Traditional Vs Micro

Today I was searching for caches to go hunt and the majority were Micros. A lot were hidden along hiking or biking trails where a traditional cache would easily fit. These turn me off!

Then I got to thinking, why care? I don't normally take anything, so why care if it's a traditional cache or a micro? Both lead me to the same spot.

I've found a lot of micros that are cleaverly hidden, but I prefer traditional caches. There is something about a micro that leaves me feeling empty. Why is that?

El Diablo

There is something about a micro that leaves me feeling empty. Why is that?

Probably cause there is nothing in it but a cramped log. :bad:

I prefer the larger caches as well, I rarely trade, but I still like going through the stuff, and reading the logbook, which is big enough for longer notes. It just seems more rewarding to find something full of stuff, instead of a small match case. I still like clever micros, particularly in places where they are unique or where a bigger one wouldn't go.

Its the location they say. Even though a micro has a location. It does't have the clink or smell of a nice ammo can. Even though we don't really look for a nice trade, its nice to come across some trinket that is real cool and you just have to have it. Wait I only have a $5spot in the leathers, oh well tis better to trade up; than sign a wee little bit of paper.

I'm thinking its lack of enthusiasm from the owner. "Hey everybody I found this spot that was so cool I just had to put this micro here. I've been carrying around lots of micros in for when I come across one of these neat places I'll be ready. I even spent a whole nickel to print out a micro log sheet and put it in a soon to be wet pill bottle."

But if you read about other caches, you might hear about the time or fun they had creating the cache. How difficult it was make it blend in, how long they collected items for the cache, or packing the cache out to the spot, or really just anything other than 'another tiny cache in the big woods' :bad: .

Personally, my favorite cache I've hidden is my Multi. It requires you find a micro in the woods, then get the coords to a big metal barrel. Also you may have to hike around a mile if you do not have a serious 4x4. It gets slow traffic, but I always get the best and most detailed logs from cachers who had a good time hunting. I rarely get that from a micro.

I've found a lot of micros that are cleaverly hidden, but I prefer traditional caches. There is something about a micro that leaves me feeling empty. Why is that?

Well for me:

1-I enjoy the anticipation of opening it up and also looking through the contents even if I don't plan on trading.

2-Micros can't fit most travel bugs. I enjoy finding them and moving them around.

3-I like reading through the log book if I have the time. The line after line of nothing but initials and dates in most micros isn't quite as interesting.

4-There is something about the clunk of an ammo box as you're pulling it out of its hidey hole and the sucking sound when you open it.

5. The vast majority of micros are hidden in uninteresting or unappealing places. Its not the container that leaves me feeling empty, its the location.

Micros hummmmm

My feeling, I can hide a micro rated a 1/5...ok that sounds like a good one to find....ops accessability may be 4 weeks a year..... maybe to see if I can get 1000DNF beforee a find....hey Thats not my lifestyle.

You could go expense to try to get a TB approval for a micro without having the tag....There are people who can write a lot on a kernal of rice....Maybe a geospeak rice kernal travel bug.....Nah

I have learned a lot for stocking my caches to come out this year, by finding caches with stuff in them...

My FTF trophy was a crystal goblet engraved with 1st to find on it.... It sets proudly on my bookcase.

To me its almost like a person cant camoflage an amo can or tupper ware so they decide to hide altoid boxes or bison tubes.

Sure in urban areas it my be the only way to cache, but in open areas away from towns(like our area) cans and tupper ware work best....

I have 4 grandkids that go with me at times to geocache and their first question is...."grandpa is it a micro?"

If i saw yes they say we will stay at home.

I talked to one person who only hides micros in rural areas he tells me he likes the DNFs cause it build hi ego as a cacher...Ok fine... Then in my opinion he needs to step up to hide bigger stuff that may have some DNFs

In my opinion having virtual caches, so handicapped people have a chance to enjoy our sport is more important than a micro at 14,000...

Micro's don't have a lot going for them.

The logs are typically to small to write in and write well. Half the time the log gets mangled just trying to get it out.

They don't have swag and most people even if they don't normally trade, like the look Just In Case the same way most people like checking their mail.

The hide itself has an increased difficulty for no better reason than the container is small.

While some people say they like the location, most people wouldn't bother with the location if not for the cache that drew them there. We don't find caches because of locations, we find locations because of caches.

What it comes down to is that caching is about caches, and larger containers have the spark of potential where micro's don't.

Micros three strikes:

1. I enjoy the navigation to the site much more than the search after I am there. Guess I am just too much of an Orienteer.

2. I do not enjoy trying to be inconspicuous in high traffic areas where it seems most micros tend to be.

3. I like to have something to say in a logbook. Micros have none and usually there isn't much to say anyway.

Edited by edscott

Micros three strikes:

1. I enjoy the navigation to the site much more than the search after I am there. Guess I am just too much of an Orienteer.

2. I do not enjoy trying to be inconspicuous in high traffic areas where it seems most micros tend to be.

3. I like to have something to say in a logbook. Micros have none and usually there isn't much to say anyway.

Like others, I like to look through the logbook to read the entries, and look through the trade items (although I rarely ever take/leave something). Plus, there's room for TBs and Geocoins in traditional.

However, I don't hate micros...I hate crappy micros.

Micros tend (95% of the time) to be in lousy locations. Parking lots, guardrails, behind a store. For 95% of them, if it took me 5 minutes to find it, that's 4 minutes longer than the hider spent planning and placing it. They're usually the "Hey, I was stopping at the grocery store and had a container in my car, so I decided to place this cache!" or "I noticed this rest area doesn't have any caches and I had one in the car" type hides. A good example is a rest area micro around here, where there is this huge walking area with picnic tables and all kinds of trees and woods....and the micro is stuck behind a metal sign right next to the dumpter 10 feet from a parking space.

However, I have done a few micros that have been camo'd very well to blend in and the hider actually spent some time planning/building/placing it. I enjoy those, but they are few and far between.

My Rules (subject to change without notice)

1. Micro Cache = Automatic Ignore

2. Small Cache = I look once. If I can’t find it then I ignore it.

3. All others = I search till I drop.

Some folks might get their jollies installing a microscopic hinge and latch mechanism on a walnut, stuffing a slip of paper inside and dropping it under a walnut tree, but I’m not going to go look for the little bugger!

Its a good thing we have a new thread whining about micros because the old one was almost a quater of the way down the page. People might have missed it. :anibad:

Did anyone ever notice there are never any pictures in the rotation on the geocaching.com main page of someone standing around in a parking lot next to a lamp post skirt?

I really, really do not understand micro-bashing. I live in an urban environment, and there tend to be many micros around my home. You cannot imgine the clever ways that some of these have been hidden, or the joy I have experienced actually finding some of them.

I do tend to dislike micros hidden in the woods, or other places where a larger cache could easily be placed--but on the other hand, it was a micro in the woods that took me on one of my greatest caching adventures ever (It marked the cut-off for a trail I wanted to take--and led me to the hike leader who would brave out there with 16 people one cold winter morning. I ended up falling in the creek, met some very special people, and had the time of my life).

I tried placing an ammo can in some woods, not far off a road in a semi-rural area, and would you believe it, some of the logs tend to smirk that the hide was "wasted" on an ammo can. I supposed that is because it didn't take long enough to get to the cache, or the path was too easy. So, OK, I get it. I really doesn't take much imagination to hide an ammo can in the woods, either. I thought people would appreciate me putting a larger cache there, just because I could, and it really is a pretty little spot. Nah, some of them still aren't pleased. Go figure.

So I decided that you can't please all the people all the time, and I stopped worrying about size. I guess size doesn't matter, as long as you're having fun. I am still having fun. You put out the kind of cache you want, I will hunt it if it sounds interesting to me. I will put out the kind of cache I want, you can find it if you want.

The main reason I got started in this was to get me out doors and to get some exercise.

My first find was a small container that I found while waiting for my GPSr to be delivered.

After that we hit a couple of virtuals to get the feel and then moved on to close ones that required some hiking.

This weekend we did a couple of nice hikes with terrain ratings of 3.5 and 4 on Saturday and then decided to find out what the micro thing was all about.

A couple of lamp post skirts and a mall hide.

When I got home I went through GSAK and deleted all the micros.

Maybe, if I clear out all the great hikes we have around here and get bored in the winter I'll set up a PQ for micros.

I really, really do not understand micro-bashing. I live in an urban environment, and there tend to be many micros around my home. You cannot imgine the clever ways that some of these have been hidden, or the joy I have experienced actually finding some of them.

Yes ... No Micro bashing please. There are plenty of areas that micros have taken me to that were quite enjoyable and .... no place to hide a traditional cache. I do not mind micros in the woods if some sort of reference, such as a ribbon in a tree, is placed to let me know I am searching in the right place.

What I really like is....... a very clever hide. :blink: ImpalaBob

Ignoring all micros sound slike throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I've found some great micros! (And I've hidden a few that some people think are pretty good.) Unfortunately, the ratio of great micros to pathetic ones seems very low. The one in the guard rail next to the pizzeria was really sad. I'm not enthralled by micros where a larger contianer could have been hidden. I seem to be finding far too many of them recently. Nice hikes on nice trails, but the hider could have done better.

Urban areas are a special challenge. I know. I've found most of the caches on Manhattan Island. There are some great ones. Many only last a week or so. There is a major muggle factor in this sort of area. A great micro here is a thing of beauty!

AS a rule I pass them up unless I'm right there and its handy. I don't go out of my way for them. I just don't care for the tiny log sheet and just putting date and name. I can apprecaite a clever hiding place of one, but again, I seldom see them as I don't hunt them if anything else is available in the area. The exception is multis that have a large container at the end so you can add items like TB or Coins and write a decent log entry. The further I have to go for it, the less appreciative I am it its a micro and more ticked if its all wet inside. I'm sure that they have an audience but that would not be me. then again, the beauty of the hobby is there is something in it for everyone.

SwampYankee

I think I might have a little bit of number junkie in me, or maybe it's just that I still like to sign the log book and see if there is anything that I want to trade....Micros don't bother me in the least, but I really don't care much for multi-caches.

I find myself feeling annoyed that they didn't just put the one really good cache out, instead of making me hunt all the (usually) micros that don't count, aren't (usually) anywhere interesting, and don't (usually) have enough room to trade or a log book to write anything about the search. Especially when they are in the woods. I usually wish they had saved the spaces for what I think of as "real" caches.

At least some micros can take small trade items, and lots of them are either cleverly hidden or in interesting places.

im in a area id say least 60-70 percent of our caches are micros. especially those closer to town. there are a handful of them that are awsome absolutely ingenius and a bigger cache just wouldnt have worked. so i agree that micros have their place. that being said im a big fan of ammo size caches. after huntin for all these micros the sight of a normal cache is just refreshing.

the real problem i have and this one really drives me up the wall is when people post micros as traditionals. it happens all the time here. it bugs when your tryin to drop off a TB and cache is a micro when its posted traditional.

also i tend to see a trend of people using less than water proof containers when hiding a micro. im one of those people that will submerge all containers i plan on using just to check if there is water leakage

We went geocaching this last weekend about 80 miles from home when we were spending the weekend with our daughter. I saw nothing fun in walking up to a lamppost and lifting the skirt to find the micro (this was my first lamppost micro, but I knew what to expect from the forums), nor did I find it fun to hunt in a large clump of trees for a bison tube (after about 10 minutes of looking in the clump of trees, we went on to a more interesting ammo can hide). A larger cache could have been placed there, or farther in the woods for a more interesting hide.

Micros do have their place, but as so many have pointed out, it seems that the majority are put out by people not willing to take the time to creatively find a place for a more traditional cache.

We enjoy taking people on nice hikes, to scenic vistas, to new parks, or places of interest. What is interesting about a lamppost? What is interesting about a waterproof match container tied to a cedar branch? Our latest cache is in plain sight when you get to ground zero, and it is probably 2' x 3' in diameter. The fun with that one is the camouflage!

Yes, we have a small container (almost a micro.. an altoids tin) as a cache in a local park, but since the park looks like the perfect hangout for all the neighborhood kids, we felt a larger container would be found easily. I know if we lived nearby, my kids would have explored it thoroughly when they were younger.

We hunt micros if we are in the area of one, but sure don't go out of our way for them.

if it's a traditional cache or a micro?

El Diablo

Hmm, aren't most micro's traditional caches? (Hey, someone had to bring up the old "size vs. type" comment)

The only reason I dislike micro's in the woods is there is too many dang places to look/hide. I really don't like 'needle-in-haystack' hides, but other than that, size isn't critical to me.

Did anyone ever notice there are never any pictures in the rotation on the geocaching.com main page of someone standing around in a parking lot next to a lamp post skirt?

Do you think it's because they don't choose those pictures for the front page, or because those pictures never get taken?

Either way, same conclusion. Micros suck so bad it's not even worth taking and/or viewing a picture of the experience...

the real problem i have and this one really drives me up the wall is when people post micros as traditionals. it happens all the time here. it bugs when your tryin to drop off a TB and cache is a micro when its posted traditional.

A micro is a traditional cache. Traditional is a type of hide. Some other types are puzzle, multi, letterbox hybrid etc. Traditional just means that the cache is at the coords listed, has only one stage, and you should be able to find it using those cords.

Or were you thinking of "regular" size? Folks in my area are good about reporting size accurately. If I want to drop off a TB, I know to look for at least a regular size cache, if not even a large.

Umm, micros are traditional caches - or they could be puzzles, or multis too. They are a size, not a type.

It was almost to the bottom of the page before someone pointed out "traditional" was a type while "micro" was a size.

I've always felt that micros should only be used if a larger container will not work. In fact, the vast majority of the time a larger container could be hidden--I'd say upwards of 90% of the time. So, just what is the purpose of hiding a micro when a larger container would fit? Ease? To show off "prowess?" "Stump the cacher?" I'm always much more impressed when someone can hide a regular or large container where most would toss a micro.

Not that I'm down on micros. I love a good micro, but only if it "fits."

So, just what is the purpose of hiding a micro when a larger container would fit? Ease? To show off "prowess?" "Stump the cacher?" I'm always much more impressed when someone can hide a regular or large container where most would toss a micro.

Most of the time its laziness. All you have to do is find a film canister, tear off a strip of notebook paper (I've found ones where the hider was too lazy to use scissors) and you have a cache.

As far as "prowness" and "stumping the cacher", anyone can hide a Bison cylinder or Altoids tin and make it hard to find. If you really want to show your prowness, hide a .50 cal ammo box and make it a challenge to find.

I place Micro's in the woods and on hiking trails just for the straight fact I like hiding mean caches and reading the response of the logs too. ;)GCRKMB

;)

I like the fact that you at least admit they are mean caches.

Micro or not, I can usually tell if someone took the effort to hide a cache. Resourceful attachment of "standard" containers (film can, altoids tin), and good coordinates are signs that the hider actually took the time.

Edited by budd-rdc

Today I was searching for caches to go hunt and the majority were Micros. A lot were hidden along hiking or biking trails where a traditional cache would easily fit. These turn me off!

Then I got to thinking, why care? I don't normally take anything, so why care if it's a traditional cache or a micro? Both lead me to the same spot.

El Diablo

I have seen the same thing. As I have said before, micros hidden in area that will support a large cache are placed there by cachers that are to cheap to spend more than ten cents to hide a cache. I am sure i will get flamed again as I have in the past, but I do not care.

Sure some will say it takes a lot of skill to hide a micro, what a bunch of bull that is. Now I am seeing caches in N. Cal that are infecltng that area that are called Florida style, gee a small Zip lock bag covered in duct tape with a magnet, that is even cheaper than a film can.

I am sure some will say if you do not like micros don't do them. It is not a question of liking micros, untill you get to were the caches is hidden you do not always know if the it is a good area for a micro.

Then you have the problem of cacher walking on the plant life in and area looking for a micro because some clown thought an area that would support the hidding on a 747 would be a good place to place a film canister.

Sure a micro in an urban setting with a limeted number of places to hide a cache is one thing.

What timming, I just got the cache approve Yesturday

JV hates micro spew :ph34r:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Having placed full size and micros about evenly, my take is this: IF POSSIBLE-place a full size cache, traders are usually loved, and the log books make for fun reading. If only a micro is possible, and there is a purpose to it, DO IT.

We hide micros in town to mark neat restaurants and coffee houses. The local GC'ers know when they see one of our two theme named caches, where they are going, whether it be Italian/Greek food, or a stop for coffee.

Absolutely POINTLESS pad your numbers swill drives me nuts, though. I have hidden a few 1/1 caches, but there was a reason for bringing you there. I detest stupid pointless caches, along with the horrific bush dive hides. "Hey look hon, so and so just put out a new hide, and looking at Google Earth, it's another pointless urban micro bushdive from hell! Wanna go hunt it, and would you rather have your earlobe removed with a pair of pliers?". Invariably, my spouse and I would choose the pliers route. Less painful. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

Hey! El Diablo, I don't know why you're left feeling empty. They don't have that effect on me.

I've been converting some of my forest micros to ammo cans, but this is for maintence ease basically. I've also converting some of my trading caches to micros, this where they're in floodplains. It's just cheaper when you start replacing numbers of caches post hurricane.

I do want ONCE AGAIN to express the dissenting view. Micros are fine, micros are good, and there isn't some sort of intuitively obvious LAW that "if the cache area can support a large cache you should place one". I've had this statement appear on some of my caches. I alway email the person making it and offer to archive my micro if they'd like to place a trading cache in the area. It hasn't happened yet.

I hate haystack hides as much as the next person, but I've seen ammo can hides that were just as "haystack" as a matchsafe. With all the hurricanes there are section of the woods that are giant lumber piles. Unbelievable numbers of hidey holes.

Now I am seeing caches in N. Cal that are infecltng that area that are called Florida style, gee a small Zip lock bag covered in duct tape with a magnet, that is even cheaper than a film can.

Dang, that's not Florida Style. Florida style is "in the palmettos". Anyway, here in Florida those are called Slim Bobs and they're actually more expensive than a film can, more fragile but perfect for some hides.

Now I am seeing caches in N. Cal that are infecltng that area that are called Florida style, gee a small Zip lock bag covered in duct tape with a magnet, that is even cheaper than a film can.

Odd, I live in Florida and I've never seen this type of hide... :D

My personal take on micros is that they often show a lack of imagination. Dropping a film cannister in the bushes of every Burger King from Daytona Beach to Titusville does not, (in my opinion), a geocacher make. That being said, some of my favorite finds were micros, primarily because the person that hid them took the time to create a clever hide. I personally tend to follow the addage of; Place the largest container than an area will support, in my hides, but I do own one micro, and I've got a parking lot micro in the works that I think will impress folks.

I reckon if you take me to a kewl location, and give me a clever hide, I won't cuss you if it's a bison tube. :D

...there isn't some sort of intuitively obvious LAW that "if the cache area can support a large cache you should place one".

Well, no, but the hobby is called geocaching and is based on placing caches that have trade items. Applying even a modicum of logic will reveal that you should at least place a cache that will support trade items if at all possible.

As for being in a flood plain, an ammo can will work just fine. If you are concerned about it floating off I'd think the first avenue of defense is tether it.