Can Someone Tell My What The Point Is In............

5¢

Can someone tell me what the point is in logging event pages multiple times for event caches is? The other thing I wonder is that runs in conjunction with the previous question is why make another cache page which is not the actual event to log these event caches?

I guess I don't get the thought process. My view is you showed up to the event and logged a cache that was available for one day, so you feel that you have a right to log an extra few finds on somethings that most cachers didn't have the ability to log.

Can anyone who does this help me understand?

It's simply a numbers-pumping (pimping) phenomenon. Many events involve temporary caches hidden for the entertainment of the attendees. SOME of the attendees think they should get credit for these temporary caches, and since they are not REAL (permanent, listed, approved) caches, the only way is to post multiple 'finds' for the event. Apparently, the event hosts are either in on it, or are intimidated by the high-numbers attendees, and allow the multiple postings. This seems to be mostly an East-coast phenomenon.

Personally, I think it's lame.

there was a discussion about this fairly recently in the website forum. here's the link.

i personally don't like it but people do what they're going to do, and if the event hosts don't mind, neither do i. we usually hide caches for our events but they're actual caches, and we don't hide so many that 1) they can't be listed and 2) that people are out caching rather than socializing.

:laughing:

I agree, multiple finds on an event page is lame. But here's what I don't get....If you're hosting an event and going through the trouble of hiding temp caches, why not make them permanent? We are hosting a CITO event and every cache we put out is a permanent one for just that reason. I feel that anyone taking the time to hunt them deserves to log a find.

I will allow attendees to log any coins & tb's we have that day. This has been done at each event I have attended. What's the general concensus on that habit? Good, bad or doesn't really matter since it doesn't earn you a smiley?

I agree, multiple finds on an event page is lame. But here's what I don't get....If you're hosting an event and going through the trouble of hiding temp caches, why not make them permanent? We are hosting a CITO event and every cache we put out is a permanent one for just that reason. I feel that anyone taking the time to hunt them deserves to log a find.

I can think of numerous reasons why you might not place a permanent cache at an event site -

* The park isn't comfortable with this whole caching thing, but okayed it just for the day.

* There's a really cool spot that's too close to an existing cache so it can't be listed permanently.

* The temporary caches are too close to one another.

* The event location is too far from home for folks to maintain caches at.

I'm sure there's plenty more. But I agree that I would prefer that caches be hidden for long-term enjoyment if possible. If they can't be, then I've gotten my smiley for finding them when I log the event.

I will allow attendees to log any coins & tb's we have that day. This has been done at each event I have attended. What's the general concensus on that habit? Good, bad or doesn't really matter since it doesn't earn you a smiley?

There's nothing wrong with this at all. Folks often bring travel bugs and geocoins to share and to pass on to those who can help them with their goals. I've often seen a table or a box set up for collecting them in one place.

This seems to be mostly an East-coast phenomenon.

Never saw it in NJ, or CT (except for one numbers hound who does it). I think its more a midwest thing. At least that's where I see most of it happening.

I never got into the counting coup thing with TBs and geocoins. My personal rule is that I have to find them in a cache. I guess that if people actually touch, or at least see the things at an event its OK. At least they saw it. What I really don't get is when people walk around with printouts of TB and geocoin numbers and give them out for people to log. You never even saw the freakin' thing, why would you want to log it? :bad:

Edited by briansnat

I've seen it happen, multiple "attended" logs, often each one congratulating a different person for 1000 finds or 2000 finds. I won't do it, I was there, I claim one smiley, thats it. I want the number on my stats page that says, "Event caches" to be accurate, that number is how many events I've been to.