Hunting Icon For Webpage.

SwampYankee

I see a lot of caches being on public land are also lands used for hunting. Is there by chance and Icon available to put on your cache page that would stand out to bring hunting concerns to peoples attention?

I have one in such and area and am trying to make sure come fall for a 3 months it should be a concern. I was thinking one in floresent orange color would make it pretty understandable after a bit.

Your input most apprecaited.

SwampYankee

I did use it, but it tends to get lost in with all the others. I was trying to see if they had soemthing brighter that one would not miss that might go on the line like the smile faces....

I see a lot of caches being on public land are also lands used for hunting. Is there by chance and Icon available to put on your cache page that would stand out to bring hunting concerns to peoples attention?

I have one in such and area and am trying to make sure come fall for a 3 months it should be a concern. I was thinking one in floresent orange color would make it pretty understandable after a bit.

Your input most apprecaited.

SwampYankee

I was thinking that also Brian....Is there a way to say do the text so its highlighted in color say orange or even Yellow in the cache listing?

You can always mention that hunting is allowed in bold in the text.

Yes, you can do it with an HTML statement. Yellow won't show up well, but red or blue do. Something like this will work:

<hr color="#ff0000">

<center><b><font size="+1"><font color="red">IMPORTANT

NOTE-IMPORTANT NOTE-IMPORTANT NOTE</font></font></b></center>

<br>

<font color="red">Hunting is allowed on this land. Be sure to

wear orange in hunting season and use caution.</font> <br>

<br>

<hr color="#ff0000">

Great, I'll give it a try in the morning on the cache page. I just want to be sure they see it....Thanks very much. SwampYankee

I was thinking that also Brian....Is there a way to say do the text so its highlighted in color say orange or even Yellow in the cache listing?

You can always mention that hunting is allowed in bold in the text.

Yes, you can do it with an HTML statement. Yellow won't show up well, but red or blue do. Something like this will work:

<hr color="#ff0000">

<center><b><font size="+1"><font color="red">IMPORTANT

NOTE-IMPORTANT NOTE-IMPORTANT NOTE</font></font></b></center>

<br>

<font color="red">Hunting is allowed on this land. Be sure to

wear orange in hunting season and use caution.</font> <br>

<br>

<hr color="#ff0000">

... I was thinking one in floresent orange color would make it pretty understandable after a bit. ...
If it is such a concern (fully justified in my opinion, a fully aware hunter is a safe hunter), how about using a 1 pixel blaze orange .jpg as a background image on the cache page for the hunting season?

I might think about doing something similiar with my two caches in just such an area.

I'm a hunter also and live on big farm and grew up on hunting and fishing. Yet, I want to make sure that I alert those that don't hunt and might go into these areas without the floresent orange on during hunting season. One of these areas is for bird hunting. Heck if its good enough for Chennys friends....just kidding...

I want to make sure I do my part and that orange pixel sounds like the right idea also..... Public land used for many uses is great. I have a Pheasent Icon here also I was thinking of putting on the page. Plenty of time yet, but just trying to do it right. Let me know if you come up with a good idea. I'm sure its a concern for many. The one in the attributes is fine, but it mixes in with all the others and tends to get lost. Fact, up until recently I seldom read the attributes... It was get the coordinates and go hunt, so I assume others might be as stupid as I am and do the same.

Tnx for your input.. SwampYankee

... I was thinking one in floresent orange color would make it pretty understandable after a bit. ...
If it is such a concern (fully justified in my opinion, a fully aware hunter is a safe hunter), how about using a 1 pixel blaze orange .jpg as a background image on the cache page for the hunting season?

I might think about doing something similiar with my two caches in just such an area.

Go ahead and use this url as a background image. I will make it a white 1x1 gif and setup a script so that it changes automatically to orange october 1st and back again to white on jan 1st

http://www.cacheopedia.com/huntingseasonwhite.gif

PS. I am not going to actually make the image until tonight when I get home, but use the url anyway and it'll be setup by tonight. Also, I will likely make other colors too other than white, but they will all turn to orange during deer season

PPS. Can someone else please post the html code to use that url?

Use the cache attribute for "Hunting Area" on cache pages:

hunting-yes.gif

Would it be possible to make that icon in blaze orange? It would definitely stand out that way. The "No Hunting" icon could remain as is.

Note that I inlcude a red color line of text detailing hunting season start and end dates, as well as teh requirement for 20 sq in of blaze clothing during that time.

Use the cache attribute for "Hunting Area" on cache pages:

hunting-yes.gif

Would it be possible to make that icon in blaze orange? It would definitely stand out that way. The "No Hunting" icon could remain as is.

Note that I inlcude a red color line of text detailing hunting season start and end dates, as well as teh requirement for 20 sq in of blaze clothing during that time.

I have to say, that is possibly the best idea I've seen regarding the attribute icons to date.

It is a pretty good idea. You might want to take this over to Geocaching.com website forum where the developers will see it.

Before I do, I want to make sure that won't be considered posting in multiple forums.

Could the whole thread be moved?

Moving to website forum. The change in the icon colors to blaze orange is a pretty good idea if it can be implemented.

Most people notice the blaze orange for sure and know what it means. It they don't, just the color will catch their eye long enough to read it. We all share the same lands so the more we are in tune to each others hobbies the better for all I would think.

Now I just have to figure out how to get Google Earth to show me the deer runs that are on the way to a nice cache...

Thanks guys for your consideration on a brighter icon.

SwampYankee

It is a pretty good idea. You might want to take this over to Geocaching.com website forum where the developers will see it.

Before I do, I want to make sure that won't be considered posting in multiple forums.

Could the whole thread be moved?

Moving to website forum. The change in the icon colors to blaze orange is a pretty good idea if it can be implemented.

The attribute Icon color change is a great idea.

hunting-yes.gif (Before)

hunting-yes-orange.gif (After?)

Plus I was thinking that putting the red text and/or seperate graphic banner on the cache page directly,

is probably a good idea as well because when you go to "print-friendly" the icon/background aren't usually printed.

The attribute Icon color change is a great idea.

hunting-yes.gif (Before)

hunting-yes-orange.gif (After?)

Plus I was thinking that putting the red text and/or seperate graphic banner on the cache page directly,

is probably a good idea as well because when you go to "print-friendly" the icon/background aren't usually printed.

I like it, but I'd make the reticle all black to stand out better than the gray. For reference, here is how I labeled my cache:

Look at the bottom of teh page

I used hex color code #E56717, bolded it, and it seems OK.

Edited by New England n00b

Looking very good guys. Neither broken back or gut shot are good but the cross hairs stand out nice that way. I like the colored text also and the link for the hunting rules the state. It sure shows we are concerned for their welfare. SwampYankee

[

quote name=MrCOgeo' date='Apr 8 2006, 12:07 PM' post='2142734]

... I like it, but I'd make the reticle all black to stand out better than the gray. ...

Good point. (Plus I moved the aiming point to a little more humane spot :D )

hunting-yes-orange2.gif (After? #2)

After some quick scripting/debugging I came up with a .cgi (Perl) script that shows a hunting notice/banner only certain months of the year on the cache page. The banner can be anything the user wants.

Feel free to email me if you want a copy of the code.

Here's my banner for reference:

huntingseason.gif

PS: Yeah, definitely not a good shot, I don't recommend it to anyone. Just commenting that the terminus had moved with my latest edit.

Edited by MrCOgeo
... I like it, but I'd make the reticle all black to stand out better than the gray. ...

Good point. (Plus I moved the aiming point to a little more humane spot :laughing: )

hunting-yes-orange2.gif (After? #2)

I like it, I like it! I wouldn't worry about shot placement though. Anyone who takes hunting advice from an obscure icon on a non-(animal)-hunting website really needs to reconsider what they are doing. :rolleyes:

So if the icon gets changed to orange, the cacher/hunter group will be happy?

Then the cachers that are in wheelchairs will ask if the handicap accessable icon can be made to blink so that it shows up more easily. Do we all agree that it's important enough to change it?

And then the cachers that enjoy night caching request that the night caching icon be turned to bright red to it shows up to them more easily.

Eventually every cache page with icons will have this really annoying section where the icons are located, and none of the icons will stand out because they all are attempting to stand out.

I vote we just leave them all alone and let the cacher be responsible for reading the page carefully. The owner can use HTML to make a warning stand out as they feel necessary.

Then the cachers that are in wheelchairs will ask if the handicap accessable icon can be made to blink so that it shows up more easily. Do we all agree that it's important enough to change it?

<SNIP>

We could make that one blue! ;)

I get what you're trying to say, in the rest of your post, but I don't know if it will happen quite that much.

<SNIP>

We could make that one blue! ;)

I get what you're trying to say, in the rest of your post, but I don't know if it will happen quite that much.

Yeah, I agree. The hunting one is the one most likely to cause serious bodily harm or death if not approached with the right mindset, so I think it is worthy of some extra attetion. Nightcaching, handicap caching - all those things aren't life-threatening by their very nature - hunting and firearms are.

Just my 2 cents.