"theft" Of Images

Since when is it appropriate for a geocacher to copy picture(s) from one person's cache page to their own and for their own purposes?

I created a cache in my home area and have now discovered that one of the several pictures within my cache page has been copied(without permission) and used in another person's cache page.

I do not have ownership of the picture, but my friend does and he took the picture on my behalf. Should I or my friend request that the picture be removed from the other cache page?

The picture was not stored on GC, but on an offsite photo storage website under a username & password to which I have access. Where do you draw the line regarding outright theft?

Just for the record, a unique photo can legally be considered as personal property.

Edited by Fledermaus

Is it a photo you took? If not then why worry about it.

Greetings, fellow forum superhero named "Captain." Have you seen a navy blue dress sock, Men's Size 12? I seem to have misplaced one. By the way, you are looking very buff.

Amazing how a Google image search can turn up just about anything, eh? Courtesy of some domain called brillig.com. Very interesting.

Renegade Knight,

Please look up copyright prior to posting something like that. I think you'll find that you're mistaken, and that the act of publication secures copyright itself at the date that it is first rendered in its form. Seeking damages, however, will go a lot better if you register your mark.

Nothing, but nothing, is public domain unless it is placed in the public domain by its owner. Nearly anything created after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted.

'course, I'm not an attorney, and this isn't legal advice. Just practical experience from someone that does the intellectual property thing for a living. . .

The USPTO would be a good starting point for learning about copyright. uspto.gov

Holy Crap Batman! This is some heavy stuff for geocaching! Are you kidding me? Can we get a "This is a Whine Free Zone" posted somewhere? I wonder if Vlad got permission to use that pic for his Av? And I doubt, Adrenalynn, that Transylvanian copy laws are the same here as in Transylvania since that is the origin <_< of the aforementioned whiner. Seems to me that the perp of this heinous act is just trying to make a cool cache and liked Vlad's stuff, and borrowed.....as another post mentions....what a compliment in its sincerest form!

Just my .02

T-Bone

Holy Crap Batman! This is some heavy stuff for geocaching! Are you kidding me? Can we get a "This is a Whine Free Zone" posted somewhere? I wonder if Vlad got permission to use that pic for his Av? And I doubt, Adrenalynn, that Transylvanian copy laws are the same here as in Transylvania since that is the origin <_< of the aforementioned whiner. Seems to me that the perp of this heinous act is just trying to make a cool cache and liked Vlad's stuff, and borrowed.....as another post mentions....what a compliment in its sincerest form!

Just my .02

T-Bone

Whine free zone? Holy crap Batman yourself. Taking someone's picture from their site and posting it on their own IS stealing. And Adrenalynn is correct. Just because something is on the internet does not make it public domain. You don't even have to put the copyright symbol on it. If someone took a picture of mine and put it on their site, I would be steaming mad. Email the person and tell them (or ask them if you are too nice) to remove your picture.

Hello everyone from your usually friendly forum moderator.

There's a lot flying around in this thread. It began with an accusation of "theft." That is a strong word.

Groundspeak has an established procedure for claims of intellectual property rights. The OP's friend needs to follow that procedure, found in paragraph 7 of the Website Terms of Use. The procedure does NOT involve coming into the forums. Until we've established that there is an infringement, let's refrain from characterizing it as such. Accordingly I am closing this thread.

Edited by Keystone