What If A Single Location Fits More Than One Category?

I know of at least one location, the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, that fits more than one Waymark Category. It's listed on the National Historic Registry, so it fits into the Indiana Historical Markers category, but it's also a museum, so it could be listed in the "Museums" category.

How do you recommend this be handled? I'm thinking primarily here of people who would be using these Waymark Category listings as possible "vacation planner" guides - if they're interested in Museums, they won't necessarily be looking in the Historical Marker category for places to go, but if they're interested in Historical Marker sites they won't look in Museums.

I'm not trying to boost my "stats" by attempting to double-list them; in fact, I'd probably at least consider sending a request to another cacher in our area to do the second listing of the site instead of automatically double-listing it myself.

But I did want to know - what do you guys think? How should something like this be handled? How would YOU handle it?

I know of at least one location, the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, that fits more than one Waymark Category. It's listed on the National Historic Registry, so it fits into the Indiana Historical Markers category, but it's also a museum, so it could be listed in the "Museums" category.

How do you recommend this be handled? I'm thinking primarily here of people who would be using these Waymark Category listings as possible "vacation planner" guides - if they're interested in Museums, they won't necessarily be looking in the Historical Marker category for places to go, but if they're interested in Historical Marker sites they won't look in Museums.

I'm not trying to boost my "stats" by attempting to double-list them; in fact, I'd probably at least consider sending a request to another cacher in our area to do the second listing of the site instead of automatically double-listing it myself.

But I did want to know - what do you guys think? How should something like this be handled? How would YOU handle it?

There is no problem cross listing in multiple categories just for the reasons you mention. A person interested in one category might not look in the other. Many sites on the Civil War Discovery Trail will also have the respective state Historical Marker. List them in both places. This game is not about numbers, its about information and locations. I would probably do slightly different write ups for the different categories. In your example for the historical marker I would write more about what historical topic of the marker, for the museum I would write more about what the museum content and story is. These will overlap but emphasis will be different.

I agree with what BruceS said. I personally mark them in the different categories. I don't think anyone will look down on you if you do this. (I hope not!) Though one thing I have been doing, but didn't think about until tonight. Today I entered two penny smashers that are located right next to eachother. Should I have combined them into one waymark. I also did the same thing for some static aircraft display. They weren't right next to eachother, but the public can only see them from one spot. On these I feel they should be seperate because there is a different story to tell for each. But what about my penny smashers?

Edit: Spelling and grammer.

Edited by Dew Crew

I agree with what BruceS said. I personally mark them in the different categories. I don't think anyone will look down on you if you do this. (I hope not!) Though one thing I have been doing, but didn't think about until tonight. Today I entered two penny smashers that are located right next to eachother. Should I have combined them into one waymark?

I think that's something that can be left to the individual. Did the smashers make the same penny? If so, I would have combined them, but others might not.

For reference, for a number of my Massachusetts Historic Markers, I've combined all the markers in an area pertaining to a certain topic into one catchall waymark. For the Bunker Hill Monument, Old State House, and Old North Church, I've done so. In fact, I've purposefully not photographed all the plaques so as to let other visitors contribute their own information. Actually, for the Old North Church, there are some plaques that are not quite relevant to the church itself, but I decided to lump them together anyway just because they were all in the church courtyard, part of the same area of plaques.

I agree with what BruceS said. I personally mark them in the different categories. I don't think anyone will look down on you if you do this. (I hope not!) Though one thing I have been doing, but didn't think about until tonight. Today I entered two penny smashers that are located right next to eachother. Should I have combined them into one waymark?

I think that's something that can be left to the individual. Did the smashers make the same penny? If so, I would have combined them, but others might not.

For reference, for a number of my Massachusetts Historic Markers, I've combined all the markers in an area pertaining to a certain topic into one catchall waymark. For the Bunker Hill Monument, Old State House, and Old North Church, I've done so. In fact, I've purposefully not photographed all the plaques so as to let other visitors contribute their own information. Actually, for the Old North Church, there are some plaques that are not quite relevant to the church itself, but I decided to lump them together anyway just because they were all in the church courtyard, part of the same area of plaques.

Or it could be up to the category manager. They haven't been approved yet, so we'll see. Each machine did 4 different designs. The Old North Church! I was in Boston several years ago, and visited all of the 'famous' historic sites.

Edited by Dew Crew

l love Waymarking different categories for one location. My personal best is 5 waymarks for one location. THe page descriptions however are completely different. I find this a creative way to play this game and make it very challenging for me. to see if the location fits another category. I also am aware that there are others who enjoying playing this way.

Edited by chstress53

l love Waymarking different categories for one location. My personal best is 5 waymarks for one location. THe page descriptions however are completely different. I find this a creative way to play this game and make it very challenging for me. to see if the location fits another category. I also am aware that there are others who enjoying playing this way.

I enjoy it too. My record is 4 that can be viewed from one spot.(the only place they can be viewed) I still have one to add for that spot and someone else has added one. That makes the total 6.

But what about my penny smashers?

You did the right thing by keeping them separate. It allows people to find one or the other based on search criteria and attributes. Eventually we may have 1cm accuracy in GPS receivers and the coordinates will be unique. Who knows?

My penny smashers did get approved.

You did the right thing by keeping them separate. It allows people to find one or the other based on search criteria and attributes. Eventually we may have 1cm accuracy in GPS receivers and the coordinates will be unique. Who knows?

True, thanks Jeremy!

Edited by Dew Crew

Hey there just to let you know, professional surveyors currently use GPSR w/ that kind of accuracy. Unfortunately, they run for about 50 grand. It'll be interesting to see how long before that kind of accuracy becomes affordable to those of us who can't write it off on their taxes.

Edited by Team Farkle 7

Multile listings for the same site should be encouraged as long as one meets the requirements for their respective categories. It will increase the overall chances for bringing someone into an area that the WM creator thinks is important, or they wouldnt invest the time to develop the WM in the 1st place. I always recommend that the WM's be cross-referenced with a hot link, that way the visitor knows that there is another WM nearby.

Would be neat to see how high the count goes for one location in say a 10' radius or some other measurement. I have seen a site that had 4 different historical markers next to an unusual building, that is on the historic lists, former battlefield, cemetary, etc...

Now if we could get PQ's on the WM site...life would be great!