Pdas, Which One To Buy?

Since I have little to no knowledge of PDAs, I would like to know what the "average" geocacher is using, while on the hunt. In order to clarify my needs, I will explain that I do not have lots of "money to burn".

Therefore, I am looking for a reasonably priced unit that doesn't necessarily have all the "bells and whistles" in it. All it has to do is download cache data and display it as if I were reading a cache page, and whatever else it should do for a simplistic unit. A Color unit would be considered, if good reason can be given for it. Otherwise, I would be happy with just a B&W unit.

There seems to be so many suppliers out there on the internet and such a variation of prices. Also, who fixes it when it goes "TU"? Any and all clues as to what, where, who, why and how much would be greatfully appreciated.

/\/oo\/\

I use a TE, but I completely agree with Brian. If you are just using it for caching, buy the cheapest Palm you can find.

A few years ago, I set my dad up with a used V. It only has 2mb, but it easily held 500 caches in Plucker and ran Cache Log Book. It was all he needed.

Edited by sbell111

I bought a Palm IIIxe with 8 megs off ebay for $29 with shipping. This unit works good, I followed the instructions on www.Geocacher-u.com and am going paperless now. Paperless is so much better. No more printing, or transferring notes to little pads to remember. The only problem I have had is loosing my PDA Stylus in the weeds, in which I spent 20 minutes trying to get it back. Otherwise, any small PDA will work. Get one that isnt color, so that your batteries last longer, and make sure it is inexpensive so that you wont get upset when you loose it, break it. ect... I have over 1000 cache pages sorted on the unit, and have only used 25% of the storage.

The Dellars

I bought a Palm IIIxe with 8 megs off ebay for $29 with shipping. This unit works good, I followed the instructions on www.Geocacher-u.com and am going paperless now. Paperless is so much better. No more printing, or transferring notes to little pads to remember. The only problem I have had is loosing my PDA Stylus in the weeds, in which I spent 20 minutes trying to get it back. Otherwise, any small PDA will work. Get one that isnt color, so that your batteries last longer, and make sure it is inexpensive so that you wont get upset when you loose it, break it. ect... I have over 1000 cache pages sorted on the unit, and have only used 25% of the storage.

The Dellars

When you're trolling ebay for Palm devices, don't forget to search for Handspring Visors. The deluxe has 8MB as well, and the Prism is color, and both go dirt cheap. I got two delivered for $12 plus shipping.

I have an E2 with a cheapy metal case to protect it and a ziploc for wet times. It's too much if you're just using it for caching, though. I also use it as a PDA (imagine that...) at work, and that justifies the added expense. I have pictures, MP3s, games and books, the Bible, plus all the regular stuff on it. The color screen is hard to read in direct sunlight, though. I understand the cheapy ones don't have that problem.

For software I use cachemate and GSAK-worth the expense.

If you are choosing between the Tungsten E and E2, there is one important feature you should consider. The T|E has volitile memory; that means if you let your battery do dead, you loose everything on the unit. The T|E2 does not have volitile memory.

Are you sure? I've killed my battery twice and haven't lost any data.

I carry two. I have a palm Zire 71 with cachemate and my phone is a smartphone Samsung I500 with palm 3.0 also with cachemate. I have killed the battteries in both and have not lost any data. You won't find either of these two anymore except on ebay. You can buy a Zire 72 new though.

<_<

I have owned the following PDA's in the last few years:

Visor Edge

Visor Deluxe

Visor Neo

Zire 21

Zire 31

Zire 72

Tungsten T

Tungsten T3

Tungsten E2

4 of these you can find on ebay for less than 20 bucks. I have seen all of the above for less than 100 bucks at times. At first I looked at the thinnest models (E2, Edge) because I liked carrying it in a shirt pocket. However, I've come to appreciate the "bulkier" ones for their more ergonomic feel in your hand. The smaller ones also have a propensity to break screens on small drops. The Zire 21 is a great unit for battery life (internal li-ion) and feel. My personal favorite would have to be the Zire 72 because it appears to have it all: voice recorder, mp3, digital camera, bluetooth. Just make sure the unit you receive comes with a usb cable.

You can also try the Garmin Ique 3600 if you want to get a little more fancy. I am using it now (about $250 on ebay with all the pieces and maps you need).

I have AUTOROUTING and PROXIMITY ALERTS set up. Effectively while driving I have a machine telling me when I am near a cache, then showing me on a map where that cache is. Then I read the file with details. I was driving home from work and picked up six CACHE & DASH finds in less than two hours.

I am using an M515 with Cachemate. Invested another $8 in an aluminum hard shell case (ebay). It's my trusting caching buddy (completely paperless) and should I ever break it ebay has more... I even replaced the battery recently (I think i twas around $14) and it's working like new again....

I would not buy a spiffy model for caching - only to loose it in the field, drop it, sit on it etc..... It's kind of tempting Murphy's law....

Since I have little to no knowledge of PDAs, I would like to know what the "average" geocacher is using, while on the hunt. In order to clarify my needs, I will explain that I do not have lots of "money to burn".

Therefore, I am looking for a reasonably priced unit that doesn't necessarily have all the "bells and whistles" in it. All it has to do is download cache data and display it as if I were reading a cache page, and whatever else it should do for a simplistic unit. A Color unit would be considered, if good reason can be given for it. Otherwise, I would be happy with just a B&W unit.

There seems to be so many suppliers out there on the internet and such a variation of prices. Also, who fixes it when it goes "TU"? Any and all clues as to what, where, who, why and how much would be greatfully appreciated.

/\/oo\/\

What is a PDA? :) What do the initials P-D-A mean?...

Edited by Wild Thing 73

I have an m500 bought from ebay new for I think $35. I also got an aluminum rhino case. The palm is cheap enough than it could be consider disposable. It has 8 mgs of memory and sd capability so I don't think I would need more. I've even started to use it as a PDA (imagine that!) I use gsak and cachemate and wish I had gone paperless a while ago

P.D.A.

Personal

Digital

Assistant

Ive got a much older Pilot 5000 (befor it was Palm Pilot)

Dont know if i can use that to geocach or not? I installed a two meg upgrade to it about a year ago.

My new one is a Palm Pilot T5, Ive got Cachemate loaded on it now but have not used it because i do not have a GPSr yet. Income tax check should be here this friday. looking to got a Garmin Legend CX :huh::P