Broke Gps Garmin

I got 2 broke Garmins GPS III+. both have screen problems. It looks like the ribbon cable if it has one does not connect the display and the main board. I get lines in the display on both. I don't know if they have been dropped or not.

I agree, it sounds like the ribbon cable is at fault; lines on the screen is a classic symptom. Since the units don't seem to be usable as they are now, you might try cleaning and reseating the ribbon cables. I generally use a dollar bill to buff the contacts on the cable. It's abrasive enough to clean the contacts and wicks off any skin oil that might be on them. It goes without saying that you need to be ginger when handling the cable.

my unit is not the same as this photo you had. i have removed the back but the circuit board is mated to the display and i can not see any means to remove the circuit board from the display. if there is are screws holding it to the display i can not find these and i see no way to remove it. it might not be a ribbon cable it might be contacts. that would be one reason for the contact problems. both units are doing the same. i kept the units on the dash board of the truck for several years and i suspect that the sun has warped the case. and with the case flexed from warp-age then the contacts and or ribbon cable is not making the correct connection.

i feel this is the only problem with the units. aside from short battery life.