cache these days. We do a little more planning and try to get several at a time when we go out now.

On the other hand, i just filled up the boat ($51.00) and the Jeep ($32.00), so that we can take a trip up the Sabine River to try for 9 caches that have recently been placed. But the reward will be worth every penny spent,, that cacher also placed a bonus cache that has nice new "I Cached the Sabine" patches for those few people that complete all 11 caches. :D

I'm just going to thumb my nose at the situation, since I found 16 caches (+4 DNFs) in about 4 days using a combination of high speed and sleeper trains, renting a car at a train station (less than 1300cc, so easy on "petrol" consumption), then doing some wonderful hikes.

There are people who claim to levitate, but even they can't move several hundred miles while sleeping. :rolleyes:

Edited by budd-rdc

These fuel price increases may keep us closer to home...What do you think?

Started my geocaching after Christmas. I've done all the caches in my immediate area and a few outside of my area, combined with other trips. Otherwise, driving a Suburban has definitely kept me from stretching my legs and getting some of the caches that are farther away. I'm going to start driving an '89 Honda Civic next week and will get a chance to do some caches that I've been putting off. Won't feel as bad about putting gas in the little critter.

JohnTee

Now that the weather is warming up, I've been out doing a lot more caching as of late, but gas is still ~$2.32-2.39/gal around here and it hasn't impacted me all that much. Besides caching and my 7 mile drive to work, my only other personal gas expenses are the monthly 4x4 trail rides that take me to various parts of the state. On a good tank, my wife can go 3 weeks in her '01 Impala so it isn't horrible.

Compare that to the $250/month in gas for me just to get to work/back in my old Nissan pickup when I lived in AZ, and what we spend now ($124 last month for me) or an average of $104/month so far this year. Anymore, the caches I would prefer to find involve decent drives (4x4 specifically) and I want to do some sort of power-trail type cache series on a 4x4 only trail system somewhere nearby that requires travelling the entire length to find if I can get the ok for it.

But as the prices creep ever higher, I am aware of that and will adjust my driving to travel smarter and combine trips to reduce overall expenses.

Today here in Tn regular gas is $2.70 - $2.76 and going up <_<

Now it is at $3.00 for reg...I know it will get higher, but I am going to the mountain tomorrow for some Geocaching :lol:

Why would Wyoming/Montana/Canada sell oil for $20 a barrel when the rest of the world is selling it for $70? That does not make any sense. Oil's a commodity. It's fungible. I don't believe the $20!.

Even at $3.00 a gallon I drive back and fourth fives times to find the perfect place to park. Then I can't find the micro, I go to another nearby catch, log it, then return to the previous catch, get frustrated, drive to another micro disguised as a piece of cactus, can't find that one, drive to another catch, end up 2 for 4 on the day and I drive home.

Now I have to go back to the 2 caches I couldn't find, wasting more $3.00 a gallon gas. But, thats why I like geo caching.

I mentioned to my wife that maybe we should buy a Scooter :D Her reply :D So we will keep caching in our Wild Thing and Geo Tracker ( both get about 25 MPG ) To old for Bikes :lol:

That's funny, because CR did talk me into getting one. I wanted a Prius, but would have had to assume some debt for it. Haven't had a car payment in a looong time (drive a '91 Previa that was a gift from my folks), and couldn't bring myself to go to the bank.

This is what I got and I drive it 16 miles one-way down the interstate to work and back. Every day. Even when it rains. Lowest temp, 20degreesF. The speedometer shows 100mph, but I chickened out at 93!

Sissy's scooter