When Is It Ok To Take A Cache?

scavok

I recently found a cache that had been muggled really badly. The smashed container had no lid to be seen and I managed to find the log book in the wind. I gathered what I could, including the log and container and knew that a rainstorm was on its way so I took everything with me, logged the find telling exactly what I did and emailed the cache owner. I figured he would rather have the log book and swag and the TB owners not have them lost than just leaving them all where they were.

I was also concerned that if I didn't do anything that the next finder would blame me for it getting muggled.

Did I do the right thing? This is the first time I've come across this.

BTW, mods feel free to move this to the 'getting started' section if that's where it belongs...

You did the right thing, or at least what I would have done! :(

:D

I keep a variety of "cache repair" items in my 4x4, so for minor issues where I have a suitable replacement container handy, I'll often make the repair for the owner (even if it's not an identical container -- the only time this doesn't work is when the container itself is part of the camo). I'll also replace internal cache items like plastic bags keeping log books dry, etc. when it seems the current one has seen better days.

In the end however, if the cache is trashed and not replaceable (or securely re-hidable albeit maybe now inside a plastic bag, etc.), I'll pick it up and immediately notify the owner (and set the "needs maintenance" flag) so that the issue can be addressed.

Most owners would rather have the pieces of their muggled cache (and most importantly the log book) back than to have it blowing around the woods or getting wet in the rain. At least, I know I would.

I keep a variety of "cache repair" items in my 4x4, so for minor issues where I have a suitable replacement container handy, I'll often make the repair for the owner (even if it's not an identical container -- the only time this doesn't work is when the container itself is part of the camo). I'll also replace internal cache items like plastic bags keeping log books dry, etc. when it seems the current one has seen better days.

Thanks for the response. The reason I woudn't reset a muggled cache is just that--the muggles will know where it is and likely check it again later. The cache should be archived and rehidden somewhere else, or just moved to a new spot somewhere close.

:D

Something similar happened to me - the cache was floating in a nearby pond.

However, I was some way from home and unlikely to revisit the spot, so taking the cache wan't an option.

I thought I knew where it had come from, and I could see a place where I knew it certainly hadn't come from (too far for the coords), but which made a good hide. So I hid it there, noted the WP, took a spoiler photo, and logged "Needs Maintenance". Cache was back up in 48 hours. :D

You did the right thing, or at least what I would have done! :anibad:

<_<

In the end however, if the cache is trashed and not replaceable (or securely re-hidable albeit maybe now inside a plastic bag, etc.), I'll pick it up and immediately notify the owner (and set the "needs maintenance" flag) so that the issue can be addressed.

Most owners would rather have the pieces of their muggled cache (and most importantly the log book) back than to have it blowing around the woods or getting wet in the rain. At least, I know I would.

Ditto. All cachers ought to try to carry a few ziplocs, etc with them to do just this sort of thing. The kids and I found one that need help just yesterday.

Yep scavok, you done good. Your description in the log is a good idea too.

I'm kinda glad you did that as I'll be searching out the rest of those caches in the area soon. If it wasn't for the insta-notify I received from the owner 'Disabling' the listing, I could have come across the same mess.

As with others, we usually keep a good stock of cachin' supplies with - just in case.

Ziplock bags, Micro-logbooks, small log books (holds 18-20 logs with T: / L: descriptions, a temp thing only), and a permanent marker, to 'touch up' any writing that may have faded over time.

Careful of Tahosa though, he'll wear you out in the mountains. :anibad:

Edited by Team Laxson