60 Csx Question?

Ok first I have had my 60csx for several months and I'm very familiar with all the functions but I have just found what appears to be a flaw in firmware. I was looking at the functions in the find screen eg. hospitals, food, attractions, ect. and I noticed that if you lets say highlight addresses and then enter and then immediately hit the quit button to go back to the original find screen a new icon the says geographic points appears and if you highlight that icon and hit enter the unit goes dead and you have to turn it on again. It also appears that this only happens if your on battery power and not an external power source. Has anyone noticed this or try to recreate this let me know.

Edited by team fuzzybunny

i encountered a similar problem on the 60CS about a year ago, and discovered that it only happened if "Auto Ordering" was being used; setting to "Use Default Order" got around the problem. I just checked my 60CSx (with 2.60) and don't see the problem, so the bug I saw last year may have crept into the beta software. I haven't tried 2.62.

This may be a redundant question, but perhaps long time users of the GPSMAP 60C/S/x range have an answer.

I've been a GPSV user for many years. I've noticed the following on my GPSMAP 60CSx. When selecting to navigate to a waypoint, if I select "Off Road" the road lock remains on. On my GPSV the road lock would be on when I routed via Faster Time/Shorter Distance, but if I selected Off Road, then the road loack is automatically switched off which makes sense. Why does the 60CSx not do this? Surely if you travel Off Road, by implication you do not wnat the Road Lock to be active. In the interim I switch this off manually, but it is very irritating.

If I select offroad, my 60Cx shows a straight line to the waypoint. I have lock on road selected in the map setup screen.

And if you walk away from the road does your pointer move with you, or does it remain locked on the road. I went hunting for a cache which was about 20m off a road, but my pointer remained locked on the road.

Well, in my mind if you select "Off Road" it should NEVER lock onto a road. Goes against the definition of offroad.

I've done some more testing and the problem only appears when I've been autorouting and request a recaclculate to offroad when I near my destination. It remains locked onto the road and only releases once I have moved a considerable distance off the road +-20m. If I stand in the middle of the road and request to route to a waypoint in Off road as initial then it doesn't lock onto the road at all which is what one would expect. The transition from Navigating on road to offroad when recalculating seems to be a problem.

Most frustrating when that cache is in close proximity to the road.

OK .... I hear you .... but .... autorouting means planning a route revolving around roads. If you want the cursor to lock onto the nearest road and get rid of the GPS accuracy factor it will do that for you. Looks cool having the cursor locked onto the road!

When finding a geocache we are hiking off road .... not autorouting.

Try the Map page menu option Stop Navigation ..... then find Geocache > off road (prompted follow road/off road) > PICK Waypoint > Goto .... and see if it behaves correctly. :lol: ImpalaBob

This may be a redundant question, but perhaps long time users of the GPSMAP 60C/S/x range have an answer.

I've been a GPSV user for many years. I've noticed the following on my GPSMAP 60CSx. When selecting to navigate to a waypoint, if I select "Off Road" the road lock remains on. On my GPSV the road lock would be on when I routed via Faster Time/Shorter Distance, but if I selected Off Road, then the road loack is automatically switched off which makes sense. Why does the 60CSx not do this? Surely if you travel Off Road, by implication you do not wnat the Road Lock to be active. In the interim I switch this off manually, but it is very irritating.

Just another example of a GPS V feature not being utilized in the newer generation units. :lol:

Olar

OK .... I hear you .... but .... autorouting means planning a route revolving around roads. If you want the cursor to lock onto the nearest road and get rid of the GPS accuracy factor it will do that for you. Looks cool having the cursor locked onto the road!

When finding a geocache we are hiking off road .... not autorouting.

Try the Map page menu option Stop Navigation ..... then find Geocache > off road (prompted follow road/off road) > PICK Waypoint > Goto .... and see if it behaves correctly. :lol: ImpalaBob

Well, I first have to drive to the cache, so I ask the unit to autoroute me by road to the cache waypoint. This takes me in close proximity to the cache. I then ask the unit to recalc in off road as I disembark from my cachemobile and start the hike. I don't see that if I request a recalc in off road the unit should remain locked onto a road. Similarly, I'm already routing to the cache, it seems mindless to have to search for a waypoint again instead of requesting the unit to recalc. I never had a problem with this on the GPSV. There was a firmware update a good 5+ years ago (Early days of GPSV) to fix exactly the same problem on the GPSV.

Bottom line is that if you request to be taken to a waypoint Offroad, the unit should never lock onto a road no matter how close one is to it.

OH .... I do agree with you! Recalculate off road should automatically turn lock on roads off!

The simplist thing I can tell you is .... don't use lock on roads. It only looks cool when zoomed really close in ... and since I use autozoom settings and a Gilsson remote antenna when driving ... I've never noticed a difference with it OFF. :ph34r: ImpalaBob

Well after a bit more playing around, discovered the following. If a waypoint is within approximately 20m from a road or trail, the GPS refuses to unlock from the road, even in off road mode. I recently tried to find a cache which was +-15m from the road. As an experiment, I walked about 200m away from the cache into a field, the GPS remained locked on the road and refused to unlock. I even decided to stop navigation and do a new navigation to the waypoint in off road, same thing.

I'm going to play around a bit more with both my GPS's, but I'm afraid this is unacceptable and certainly an error in the unit.

Switching the lock off is fine until you reach an urban area with many roads close to each other.

I've had this issue sporadically. the map screen will lcok up (not turn no matter how I change my orientation), but the distance to target numbers are updated. If I toggle the power (or usually just turn the receiver off/on from the sat page) it will fix itself. I've contacted garmin about it.

I noticed that the GPS remained locked on the road even after setting it for off-road after I was biking and I loaded the track onto my computer. I put the track onto google-map and saw I was riding on the freeway. I went to change the Guidance method from off-road back to on-road and it was set for prompted. Well, if that's not a bug I don't know what is.

I noticed you need to go to "map setup" from the map screen and set the "lock on road" for off. Having 2 different methods of "off-road" is very confusing. However, one is for guidance and the other is for mapping.

I've had this issue sporadically. the map screen will lcok up (not turn no matter how I change my orientation), but the distance to target numbers are updated. If I toggle the power (or usually just turn the receiver off/on from the sat page) it will fix itself. I've contacted garmin about it.

Using Version 2.60 Firmware, I've had this problem occur about 50% of the time lately, when I get near a cache. I have not reported it to Garmin yet.

Another problem that occurs regularly is the inability to zoom in or out. I usually switch the the Sat screen, then back to Maps, and the zooming function returns.