Csx Map Software Required

I'm brand new to GPS units and geocaching. How new? So new I've never even SEEN a GPS unit before, much less used one.

With apologies for my vast lack of knowledge, I have a question. Based on what I've read here on the forums and looking through what seemed like a thousand other sites, I've decided to purchase the 60CSX model. My wife and I plan to use it both in the car AND to geocache. From all I've read, this is the unit that can do both and do both well.

My question concerns the mapping software. Since I plan to use the unit for both functions, do I need to get both the North America street map detail AND the topographical software? Will either of those map softwares do what I need it to do without having to buy the other?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I agree with Allory to start with the CitySelect-NA (or CityNavigator-NA if that's easier to get - both will work about equally well but the Navigator version may force you to buy a bigger microSD card a bit sooner). That'll give you the detailed street maps and auto-routing you need for car use and may turn out to be sufficient for geocaching as well.

People, i'm interested in a relatively new gps navigation software called nav4all. Has anyone of you tried it or currently using it? I'm a bit sceptical about installing just random programms on my phone so i just want to make sure first that it's reliable... i don't want to f*ck up my mobile for nothing, u know what i mean... :anitongue: so any comments about the programme?

If you plan on doing any road trips of any distance then you will want to get an external power cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket to save on batteries. Also a mounting device of some sort so that you can have it on the dashboard or somewhere else close so you can see it easily while driving. This is very important because without a mount then your wife will get to hold it and do all the fun stuff while you are driving and you'll never get to use it. :anitongue: You will also read in the forums here about using an external antenna in your vehicle. I always used one until I got a 60cx and discovered that it is not necessary any longer. In fact the 60cx gets a better satellite lock while lying on the front seat then my 76C does with the external antenna up on the dash under the front window.

Have fun with your new hobby of geocaching.

Cheers, Olar

My question concerns the mapping software. Since I plan to use the unit for both functions, do I need to get both the North America street map detail AND the topographical software? Will either of those map softwares do what I need it to do without having to buy the other?

You won't need topo maps in the Columbus area, but if you're going to do any hiking/caching in the hills in southern Ohio you probably will want them. Keep in mind that the topo mapping software will add detail to the city maps as well, but it contains different POI's and won't autoroute.

I just purchased City Navigator for my 60C. The map segments are a bit large but since you have expandable memory that shouldn't be a problem. I used it quite a bit this weekend and it is definately a handy mapping program to have. I moved to an area that I'm still not all that familiar with and I was using the auto-routing feature to get me around this weekend and let me tell you, it worked excellent. I took new routes that I never knew existed before and the POI database is very good. I hesitate to call it excellent because its missing a few things that I feel definately should be in the database. Along with a couple roads in my neighborhood that don't exist anymore and haven't for quite some time. You definately can't go wrong making this purchase. As for caching, I don't normally use the map page, I just use the compass page for finding caches so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps,

Brad

I just purchased City Navigator for my 60C. The map segments are a bit large but since you have expandable memory that shouldn't be a problem. I used it quite a bit this weekend and it is definately a handy mapping program to have. I moved to an area that I'm still not all that familiar with and I was using the auto-routing feature to get me around this weekend and let me tell you, it worked excellent. I took new routes that I never knew existed before and the POI database is very good. I hesitate to call it excellent because its missing a few things that I feel definately should be in the database. Along with a couple roads in my neighborhood that don't exist anymore and haven't for quite some time. You definately can't go wrong making this purchase. As for caching, I don't normally use the map page, I just use the compass page for finding caches so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps,

Brad

City Nav is not appropriate for the non X 60's, but its fine for the X units.

I think the best setup in your 60CSX would be to have both City Navigator (or City Select) and Mapsource Topo, I run CS and Topo on my 60CS and its great having topo info when I'm hiking to a cache and the CN and CS software are great for finding your way around.

City Nav works fine for me. I guess it all depends on how you use your GPS. At this point I have no reason to load anything other than two segments of Michigan which fits on the 60C just fine. I'm taking a trip to Tennessee and I can't fit all the segments on the GPS that I need but I fit 2 segments of TN and 1 segment of KY so it'll be fine. Otherwise I just take the laptop and re-load segments as needed...not a huge hassle but definately not convenient. As I acquire new maps such as the new Inland Lakes maps that are out I will definately need to upgrade the 60C to a 60CX or 76CX because I'm sure I'll get sick of constantly changing the maps when going from my boat to my car.

Does anyone have any issues with the find/address functions not working correctly on city select or city navigator V7. I have tried metroguide V4, and the find/address function will not find addresses most of the time.

Do you think it is worth waiting for city navigator V8, if you have a 60CSX? or is it a detriment due to the smaller map segments and x versions 2025 map limit!

Does anyone have any issues with the find/address functions not working correctly on city select or city navigator V7. I have tried metroguide V4, and the find/address function will not find addresses most of the time.

Do you think it is worth waiting for city navigator V8, if you have a 60CSX? or is it a detriment due to the smaller map segments and x versions 2025 map limit!

I use a GPSMAP 76CS with City Select v7 and the "find address" function is great. I've used it a number of times and it has functioned flawlessly for me.

NOTE: The maps aren't 100% accurate. They are really great "almost" all of the time but sometimes they tell you to use a road that doesn't exist or an onramp that doesn't exist. Even with these occasional flaws I'm REALLY glad I got the maps. <_<

the only issue Ihave ever had with City Select and the find address function is knowing what city to enter. When you are trying to find an address in a large metropolitan area such as Los Angeles it seems that city names change every 3 or 4 blocks (I know its and exageration). If you don't put in the correct city name you don't get good directions. In computer terms thats GIGO. Garbage in Gabage Out. When I give it good informaiton it always gets me where I want to go. That's really important because now I use mine to get me to whatever motel I will be staying and and to get me to work wherever I am.

I'm brand new to GPS units and geocaching. How new? So new I've never even SEEN a GPS unit before, much less used one.

With apologies for my vast lack of knowledge, I have a question. Based on what I've read here on the forums and looking through what seemed like a thousand other sites, I've decided to purchase the 60CSX model. My wife and I plan to use it both in the car AND to geocache. From all I've read, this is the unit that can do both and do both well.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I live in the Gahanna area and bought a 60CSx a couple of months ago to use for geocaching and just finding my way around new areas. I bought the Topo software about the same time I got the 60CSx, and bought City Navigator NA v8 as soon as it came out. I also bought a 1GB microSD card from Amazon.com, which allowed me to load the entire northeast quarter of the United States, Topo and City Navigator, into the GPSr at the same time. I use City Navigator most of the time, since it gives me street-level auto-routing, but the Topo maps do come in handy when I'm roaming in the Hocking Hills area. Bottom line, I'd recommend City Navigator first and then Topo if you can swing it (and I definitely suggest you buy a decent-capacity data card to hold everything).

--Larry