We Found One! Now What Do We Do?

PaRacers

We're fairly new to geocaching and even newer to the world of benchmarks. While placing a geocache in a remote hiltop area, we noticed a witness post. Further investigation, and several trips later for tools has produced our first "buried" benchmark. See pic. We carefully cleaned it off and took pics, but I can't seem to figure out how to look it up. A search on geocaching.com's benchmark page returned one result for 145 HLZ but its in SC and we are in PA. Am I dealing with "apples and oranges" here or am I missing something?

15af9e9a-2f1d-4e38-8eeb-acab2e6acdcb.jpg

It's like comparing Rome Apples to Golden Delicious, really. You can check out the whole story here, but basically, the Geocaching database is an old snapshot of the National Geodetic Survey database, just one of many agencies that put out control marks.

Personally, I'd search near the lat/long of where you found it to see if there are any marks in the area. However, it very well may be that it's not in the NGS database. If that's the case, and if you are so inclined, you can waymark it in the Recovered US Benchmarks waymark category.

SLer

Looking at that picture, if I'm not mistaken, there seems to be some sort of metal pipe around the right side and bottom that the disk is mounted in. In that case it may be that the disk is mounted on a steel rod within the pipe. Originally there may have been a cap on top of the whole thing.

If you go back, you might check 2 things: 1) was there a sign on the witness pole? What exactly did it say? 2) dig or probe down around the sides, especially the right side. Is there a pipe going down into the ground?

A rather nice find.

Those Department of interior elevation markers are a sweet find. I found several while hunting, caching or hiking. My favorite was up on Berthoud Pass, at the pass, I decided to hike on up to see the sights. I was standing there pondering the thought that I might be the first person in that particular spot, I looked down and what should I see..... Oh well, it was a nice thought. I know of no database they are listed on. Glen