Etrex Venture Cx Vs Gpsmap 60cx... Is It Worth It?

da_guy2

Its finally time to upgrade my Garmin GPS III (though i still love it), and I'm debating between the etrex Venture Cx (same as the etrex Legend Cx) and the GPSMAP 60Cx. Now i know that the GPSMAP 60Cx is the better device yet I'm finding it hard to justify simply because of the cost. The 60Cx is nearly double the price of the Venture Cx but doesn't seem to be double the GPS. So I'm wondering what people think here. I have a feeling it's going to be swayed towards the 60Cx but I'd really like to know why!

David

From what I can tell by the the VentureCx's description, it requires purchasing individual pre-programmed map cards. "simply plug optional preprogrammed cards into the unit." If I understand correctly, you cannot buy MapSource CD/DVDs and load whatever regions you want at will. I don't even know how that works as I don't see any City Select cards available as yet. I'm sure the cards will go for $100 a pop at least. If you lose the card or whatever, you gotta buy another one! It seems to me that that would be a serious limitation that would be a deal-breaker for me! I would spend the extra and at least get the LegendCx! But even THAT model seems limiting to me.

The 60Cx has the high-sensitivity Sirf III chipset which acquires and holds a lock in situations other models can't compete. With the new Beta firmware, you can write the active track log to the data card. On long trips I used to carry a loptop computer with me simply so I could download my track data before it filled up and needed to be cleaered. But this feature means I don't have to lug that thing around with me on trips anymore!!!

Edited by Neo_Geo

LOL OK well first of all the VentureCx IS the LegendCx, its just not bundled with: a USB cable, a 32mb card, and the basic waypoint/route management software. All of which i can get cheaper elsewhere. (see http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexventurecx.htm)

Also is that the main stuff the 60cx can do extra? I mean a high sensitivity chip would be nice but i doubt I'll need it that much. Also, I'd hope (cross fingers) that if the beta firmware goes well on the 60Cx they'll add the track log saving feature to other models like the VentureCx and LegendCx firmwares.

David

Edited by da_guy2

I dunno... They're touting that "preprogrammed data card" thing pretty loudly. Maybe GPS Central THINKS it's a LegendCx without the goodies. It could be that one little line of code in the firmware that won't accept maps from your MapSource program! Then again maybe Garmin wants you to think that the preprogrammed data card is the only way to get maps for it so they can gouge you voluntarily. Either way, I don't like how it's being marketed in that way. It's one of those "it remains to be seen" things. I'd wait and see what happens to the other guy first before I jumped on the VentureCx bandwagon!

IF you can in fact buy your own card and load maps from MapSource CDs to it, then it seems like you'd be saving about $45 USD for the cable, a 32MB card and the Trip & Waypoint software. The software itself is worthless if you're gonna buy City Select CDs. The cable can be had for about $12. That leaves $33 for the 32MB card. They can't even sell those on eBay for $7.00 including shipping! That seems just a little too good to be true.

Lotsa Luck if you go that route... :anibad:

The first time you lose a signal anywhere, you'll be thinkin', "I shoulda gotten the 60Cx!" Such thoughts will be justified IMHO.

...and what happens if crossing your fingers doesn't push Garmin enough to adding the track log on card option? I think that they would've added that feature to the lesser models by now if they were going to.

Other things the 60Cx offers is serial output with NMEA protocol, an external antenna jack and 1,000 waypoints (compared to 500).

Edited by Neo_Geo

Its finally time to upgrade my Garmin GPS III (though i still love it), and I'm debating between the etrex Venture Cx (same as the etrex Legend Cx) and the GPSMAP 60Cx. Now i know that the GPSMAP 60Cx is the better device yet I'm finding it hard to justify simply because of the cost. The 60Cx is nearly double the price of the Venture Cx but doesn't seem to be double the GPS. So I'm wondering what people think here. I have a feeling it's going to be swayed towards the 60Cx but I'd really like to know why!

David

Personally I like the overall performance of the new "x" brand chipsets. I have tried both the 76Cx and the 60Cx and the new SiRF chipset performs very well in the woods, holds a good signal.

BUT!! Be aware of the WAAS problem some of us are having with the "x" models. Some "x" units out there WAAS works great some it does'nt work at all and Garmin is not really telling us what the problem REALLY is. See our discussion in the post titled "Garmin 60csx Waas question".

But otherwise the "x" series is great.

buzpilot

First off, I've got a 60CSx and if you've got the money is is certainly the one you want to get. I personally haven't used a legend Cx but I have used a legend and I believe they have the same chipset. The 60CSx is 100 times better.

Also, I've had no troubles with WAAS on my 60CSx. Maybe I'm just lucky! :anibad:

Garmin's description of the VentureCx has been rather unclear. My initial impression based on the press release and product description page was also that it would only support mapping by way of pre-programmed cards and not downloaded from CD/DVDs. More recently Garmin updated the Accessories page to include assorted map software (CD/DVD-based) and also blank microSD cards in addition to pre-programmed ones, so now I think the VentureCx probably will let you download maps - but it would be nice if Garmin would clarify the issue, especially since it's still listed as being available in March of '06.

As to the higher cost of the 60Cx, it's pretty clear what some of the advantages are: more sensitive chipset, support for an external antenna, true NMEA support (lots of marine equipment such as auto-pilots, EPIRBs, VHF radios, radars, sonars, etc. will interface to GPS receivers but require an RS-232 type interface and NMEA messages), and a slightly larger screen.

If the original poster has no need for these extra features and found the sensitivity of his current GPS III to be adequate, then I'd guess he'd also be satisfied with either the VentureCx or LegendCx and could save some money relative to a 60Cx.