Geocaching On Cbs Evening News

medic208

I just watched the segment on CBS. I think we are going to have some new players now. They really made Geocaching sound like a great thing, they said good things about it. It was a pretty lengthy segment too, I noticed it showed an Ammo Box and some sort of PVC pipe cache. Does anyone have any idea who the cachers on the interview were? The older couple had 1,000+ finds and there was another group it showed also. I am glad to see Geocaching with some GOOD publicity!

Funny how these news stories always show the great caches and the family fun of the hike/hunt...never an urban micro - now seemingly the majority hide type in so many areas. Is the excellent cache hunt they showed on the news story really "representative" anymore?? (Sigh, I remember when it used to be...)

-Party pooper Dave R.

Fantastic exposure for our GREAT sport and nice to see a full featured story than just a blurb. Dang !!!! Sure hope I'm still caching whe I'm 80. Probably take that long to get 1,000 +.

For some reason I switched from my regular ABC news. Must be Geo-ESP.

Just in time for the onset of peak Geocaching season. Kiddes, get your GPSr now 'cause the shelves are going to get cleaned out.

Funny how these news stories always show the great caches and the family fun of the hike/hunt...never an urban micro - now seemingly the majority hide type in so many areas. Is the excellent cache hunt they showed on the news story really "representative" anymore?? (Sigh, I remember when it used to be...)

-Party pooper Dave R.

GEEZ guy, some folks find negativity in everything.

the cbs news has not come on the TV here yet, but its kind of strange how this new website has come along in the last few days. I'm not sure what its all about yet:

[removed spamination]

Strange website. Must be someone who got banned from here or couldn't find a cache.

About 9 posts and a whopping two members since early March. He has some pictures of two people with a cache. I wonder if they know he's using their pic?

Edited by Jeremy

-Party pooper Dave R.

GEEZ guy, some folks find negativity in everything.

I stand corrected; they updated the on-line video since it was originally posted this afternoon, and it did, in fact, show the seniors engaged in an urban micro hunt. While it could be argued it was portrayed positively, I would counter that 80+ year olds would not be viewed as suspiciously by observers in post-9/11 America rooting around on the gates of private property or in the bushes outside of restaurants as say, someone with my demographics: a 41-yr-old, 6'3" male.

Edited by drat19
I wonder how many extra hits the site is going to get tonight?

I would guess "scads".

*I* wonder how many Zip Code searches of those first-timer visitors are going to reveal pages and pages of urban micros as the nearest caches.

Depends on how many of those first timer's are in urban areas, I would guess. Actually, most probably wont even know what is or isn't an "urban micro". They are going to just see lots of possible treasures nearby. Hey, if you've never even heard of a lampost micro before, you're probably going to think it quite clever.

If it gets people out of the house and enjoying a facet of geocaching, great.

I wonder how many extra hits the site is going to get tonight?

I would guess "scads".

*I* wonder how many Zip Code searches of those first-timer visitors are going to reveal pages and pages of urban micros as the nearest caches.

Depends on how many of those first timer's are in urban areas, I would guess. Actually, most probably wont even know what is or isn't an "urban micro". They are going to just see lots of possible treasures nearby. Hey, if you've never even heard of a lampost micro before, you're probably going to think it quite clever.

If it gets people out of the house and enjoying a facet of geocaching, great.

Sigh, sadly but truly, you make a valid point. My first lampost micro was "cool" to me too. But then I found 20 more within a 2 mile radius (not in Biloxi (my home base), thankfully), and got questioned by local law enforcement (also not in Biloxi, thankfully), and my outlook, uh, changed... Edited by drat19

Just saw it here, Portland area. Seemed like a pretty positive story to me. I was pleased they showed kids and thought the older couple was cute... and their caches looked pretty urban to me. Didn't look much like they were being discreet... but then, how would one be discreet with a camera crew?

Does anyone have any idea who the cachers on the interview were? The older couple had 1,000+ finds and there was another group it showed also. I am glad to see Geocaching with some GOOD publicity!

Don't know who the family was, but the couple you refer to are Shirconn and Garagedude <_<:D ! They're very active cachers with a lot of hides in our area. Good to see them representing!

Does anyone have any idea who the cachers on the interview were? The older couple had 1,000+ finds and there was another group it showed also. I am glad to see Geocaching with some GOOD publicity!

Don't know who the family was, but the couple you refer to are Shirconn and Garagedude <_<:D ! They're very active cachers with a lot of hides in our area. Good to see them representing!

The older couple is my mother and Jack who I introduced to geocaching two years ago. Who would have thought that they are now the national spokepeople for the hobby?

The others are the combined family of the chick and TRUROKR who have recently hidden a couple of great series of ammo box hides along two hiking areas in the Conejo Valley (Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park, CA) If you haven't been to this area, the chick's hides are a good excuse to come.

I unfortunately missed it! My Mom in Law called and said it was on and she watched the whole thing, and thought it was great, and she really didnt understand it before. If she liked it , it will no doubtedly interest LOTS of others <_<

Edited by -Hawk-

See that spike at the end? I'm certainly glad we solved the site issues last week or we'd be in deep doo doo.

That's surprising. I didn't realize anyone still watched CBS news.

Yeah. I get all my news from The Daily Show with John Stewart. I'd like to see the traffic after we are openly mocked by them.

Well at least you know the host would get the religion masquerading as science references. :blink:

I agree!! After seeing a lot of negative publicity lately from the SC mess, I'm very happy to see a positive and well done story - YAY!!

SC mess?????

Here are a few links to some of the shorter forum threads on that topic... although there are plenty more long winded discussions out there if you do a search.

Linky

Linky

Linky