Canadian Geocoins

AV Dezign

Did you all see that geocoins Canada has had a face lift:

http://www.geocoins.ca/

The coins a way more expensive now, and... all prices are in US dollars???? Why??? In any case, go have a look. The old version are still available.

That's a nice-looking coin though. I don't know if I'd want to leave one out in a cache for fear of it disappearing into someone's collection.

Scott

Is there a limited mint? Where is the money going? The US price is steep is there a Canadian deal somewhere? The US geocoin 4.99US canadian coin 9.50US (but ours does look better!) even with the exchange rate (which there is not) that is a lot!

Is there a limited mint? Where is the money going? The US price is steep is there a Canadian deal somewhere? The US geocoin 4.99US canadian coin 9.50US (but ours does look better!) even with the exchange rate (which there is not) that is a lot!

Not a limited mint. And the money goes into Mr. Gigabyte's pocket.

The price is outrageous. And he's even making Canadians pay in US dollars. Madness. <_<

And the shipping rate is ridiculous. I sell via eBay regularly, and sending 1 to 3 coins does not cost $3.95 shipping (even including the materials).

Edited by dogbreathcanada

It is no different than any other geocoin being sold for US $9.50. There's no reason to say money is going into someone's pocket like there is something special about this coin. So please play nice, thanks.

I didn't make a judgement on where the money was going. I just answered the question asked. You're seeing a "crime" where there isn't one.

And the US$9.50 price is a little different, I think. Usually, from what I've seen, that price mark represents a very limited edition coin (usually 200 or less minted). In this case, the coin is an unlimited run.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

My complaint was the need to pay in US funds. The credit card companies add an extra 2 to 3% on the exchange rate. It does not make sense for a coin that should be sold to Canadians.

On the where the money goes, there is nothing on the website that indicates who is getting the money or for what purpose. On the face of it it just looks like a commerical venture.

On the where the money goes, there is nothing on the website that indicates who is getting the money or for what purpose. On the face of it it just looks like a commerical venture.

It is a commercial venture (not that there's anything wrong with that per se). The question of the day is: Why are the unlimited editions of the Quebec geocoin and the limited edition of the BC Geocoin priced CA$2-3 dollars less than this coin?

Your credit card would be charged to Imaginet (the geocoin creator's web company). (That info is mentioned on the geocoins.ca website itself, so mentioning it here isn't any sort of secret, in the event a moderator thinks I'm divulging private info.)

I could be some issues with production. I have two personal geocoins. One costs over $11.00 US. The other is on sale now for only $6.50 US. If I were to sell the one that costs me $11.00, I would sell it for more probably.

My more expensive coin is die struck and is 24 k gold plated. It has three colors in hard enamel. I would expect it to cost more. But my other coin is custom cut with holes in the shape of a brick and has six colors. My gold coin is not trackable, but my second brick coin is. Yet still, it was only half the cost.

Geocoins are a funny thing. Much of the price depends on the manufacturing methods and additional things you add to them, such as solid brass cores and clear enamel finishes and the type of die strike or casting method employed. If you don't like it, for whatever reason, then don't buy it.

Did not mean to open a can of worms (no pics needed) was just curious about things. I know some geocoins are sold at various places and wondered if there was a US and Canadian site for this one. Like I said it is a good looking coin. If it is not a limit edition at this time I am not gonna rush to buy it. (no money)

Did not mean to open a can of worms ...

You didn't open a can of anything. So no worries. It's a totally legitimate concern to question the price of a Canadian geocoin, especially when similar Canadian geocoins are sold for much less (Quebec - CA$8.00, BC - CA$9.00, the new Ontario coin - CA$7.50). It's also a legitimate concern to wonder why a Canadian geocoin is being sold in US funds to Canadians.

Maybe the geocoin producer will pop into the thread to answer the concerns of, apparently, quite a few people.

DBC, I did not say you have commit any crime, I asked you to play nice as you are being a little rude and given you history with the coin producer, making this personal. If you have a question for the coin producer, contact them directly on their site as this is not a Groundspeak issue. Thank you.

Neat. Actually I like the old version better. Don't really go in for all this colour and cut outs and what not.

Anyone know who the minter was on these? Suppose I could ask them instead, but well...don't really care that much. Just curious if they are being made in Canada or not. That would explain the US pricing (if that was what he was being charged in). Doesn't want to get screwed on the exchange rate. You never can tell what you'll end up paying.

The old ones were made by Pressed Metals weren't they? (just a guess, based on location of the seller and location of Pressed Metals...)