Owner Permission To Find?

Criminal

SCENARIO:

You’re shopping in the mall and come out after several hours and find your car is missing. All that remains in the empty parking spot is some broken safety glass. You call the police and mall security responds to the lot to take the report.

You: “Well, my car was parked right here but it’s gone.”

Mall Security (MS): “Right here in this empty spot?”

You: “Yes, all that’s left is this broken glass”

MS: “Oh, so you found your car.”

You: “What?”

MS: “You found your car when you came out of the mall right?”

You: “No, my car is gone, it’s been stolen.”

MS: “Well, you just said there was glass from your car here, so let’s just say you found it.”

You: “No! I didn’t find it! It’s gone!"

Just then, the mall owner shows up.

Mall Owner (MO): “Hi, I’m Jim Simon, owner of Simon Malls, what seems to be the problem?

You: “I was shopping in the mall and when I came out my car was gone.”

MO: “Where did you shop?”

You: “What? I shopped through the whole mall. What does that have to do with anything?”

MO: “Well, you walked about two miles overall then.

You: “Yes, easily that far.”

MO: “I’m going to allow you to say you found your car”

You: “What!?! Are you all insane? How can you say I found my car if it’s GONE!!!”

MS: “But you found where it was, and you found some of the car, right?”

MO: “And I’m going to allow you to say you found it.

You: “What?!!? Look, I need my car, I have to go to work tomorrow, and my spouse needs his truck at work!”

MO: "You have two cars?"

You: “Not anymore!”

MO: “It would be a shame for your numbers to be skewed because of what somebody else did, so I’m telling you that you can still say you have two cars. Thanks for shopping at Simon Malls.”

You: “WHAT!?!? This is pure insanity!!!

Indeed. :anibad:

Edited by Criminal
:anibad: Folks, I have suddenly become a numbers ho, and so I have hired a spam firm to send PMs to every cache owner listed at gc.com, asking each for permission to claim a find because I thought briefly of each of their caches and thus feel that I deserve to log a find on each of those caches. <_< If even 17% of these folks give me permission to log finds, I will then hire a data entry company to enter all the finds (just a generic find log entry, i.e., "Cache owner is a friend and gave me permission to log this find. Thanks for the cache!"), and then, within a short time I will have the highest find count in the world and will feel that I am quite famous. In fact, I have decided that anyone who reads this post is -- by the act of reading this post -- giving me de facto permission to log a find on every cache they own, and on all future caches which they or their offspring or other family members will ever place. :anibad::o:):(:P:anibad::ph34r::P:P:) Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Finder (F) “I found your car.”

Owner (O) “It’s a truck”

F: “Third light pole from the left at the mall?”

O: “Yup, but it’s a truck.”

F: “I’m pretty sure it’s a car. There is nothing else out here.”

O: “Hang on I’ll be right over.”

5 Min Later.

O: Whoah, It’s a car. That’s Lizzie’s Car.”

O: Calls Lizzie & puts her on the cell’s speaker phone.

O: “Lizzie, We found your car where my truck is supposed to be. Seen my truck”

L: “Strange, someone said they found your truck where my car’s supposed to be.”

F: “What did I find, your truck or her car? I mean I signed the bumper already, right where your truck is supposed to be and nowhere near where Lizzies’s car was.

O: Let’s check the log. “Strange, this is Jimmy’s bumper.”

O: Conferences in Jimmy “Yo, Jimmy I think we have your bumper”

J: “Funny, I’ve your bumper on my desk and I was going to call you. Frank found it on his Econobox”

O: “F, something is up, hang tight.”

F: Look, I just need to know what I found. I found your spot, I found Lizzie’s Car and I signed Jimmy’s bumper and I haven’t left this spot.”

Lizzie: “Um, where’s my bumper?”

Jimmy” Nevermind your bumper where’s my SUV?”

F: “Y’all are nuts. I’ll just log everything and let y’all sort it out.” Shakes head, and leaves.

<_< Folks, I have suddenly become a numbers ho, and so I have hired a spam firm to send PMs to every cache owner listed at gc.com, asking each for permission to claim a find because I thought briefly of each of their caches and thus feel that I deserve to log a find on each of those caches. :D

I'm considering a more targeted mailing. I'll send a message to every cache owner with a disabled cache: Since the cache isn't there, I can't find it, so can I post a find?

Ya know.. thinking about logging a find when you actually didn't find anything really just blows my mind.. I love the feeling of of finding an evil cache that is hidden in plain sight, even when it may have taken me three to four trips to find it! Posting DNFs just make posting that final Found It! so much better!! <_<

At a collector's car show where everyone gathers:

Cache owner: "I have owned lots of classic cars, but have sold them all off".

Friend: "That's cool, I wish I could have seen those old cars".

Cache owner: "Here's a 'retirement card' that will let you say you have seen them".

Friend: "But I haven't seen them", how can I say I have"?

Cache owner: "It's okay, you have my permission to say you have".

:blink: Folks, I have suddenly become a numbers ho, and so I have hired a spam firm to send PMs to every cache owner listed at gc.com, asking each for permission to claim a find because I thought briefly of each of their caches and thus feel that I deserve to log a find on each of those caches. :o

I'm considering a more targeted mailing. I'll send a message to every cache owner with a disabled cache: Since the cache isn't there, I can't find it, so can I post a find?

Good for you, but, off-the-record, I sneer at your puny attempt to log every disabled cache, for last nite my spam mailing company sent our PMs at GC.COM to owners of all ARCHIVED caches, and we are already seeing a 35%+ postitive return rate. In fact, my hired offshore data center folks in India now tell me that they have a backlog of 44,501 finds on archived caches to log for me.

Ya know.. thinking about logging a find when you actually didn't find anything really just blows my mind.. I love the feeling of of finding an evil cache that is hidden in plain sight, even when it may have taken me three to four trips to find it! Posting DNFs just make posting that final Found It! so much better!! :lol:

I agree completely. I logged so many DNFs on one particular cache, that I almost sent up fireworks when we finally found the blasted thing.

...Ring, Ring...

Police: Hey Joe, we found your car.

Joe: That's great

Police: Well not so great.

Joe: Really why?

Police: You better come see.

....Joe Comes to see...

Joe: What the hell is that?

Police: Well that over there is your bumper, over there, that's your engine, that's your radiator over there.

Joe: Well where's my steering wheel?

Police: Helluviknow

Joe: Well then you didn't find my car did you?

Police: Looks this is your car isn't it?

Joe: Well part yeah, but there's no steering wheel, and the engine won't start, so I want you to keep looking.

Fade to black

Lawdy! what a pathetic waste of resources

my spam mailing company sent our PMs at GC.COM to owners of all ARCHIVED caches, and we are already seeing a 35%+ postitive return rate. In fact, my hired offshore data center folks in India now tell me that they have a backlog of 44,501 finds on archived caches to log for me.

You OWN an archived cache don't you? Just log 45,000 smileys on it, silly. I'm sure you can set up a simple GSAK script to do it too.

Lawdy! what a pathetic waste of resources

my spam mailing company sent our PMs at GC.COM to owners of all ARCHIVED caches, and we are already seeing a 35%+ postitive return rate. In fact, my hired offshore data center folks in India now tell me that they have a backlog of 44,501 finds on archived caches to log for me.

You OWN an archived cache don't you? Just log 45,000 smileys on it, silly. I'm sure you can set up a simple GSAK script to do it too.

:huh: Silly me! That never occured to me, as I guess I got caught up in wanting logs on different caches! We have written a C++ script that will log 45,000 finds on not only our archived cache, but also on each of our 23 enabled caches, and this will give us over 1,080,000 finds! Thanks for the excellent suggestion! B)B)B):ph34r::ph34r::lol:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Happy to be of service to a fellow cacher. It's just SOOOO much easier using your own stuff. Logging your own means never having to say I'm sorry.

:ph34r::huh:B) I am humbled and honored by our wise words. Thank you for your fine assistance! I have initated the process which shall generate my 1,080,000 finds, and I wil also continue my earlier efforts to contact every cache owner in the universe and demand the right to log their caches as finds even though I did not find them. This will spread my finds over a larger cache base, and may well yield a final find count for me of well over 20,000,000 cache finds! Wonderful! :lol::ph34r:B)B)B):D

:laughing: April 27 by PPPPPPPP (2228 found)

CACHEOWNER has given me the okay to log this as a find (thanks so much). This is a good placement and should be fun when replaced...Sac-KY.

[view this log on a separate page]

Sheesh... permission to cheat, what a concept.

Thanks for the laughs guys. We also have this scenario in the area:

Police: "How long did it take you to find your car?"

Joe: "About 2 hours. I would have found it faster but I was stopped and detained by mall security for acting suspicious."

Police: "Well, how long would it have taken you to find your car without the mall security hassle?"

Joe: "About 15 minutes"

Police: "Ok, well, I'm just going to go ahead and allow you to say you found your car 8 times."

Joe: "What?"

Police: "Well, if it would have taken you 15 minutes to find your car, you could have found it 8 times in the 2 hours it ended up taking you. So just go ahead and say you found it 8 times."

Joe: "Ok, I will do that then!"

SCENARIO:

You're shopping in the mall and come out after several hours and find your car is missing. All that remains in the empty parking spot is some broken safety glass. You call the police and mall security responds to the lot to take the report.

<sniped for brevity>

To make this scenario more similar to geocaching . . .

Let's suppose that when you parked the car you realized that you had accidently locked the keys in the ignition. You then called a mechanic to come and assist (you don't have AAA.) While waiting for them you go into the mall and when you return to the parking lot, you find that it is missing. The mechanic has been there (exactly to the parking stall you said), but couldn't locate the car and is waiting for you. They want to bill you because you invited them to come and when you try and explain that the car has obviously been stolen they reply that it is not their fault that the car is stolen and deserve to be paid.

How would you respond?

Let's suppose that when you parked the car you realized that you had accidently locked the keys in the ignition. You then called a mechanic to come and assist (you don't have AAA.) While waiting for them you go into the mall and when you return to the parking lot, you find that it is missing. The mechanic has been there (exactly to the parking stall you said), but couldn't locate the car and is waiting for you. They want to bill you because you invited them to come and when you try and explain that the car has obviously been stolen they reply that it is not their fault that the car is stolen and deserve to be paid.

How would you respond?

The "invitation" is with the expectation that specific work will be performed upon the other party's arrival. Is your commute to and from work included in your timesheet or pay schedule? Or do you get paid based on your time actually at your desk/work area performing your job? (Not including jobs where the drive IS the work to be performed, obviously). And even if you are at your desk/work area, do you not have to be performing specific tasks in order to get credit for doing your job?

For geocaching, the specific task is to sign the log. No signie, no smiley.

****Disclaimer/disclosure: I have 1 find that was later determined to be a dead cache at the time of finding -- I made a discovery of a muggled cache, which was still the original container in the original spot, just empty (a micro). I placed a new log in the container and notified the owner who chose to move the cache to a new location and archive the listing because of Muggle activity in the area. I claimed the find because it was the cache itself, complete with Geocache labels, and at the time I logged it I couldn't tell if someone had just removed a full log & forgot to replace it or if it had been Muggled.....but had I only found the magnet, it would have been a DNF.

How would you respond?

The "invitation" is with the expectation that specific work will be performed upon the other party's arrival. Is your commute to and from work included in your timesheet or pay schedule? Or do you get paid based on your time actually at your desk/work area performing your job? (Not including jobs where the drive IS the work to be performed, obviously). And even if you are at your desk/work area, do you not have to be performing specific tasks in order to get credit for doing your job?

I think that the point is that the mechanic came prepared to do the work, as requested and cannot do it through no fault of his. I believe he should be paid for the time and mileage that was incured. He gave up time that could have been billed to another customer, but for having to leave the shop to answer this call. Most service providers have a minimum call out charge.

What if you had AAA? Should the driver who came out not be paid for his time?

How would you respond?

I think that the point is that the mechanic came prepared to do the work, as requested and cannot do it through no fault of his. I believe he should be paid for the time and mileage that was incured. He gave up time that could have been billed to another customer, but for having to leave the shop to answer this call. Most service providers have a minimum call out charge.

I know of very few businesses that pay on an intent-to-work basis, only upon actual work performed. I've also worked on commission before, where you can put in literally HOURS of work and not get paid a dime because for whatever reason the client decided not to purchase or purchased from someone else. The point is that in any instance of reward-for-service, there are certain requirements that must be met before the service is considered complete.

For geocaching, the requirement is: sign the log. Not how close you get to the spot, not how much time you spend on it, not whether you woulda if you coulda, but whether you signed the log (and completed any other task the owner gave you...like emailing answers or taking a picture or whatever). Almost like working on commission: put as much time into it as you need, but no paycheck until it's signed on the dotted line <_<

How would you respond?

I know of very few businesses that pay on an intent-to-work basis, only upon actual work performed. I've also worked on commission before, where you can put in literally HOURS of work and not get paid a dime because for whatever reason the client decided not to purchase or purchased from someone else. The point is that in any instance of reward-for-service, there are certain requirements that must be met before the service is considered complete.

For geocaching, the requirement is: sign the log. Not how close you get to the spot, not how much time you spend on it, not whether you woulda if you coulda, but whether you signed the log (and completed any other task the owner gave you...like emailing answers or taking a picture or whatever). Almost like working on commission: put as much time into it as you need, but no paycheck until it's signed on the dotted line <_<

I guess you are missing the point. In the hypothetical case proposed, the mechanic did work - he came out as requested, investing time and money. Through no fault of the mechanics, the need for additional services (i.e. opening the locked door) was not required. He should be paid for his work up to the point of arrival.

If a cacher locates one of my hides, only to discover that the box and log book has been stolen, and I am comfortable that they were at the right place and I verify that the log book is gone, then I see nothing wrong with them logging a find on the cache page. In your case, if you were not comfortable with that, I would be happy to let you sign a piece of paper at the cache location for me to retrieve later. Too bad I wouldn't have a log book to attach it to as it had been stolen.

Hm, perhaps you would also prefer for me to delete the logs of all those who found the cache before it was stolen as there is no longer any "proof" that they were there as the log book is gone too.

If a cacher locates one of my hides, only to discover that the box and log book has been stolen, and I am comfortable that they were at the right place and I verify that the log book is gone, then I see nothing wrong with them logging a find on the cache page. In your case, if you were not comfortable with that, I would be happy to let you sign a piece of paper at the cache location for me to retrieve later. Too bad I wouldn't have a log book to attach it to as it had been stolen.

You're giving them permission to tell a lie? If they didn't find it, how can they say they found it? <_<

You're giving them permission to tell a lie? If they didn't find it, how can they say they found it? ;)

My understanding (correct me if I am way off base) is that the purpose of the log book is to verify that you were there.

The use of the technology (GPSr in most cases) is the point of the exercise and demonstrates your skill with this technology in finding a precise location on the earth.

If a cacher finds this exact location, not a spot .1 metres away, but the exact location, and through no fault of their own (e.g. not that their arms are too short to reach the cache box) are unable to sign the log book, then in my opinion they have done what I asked of them -- found a unique spot in the universe using technology. They aren't lying - they found the spot.

Now, if the online log choice from the drop down menu was "Signed Log", rather than "Found It", then maybe that would be a lie.

You're giving them permission to tell a lie? If they didn't find it, how can they say they found it? ;)

My understanding (correct me if I am way off base) is that the purpose of the log book is to verify that you were there.

The use of the technology (GPSr in most cases) is the point of the exercise and demonstrates your skill with this technology in finding a precise location on the earth.

If a cacher finds this exact location, not a spot .1 metres away, but the exact location, and through no fault of their own (e.g. not that their arms are too short to reach the cache box) are unable to sign the log book, then in my opinion they have done what I asked of them -- found a unique spot in the universe using technology. They aren't lying - they found the spot.

Now, if the online log choice from the drop down menu was "Signed Log", rather than "Found It", then maybe that would be a lie.

No, the geocache site does not list locations. Try to get a cache approved that doesn't have a log and/or container, not happening. Found means you found the geocache, not arrived at a location or set of given coordinates. To claim to have found a geocache where there is none is a lie. The smiley :D is not a reward for effort; it's a representation of how many times one has successfully found a geocache.

EDIT: The logbook isn’t there for verification; it’s there to record the thoughts of the finders and to provide a record. There is no verification process; it’s all based on the honor system.

Edited by Criminal

No, the geocache site does not list locations. Try to get a cache approved that doesn't have a log and/or container, not happening. Found means you found the geocache, not arrived at a location or set of given coordinates. To claim to have found a geocache where there is none is a lie. The smiley :D is not a reward for effort; it's a representation of how many times one has successfully found a geocache.

I believe the do list locations. There are 'grandfathered' Virtuals, Webcams etc. Some people even log Benchmarks as found.

...For geocaching, the specific task is to sign the log. No signie, no smiley....

The task is to find the cache as the owner intends. It just happens that most owners are perfectly happy to have the finder sign the log. The log is not the only means of finding a cache, it's not the only hoop the owner may have you jump through to find the cache and log it online.

If the intent of the owner is to have you come to a specific loacation and see a specific thing and they don't care about the log, letting you log the find is permissible because you have met the owners expectations and enjoyed the cache experience they inteded for you to have.

If you read my joking post above about switched cars, it raises another question. If I go to spot A to find Cache A and find instead Cache B and Sign Log B did I find Cache A or Cache B? Locally we have to deal with this all the time and have pretty much decided we found cache A because the hunt and the find were all about what Owner A set out for us to experience. Besides sometimes we also find the logs for Cache C, D, and E in the same spot and don't think it's fair to claim a find on all 4 which would be valid if the "It's just the log that counts" way of thinking ruled the day.

I guess you are missing the point.

No, I'm not missing your point, I'm disagreeing with it. I see what you are saying but think that you are incorrect in saying so.

In the hypothetical case proposed, the mechanic did work - he came out as requested, investing time and money. Through no fault of the mechanics, the need for additional services (i.e. opening the locked door) was not required. He should be paid for his work up to the point of arrival.

So you're saying we should all be paid for our commutes to and from work regardless of whether we actually perform work while we're there? If you ever start a company, sign me up! ;)

Hm, perhaps you would also prefer for me to delete the logs of all those who found the cache before it was stolen as there is no longer any "proof" that they were there as the log book is gone too.

If there is no cache to find, there is no found. I can follow my GPS to '0' all day long and never find a cache. In fact, I'd probably NEVER find caches if I relied solely on the technology...the point is in finding what you were sent there to find. The log is a record of that, and the accepted standard for "found it". No it, no found, no "found it" smiley. If you're confident that you know the EXACT SPOT it was in, I don't see what the problem with going back for it once it's replaced by the owner would be.

In the hypothetical case proposed, the mechanic did work - he came out as requested, investing time and money. Through no fault of the mechanics, the need for additional services (i.e. opening the locked door) was not required. He should be paid for his work up to the point of arrival.

So you're saying we should all be paid for our commutes to and from work regardless of whether we actually perform work while we're there? If you ever start a company, sign me up! ;)

Actually, I do pay employees a portion of their normal fee, when they travel to a client's home and arrive to find a no-show (through no fault of their own.) Do you want to work in Canada. Maybe it is more enlightened here? :D

Edit: P.S. Sorry to OP for letting this get dragged off topic.

Edited by Maxima

<_< If you pay a portion of the normal fee, not only do I want an application but I'm willing to compromise because you are a man (woman? sorry, don't like to assume) of your principles...so maybe no smilie, but a winkie instead <_<

Speaking of enlightened Canadians, I did enjoy all of the have-pity-on-your-neighbors-marry-an-American sites after our disastrous election, teehee.

Edited by Velvet
<_< May 11 by ZZZZZZZZZ (258 found)

The owner gave me permission to log the find, although the final cache hes gone missing. We did enjoy working on this one and sloving the stages. TFTC

<_< May 8 by ZZZZZZZZZ (258 found)

Well, even after a clue I couldn't find it, I did take a little different approach this time to the final and found the boys drinking beer at the fire. I just walked by and nothing was said. I think the cache has gone missing.

[view this log on a separate page]

:tired: May 4 by ZZZZZZZZ(258 found)

Had a great tour but no cache.

Third time's the charm... :laughing: