Cold Mountain Bm

lj1983

we were down in North Carolina a while back and found a benchmark at the summit of Cold Mountain...unfortunately i can't find it in the geocaching listing, any thoughts?

coldmoutnain.jpg

35.40995N

82.85932W

the nearest BM i found is down at the Trailhead, at Camp Daniel Boone.

we were down in North Carolina a while back and found a benchmark at the summit of Cold Mountain...unfortunately i can't find it in the geocaching listing, any thoughts?

Probably it's not in the Geocaching database. Most marks aren't. See the FAQ, especially the section near the bottom of the page, "I found a benchmark, but it isn't in your database. Why?." Hope you had a nice hike!

-ArtMan-

This is not FB3123 which is a much older mark set by the Coast and Geodetic Survey. As can be noted from the image this is a mark of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and unfortunately, the data for most of the marks set by USGS has never been automated and sent to NGS for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference System. I have access to a complete listing of the USGS data in the NGS archives and will check on this station when I'm in the office tomorrow.

We have virtually all of the USGS horizontal and vertical control data in the same paper format that they provide. It has been the responsibility of USGS to automate their data, which unfortunately I can guarantee will never happen. We are currently negotiating with USGS to take over the responses to the public about their data as part of an organizational down-sizing they are going through. But that will be some time away at this point.

Dave,

Am I reading the datasheet for FB3123 correctly? Is that mark actually the MOUNTAIN itself?

I'm not Dave, but - there are many such 'Marker Types=3' that are Mountain peaks. Some have a another benchmark at the top also, some not.

Another one that we are fortunate enough to live close to is Mollies Nipple PID #HO0540. We have heard that people can see this up at Bryce Canyon National Park and several other spots miles away. We can see it coming down from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon as well as from our one cache 'Mollies Nipple' that is along HWY 89 in Utah Check out the gallery on that cache.

If you ever go on vacation out west...there are quite a few 'Mountain Peak' PID's.

Shirley~

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Shirley, are you sure you aren't Dave? Who would be most glad to hear that? John or Dave??? <_<

I have seen that type of monument listing before, although I have never SEEN that type of monument, if you know what I mean--I haven't run across any of them in my area, which is more like rolling hills than mountains (I wouldn't say there are none though, just none so far in my travels).

My concern is that we are talking about different things in this thread--Dave said that FB3123 is an older mark "set" by the CGS, which to me meant SET, but to Dave it might not have. The monuent type is Mountain Peak, and the first report says OBSERVED as opposed to MONUMENTED. The 2001 and 2004 reports are obviously incorrect because they reference the disk we have pictured at the top of this thread, but I believe we are thinking "disk" and we need to think "peak" (I assume it is somewhat pointy) is the station, a third order one. There IS no disk for this PID.

Dave (who isn't Shirley), am I reading and thinking right?

And what a great name for a mountain--Mollies Nipple. It makes the 8 year old in me giggle. I am not sure I could say it out loud. I looked at the gallery on your cache page and can see how the name came about though, in a less politically correct age.

Am I reading the datasheet for FB3123 correctly? Is that mark actually the MOUNTAIN itself?

Yes, and note in the NGS data sheet that someone keeps sending in recovery reports on the 1934 benchmark, even though it's clear from the logs that (1) FB3123 is the mountain itself, not a metal disk; and (2) it was originally designated as a survey station in 1875, decades before the 1934 mark was installed.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

I have reviewed the project reports from the 1875 survey and they indicate that "signals" were constructed on several monuntain peaks in this region that were observed as part of the regional triangulation. These signals were built on the highest point of the hills and the points at their base where never marked. As the picture shows, in 1934 USGS set a mark close to where the old observations were taken to however after a careful search of their published data I have been unable to find where they ever completed the survey. It did sometimes occur that marks would be set by USGS, C&GS or NGS and never observed for various reason.