Cachers In Ascot Area?

:bad: A bit off-topic, but I wonder if a kind cacher in the Sunninghill or Sunningdale area would be prepared to do me a very big favour??

I live near Cambridge and on a recent trip down to Bristol stopped off in the Ascot area for the first time in 29 years to try and find the grave of my great aunt who died sometime in the early 1980's when I was living in Africa.

I had time to scuttle around two cemeteries, GPSr in hand, All Souls in South Ascot and St Michaels & All Angels in Sunninghill but could find no sign of her grave.

The only other place I can think she could perhaps be is Holy Trinity C of E, Church Road, Sunningdale?

If some kind person would be prepared to have a look around the churchyard for a Dorothy Muriel Blackman (probably with her husband Fred Blackman) - who was born in 1898 and died sometime around 1980 I'd be very much obliged indeed as I don't know when I'm likely to be down that way again.

I'd like one day to pay my respects - but also, the dates on the stone would help me research my family history.

TIA!

AntarcticMan

Thanks all - I'm very grateful! :bad:

I probably should mention that her husband - Fred Blackman - died sometime in the early 1960's - so she may be in the same grave, dated then and not in the early 80's when she died.

She used to live at 24 Lower Village Rd., and used to cycle to church until she was well into her 70's - so I'd guess she wasn't traveling too far.

You're right - I've just found it - its at the end of Kiln Lane, off Silwood Rd! I didn't even know of that one.

A colleague has just told me that Diana Dors is also buried there (somewhere near N51 24.129 W0 37.926 - or that end of the cemetary she thinks)

I also will have a look and, if anyone else gets around to it before I can, don't forget there's the Municipal (I think that's the right word) cemetery at the back of Sunningdale, about 1/2 mile N of the church.

Eckington

She used to live at 24 Lower Village Rd., and used to cycle to church until she was well into her 70's - so I'd guess she wasn't traveling too far.

Lower Village Road is firmly in St Michael's and All Angel's territory, so if she isn't there the Municipal would seem to be the best bet.

I'll see if there are any oldsters in the club to-night, some one might remember them.......

Eckington

You're right - I've just found it - its at the end of Kiln Lane, off Silwood Rd! I didn't even know of that one.

A colleague has just told me that Diana Dors is also buried there (somewhere near N51 24.129 W0 37.926 - or that end of the cemetary she thinks)

Well, I set off today after work to see what I could see. The Municipal cemetery is fairly small so it didn't take long to look round there, unfortunately no sign of any Blackmans. Your waypoint for Diana Dors (whoever she may have been) was quite accurate though.

dianadors.jpg

Then I went to Holy Trinity C of E, Church Road, which is substantially bigger. Alas I could find no Blackmans here either, I may have missed them I suppose, although I did have a good look around, especially in the areas which were from the right era.

So, no smiley for me, just another DNF...

Well, I set off today after work to see what I could see. The Municipal cemetery is fairly small so it didn't take long to look round there, unfortunately no sign of any Blackmans. Your waypoint for Diana Dors (whoever she may have been) was quite accurate though.

dianadors.jpg

Then I went to Holy Trinity C of E, Church Road, which is substantially bigger. Alas I could find no Blackmans here either, I may have missed them I suppose, although I did have a good look around, especially in the areas which were from the right era.

Diana Dors was an actresss and at the hight of her career was classed as another Marilyn Monroe. I thought she was great but obviosly not that great that the young ones cant remember her LOL. The part that has puzzled me on seeing the photo of her grave is why her hubby Alan is not on there?

When I saw the photo it reminded me of when she did the video with Adam Ant....Prince Charming??? Now I can hear you saying.....who's Adam Ant LOL

Lolly

Your waypoint for Diana Dors (whoever she may have been) was quite accurate though.

She was born Diana Fluck, but changed her name for unknown reasons.

civilised

Thanks so much for your trouble. I'm struggling to find her in the Births Marriages and Deaths records, so it would have been a big help to find her actual dates from a gravestone. Its a puzzle, as I have a memory of her executor mentioning a grave stone - so I dodn't think she was cremated and the ashes scattered.

It's amazing what you can find online these days - all I knew about her brother was his name and the fact that he once commanded a submarine in WW1. A quick search online found his service record, a picture of his submarine, and a picture of him taken in 1947 when he was captain of the Ryder Cup Golf team! But all I can find of my Grt Aunt Dorothy is one mention in the 1901 census.

But I must say that Mapsource, Google Earth and my trusty GPS are all proving very useful tools!

Diana Dors was THE British movie star when I was a child. Britains answer to Marilyn Munroe - makes me feel old to think she is dead and buried already!!

Cheers - and thanks again,

Richard

dianadors.jpg

Diana Dors was an actresss and at the hight of her career was classed as another Marilyn Monroe. I thought she was great but obviosly not that great that the young ones cant remember her LOL. The part that has puzzled me on seeing the photo of her grave is why her hubby Alan is not on there?

When I saw the photo it reminded me of when she did the video with Adam Ant....Prince Charming??? Now I can hear you saying.....who's Adam Ant LOL

Lolly

Jim, our revered (and retired) postman vaguely remembers them, he thinks. But is also certain that, unless they were cremated, they would most likely finish up in St Michael's, though some one from Lower Village might have frequented South Ascot (All Soul's?)

I think he was a Surveyor - or something similar - and was involved in laying-out the sports field a block or two away, in the 1930's when men were unemployed and put to work on public projects. Sadly their last friend, a Miss Lewis, who was also my Aunts executor is probably long dead now. (I think I may have seen her grave in St Michaels. )

I have a very moving photo of her brother Harry's widow and children. Harry was killed in WW1 and one of the little boys is holding a picture of his dead daddy. I guess all those children are also in their graves now!

I wish I knew more about them - but it may be just too late. Anyway - thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I think he was a Surveyor - or something similar - and was involved in laying-out the sports field a block or two away, in the 1930's when men were unemployed and put to work on public projects.

I have a very moving photo of her brother Harry's widow and children. Harry was killed in WW1 and one of the little boys is holding a picture of his dead daddy. I guess all those children are also in their graves now!

Now that I know a little about.

The playing fields, "The Victory Field", were, as you say, laid out by local ex-servicemen in the late 20's. These lads needed somewhere to go for a cheap pint after their work and a local benefactor gave them a wodden socal hut to have a beer or two in.

This is still standing today and is known as "The Comrades Club", it is the club I referred to in an earlier post where I am on the management committee!

We have a small memorial to the local dead of both wars so if you have a name I can see if it is on there.

E.