Will Garmin 60csx V2.62 Firmware Ever Happen?

How long does it usually take Garmin to finalize their beta firmware versions. This current v2.62 beta for the 60CSx has been out there as a beta version now for almost a month now!

Looks like they would be more prompt about getting the finished version available. Does this say they're really having some unforseen dificulties that they had not expected. I hear that many times there's many "little fixes" included within an update that Garmin doesn't even mention in the list of things that an update supposedly fix or correct. Does anyone have an inside track on this issue?

Edited by Didjerrydo

How long does it usually take Garmin to finalize their beta firmware versions. This current v2.62 beta for the 60CSx has been out there as a beta version now for almost a month now!

Looks like they would be more prompt about getting the finished version available. Does this say they're really having some unforseen dificulties that they had not expected. I hear that many times there's many "little fixes" included within an update that Garmin doesn't even mention in the list of things that an update supposedly fix or correct. Does anyone have an inside track on this issue?

Nope...Not too long at all. Remember, this is just one of many, many, many firmaware upgrades they are working on. For one thing, a month of beta use by customers doesn't even start to get the responses back they need to find small glitches. Now if it's a major problem, they will find out fast and fix it fast. But. if it is a problem that only surfaces on a few receivers being used in a very specififc set of circumstances, then they might not hear about it for a while. Be patient. Especially if your beta version is working correctly!

Geez Didjerrydo, try the Decafe. Garmin can't win with some people. If they release an update, even a Beta, people complain that it is Beta. If they wait to include additional fixes within the update people complain that it is taking too long. I am happy to get the fixes as they resolve them. If I can’t get the whole loaf, I will certainly take a couple of slices.

I completely agree with SandyGarrity. In the IT world 1 month is certainly not a long time… how long do we have to wait for Microsoft to come out with some their “fixes”?

I would like to see them release another beta with more features....heck, 2.62 works fine for me so far...not issues that I have seen.

I want them to add back some of my old gpsV features though (add via to route, hotkey for navigation to "HOME", I also would like more realestate on the map screen...maybe they could add another map screen that saves different display options than the first that would be easy to flip back and fourth to.

Geez Didjerrydo, try the Decafe. Garmin can't win with some people. If they release an update, even a Beta, people complain that it is Beta. If they wait to include additional fixes within the update people complain that it is taking too long. I am happy to get the fixes as they resolve them. If I can’t get the whole loaf, I will certainly take a couple of slices.

I completely agree with SandyGarrity. In the IT world 1 month is certainly not a long time… how long do we have to wait for Microsoft to come out with some their “fixes”?

I'm fairly new to Garmin's beta firmware process... Do they generally do a "true" beta where they release the beta firmware unchanged after a trial period, or do they include bug fixes for issues found during the beta? I'm hoping the latter (along with everyone else, no doubt) since 2.62 beta has a fair number of minor quirks especially related to the SiRF chip. But the most important thing is that changes be made in a deliberate, careful manner and not necessarily on any fixed schedule.

I'm quite happy they are including customer feedback in the development cycle. Definitely beneficial for everyone involved.

I want them to add back some of my old gpsV features though ..........

My guess is that you will never see that day. I'm willing to bet that Garmin is saving those features that are exclusive to the V for the possible release of a Vcx model. That way they can justify the price.

On the other hand if the whole V concept is dead then yes, please consider incorporating at least some of the features in the current popular units.

Cheers, Olar

I was looking at one of the other units and they've had a beta out since January! So we can never be sure when they'll finalize it.

I want them to add back some of my old gpsV features though (add via to route, hotkey for navigation to "HOME", I also would like more realestate on the map screen...maybe they could add another map screen that saves different display options than the first that would be easy to flip back and fourth to.

Not to mention the detour option!