Full Log

ozymandiasism

If I visit a cache and the log sheet is full. Can I replace the logsheet myself? What should i do with the old one if it won't fit in the cache?

You can always add a new log sheet so that others can continue to log, but if the old one won't fit, your only options are either to not replace it -or- to take it with you and return it to the owner (you should only do this if you're local to the cache and know the owner or have some way for certain of getting it to them). In the former case, you should likely trip the "needs maintenance" flag when making your log on GC so the owner knows to go fix the cache.

Some owners want the old log sheet, while others don't much care.

If you take the log, you can always e-mail the owner for a mailing address.

Don't take the log sheet. It doesn't belong to you.

El Diablo

The best thing to do is hit the needs maint. if the owner cares about his cache he will fix the problem but taking anything but swag should always be a last resort.

Speaking of logs, as a newbie, before I place my first cache, what is the logbook supposed to look like? Just a notepad, or one of the fancy Groundspeak ones. (I ordered a couple and would like to know)

Either is fine, I cut a regular sheet of copy paper in strips and staple them for micros, and dollar store mini note pads for larger caches. The Groundspeak ones are nice though.

Speaking of logs, as a newbie, before I place my first cache, what is the logbook supposed to look like? Just a notepad, or one of the fancy Groundspeak ones. (I ordered a couple and would like to know)

No need to shell out all that money for a fancy Groundspeak logbook. Staples sells a pack of 5 spiral bound pads for $4. That's all you need. They can even be cut down to size for smaller caches, or used full size in larger caches (see photo):

5f1c17ef-1b1f-4270-8bbd-9910f353ecf3.jpg

Common sense should prevail. If the logsheet / book is wet and ruined ..... add a new logsheet and post that it needs maintenance, and send an E-mail to the cache owner. I've completely replaced ruined logs that were absolutely beyond repair. Owners thanked me! I've replaced / added to some nano logs that were full .... especially because cachemate logs indicated that everyone of the past 5 logs told the owner that it was full and the owner did nothing about it. This is a game .... I'm not hijacking your cache .... just taking care of it so the next cacher has a pleasant experience. I wouldn't remove a log book .... but I would remove a log sheet; scan it and send the .jpg to the cache owner out of respect.

I've checked a few caches for owners who were out of the area and knew I lived/worked close by.

:blink: ImpalaBob

I agree with all the posts about adding logsheet + not removing log + using common sense, etc.

My question was geared more towards microcaches, where you can fit one small logsheet and that's about it. I checked out the owner's profile and it seems that he hasn't gone geocaching for over a year. It's safe to say that the cache(s) is/are no longer under the owner's care. Many geocachers have also requested logsheets to be replaced on multiple occasi ons.

At what point do we say.... change logsheet?

I'd try contacting the owners first and seeing if you can adopt it. If you do not get a reply .... request that the cache be archived and then put out a new one under your control.

It's OUR responsibility to not let abandoned geocaches litter the neighborhood. The process of archiving an abandoned cache is quite easy. ;) ImpalaBob

Don't take the log sheet. It doesn't belong to you.

El Diablo

Agreed, however in some cases there are multiple logs over a long period of time stating that the log book is full. Just adding a new one may not be an option. Many micro's don't have the room.

Well, that might work on some people, but I personally don't like giving my address to strangers. I'd rather someone post the log is full so I can go pick it up.

Me either, that's why I have a box at the post office.