Toughest Puzzle Yet?

gerboa

It has nothing to do with the attitude of the area, and team caching is an acceptable aspect to it. However, given the effort put into getting everything just right as I see it, I didn't want other cacher banding together (team a, team b, team c and team d) to collectively go out and search for it if fewer than one person from each team had done the work and solved the puzzle.

It has nothing to do with the attitude of the area, and team caching is an acceptable aspect to it. However, given the effort put into getting everything just right as I see it, I didn't want other cacher banding together (team a, team b, team c and team d) to collectively go out and search for it if fewer than one person from each team had done the work and solved the puzzle.

Having read all Team A.I's posts and googled the owner,, 8000 hits, I do believe the quoted post is another clue.

Now I've got a bombe runnung, could you place another puzle of this type please pretty please.?

Are you folks under the impression that an unsolvable puzzle is a good puzzle? Weird.

Making an impossible puzzle is completely trivial. In fact, when making a puzzle cache, it is very easy to make it much more difficult than you intended. I am not particularly impressed by any of the puzzles mentioned in this thread; in fact, in at least one case it looks like the hider is trying to prove how smart he is by placing an unsolvable puzzle.

Believe me, having a puzzle out there for a year unsolved is not an indication of a good puzzle cache.

Are you folks under the impression that an unsolvable puzzle is a good puzzle? Weird.

Making an impossible puzzle is completely trivial. In fact, when making a puzzle cache, it is very easy to make it much more difficult than you intended. I am not particularly impressed by any of the puzzles mentioned in this thread; in fact, in at least one case it looks like the hider is trying to prove how smart he is by placing an unsolvable puzzle.

Believe me, having a puzzle out there for a year unsolved is not an indication of a good puzzle cache.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Seems like a "straight to the ignore list" cache for me.

I could make a puzzle cache in 20 minutes this afternoon that nobody will be able to solve for all time...that would not make it a good cache (in my opinion)...a cache should be possible to solve with a level of difficulty proportional to it's difficulty rating.

Jamie - NFA

The best one I've heard about was set by a friend of a friend. To date, only one person has found it; he signed the paper log, but did not log it on-line.

Its an urban cache, in a highly cluttered area. The cache owner mounted a hollowed out, stolen (!!!) security camera on the side of a building and thats the cache!

I agree 100%, well said.

It's easy to create something so esoteric it's unsolvable.

It's much more difficult to create a FUN, unique puzzle which most all geocachers can solve, given a modicum of time and thought.

Best,

Mr. W.

I would like to disagree. I helped create San-Fran-Cisco. For every puzzle there has to be a solution. You have to show the approver how it is solved. I could create an unsolveable puzzle. The point is that has to be solveable though.

I can also say that I used to absolutely HATE puzzle caches. I mean HATE. The more I do however, the more my brain works. The more I struggle mentally with it.

And remember that everyone plays the game a little differently.

I agree 100%, well said.

It's easy to create something so esoteric it's unsolvable.

It's much more difficult to create a FUN, unique puzzle which most all geocachers can solve, given a modicum of time and thought.

Best,

Mr. W.

I love puzzle caches, but they do often seem VERY esoteric. In fact, I think I will one day create a puzzle cache titled "Just another esoteric puzzle cache."

For the record, my favorite puzzle caches have been those that get you started in the right direction, or provide some "in" to the puzzle.

π is a fun one around here.

Agreed, an unsolvable puzzle is moot. However, just because a puzzle goes unsolved doesn't mean it's unsolvable, or even that it's difficult. What makes for a good puzzle is the expansion of consciousness necessary to find the solution. Some very easy puzzles are also very good (and some are not), some very difficult puzzles are a waste of time (and some are not). I believe my unsolved puzzle is very good, but I may be mistaken. The answer must be found in the heart of the finder(s).

In any case, I believe having unsolved puzzles "out there" is good for the community.

Edited by salmoned