How Do I Get Waypoints Into Street Atlas Handheld 2006?

I've poked around a while and I've searched the forums but haven't been able to figure out how to get waypoints into Street Atlas Handheld 2006 for the Palm. I'm not connected to a GPS... I've got a GPSr for that. I want to get a visual representation of the nearby caches overlayed on the map itself.

I have GSAK as well if I need to use that as a tool to get things into SA.

Thanks, kayakerinme

This may look overwhelming at first, but it gets easier once you're used to it. I can now run through this in under a minute!

HOW TO LOAD WAYPOINTS INTO STREET ATLAS USA 2006 HANDHELD

1. Download the LOC Waypoint File from the main page of a cache and save it to your desktop.

------------------

2. Open the file using Notepad.Exe and leave the file open.

------------------

3. Locate a file on your hard drive called: XMapHHWptsSend.txt

The default location is C:\DeLorme Docs\Mobile Maps\Wpts Transfer

The contents look like this:

BEGIN SYMBOL

END

------------------

4. Copy the "000" line of text below into the file so the text now looks like this:

BEGIN SYMBOL

00.0000000000,-00.0000000000,Type Name of WayPoint Here

END

------------------

5. Copy the coordinates from the LOC Waypoint File (Step 1) so this new line looks similar to this:

BEGIN SYMBOL

35.48905" lon="-97.6323333333333

END

------------------

6. Modify that new line so the number of digits and format match the line above it:

BEGIN SYMBOL

35.4890500000,-97.6323333333,Ward Park Cache II

END

-->> Notice that I added extra zeros to the first part (latitude) and deleted the last few digits of the last part (longitude) so the spacing was exactly the same length as the "00000" line. I also changed the name to "Ward Park Cache II" which is how it will be displayed on your PDA. There are no spaces in the line except between the word of the display text "Ward Park Cache II."

7. You can continue downloading LOC Waypoint Files for other caches and building more lines of text which will add multiple Waypoints to your handheld.

8. When you're finished, delete the entire "000" line you inserted in Step 4. There should be no spaces between the remaining lines of text.

9. Save the file and Synchronize - the waypoint(s) will now be on your handheld!

Slight Annoyance: It's almost uncommon that the coordinates are EXACTLY as displayed on the main page of a cache. Usually the very last digit of the latitude and/or longitude will be off by 1.

NOTE: When you double check the coordinates shown on your handheld, compare them to what is displayed on the main page of a cache and NOT what was shown in the LOC file you downloaded.

Actually, Clyde, those instructions are for Street Atlas Handheld 2005, not 2006. For the new version, for some reason known only to Delorme and whatever unholy demon watches over them, they dropped the last field (the icon) from their import format. I'm working on a CSV macro to dump it without the last field. Grrr.