How Often Is City Navigator Updated?

I notice the last version was like in June of last year, I think. How often is it updated with new data? And, can updates be purchased as an update or do you have to buy a whole new copy? Lot of roads in my area are new (built within the last year).

I guess the only way to tell about your area is to try it on the Garmin web site?? Not many of the new roads around here were showing in Version 7.

I guess another approach would be to add in a new road yourself. Can that be done so that the new road will be considered in auto-routing?

And, what is the price for V7? Couldn't find that on the Garmin site.

I notice the last version was like in June of last year, I think. How often is it updated with new data?

June 1st was the nominal date last year, but AIRC it didn't actually ship until late July or so. It's been updated annually for the last few years. Anyone who unlocked the previous version on or after the nominal date gets to upgrade to the new version free of charge, but others pay an upgrade fee. The upgrade CD/DVDs are sent out free upon request, but to use them requires an unlock code and that's when you need to pay the upgrade fee.

Note that there's some lead time involved in getting the NavTeq data load into the proper format for Garmin and distributing the software so don't expect all the latest streets to appear. Informing NavTeq of any new streets in your area may improve the chances that they'll be included as quickly as possible.

I'm wondering how much "updating" really happens in each "update."

CS, and now CN, have been claiming for year (at least 6) that I can turn left onto a state route at the end of my street.... This hasn't been possible for the last 20 YEARS!!!!! And yes, I have emailed and even sent digital pictures of the concrete barrier that prevents said left-hand turn...

There's also a few roads that appeared on county maps as proposals, that never were actually built, that show in CS7...

I've found that I let the unit try to devine a route, then drive the roads that I know exist, and create a route from the tracklog.

It would be nice if the next "update" actually is comprehensive... I'd much rather deal with a somewhat slower update schedule to get increased accuracy in return.

I won't even comment on the woefull inaccuracy I encounter in south NJ.

I sent in a report of a new street on January 10th. Peter submitted a report in mid-November and we both got responses from NavTeq around the same time in mid-February that our streets would be added to their database.

My street still doesn't appear on Yahoo or MapQuest maps yet, and I doubt that it will be in this summer's MapSource products. I do have hope of seeing it in v. 9 though!

When my brother moved into a new house, it took about 3 whole years for his street to appear in any Garmin products!

In all fairness, I should add that for whatever reason, they are VERY good about updating Bluechart.

Canals, shoals, and marinas change faster that you would imagine, and each release of Bluechart has been STELLAR at keeping up with both man-made and natural changes to the waterways and bays I fish.

I wish CS, now CN, would follow suit.

In Sweden, I've had good experience with Navteq. If I register a complaint on their web site, I get a response in a few months, where they say they've investigated and fixed it, or that it already was fixed in their database.

Then one must realize that there may be a latency of 6-15 months, due to the update rate from Garmin.

With some of the data in Blue Charts and their aviation data, it's a matter of safety, and sometimes life-or-death. I don't think too many lives will depend on whether a new road shows up on a map or not.

Neo -

My neighbor just retired from the Houston fire dept and he says that most of their fire trucks and ambulances are now carrying GPSr units. He said that the number of call-outs to a GPSr location have been increasing in the last few years, mainly for auto accidents.

With some of the data in Blue Charts and their aviation data, it's a matter of safety, and sometimes life-or-death. I don't think too many lives will depend on whether a new road shows up on a map or not.

My neighbor just retired from the Houston fire dept and he says that most of their fire trucks and ambulances are now carrying GPSr units. He said that the number of call-outs to a GPSr location have been increasing in the last few years, mainly for auto accidents.

Sure, but I'd hope and expect that a fire department would keep very up-to-date maps of their own area as new developments are built. And that they'd also get updates on any special road conditions (maintenance closures, washouts, etc.) directly from the transportation department for the area. They certainly shouldn't be depending on getting periodic updates from NavTeq.

Sure, but I'd hope and expect that a fire department would keep very up-to-date maps of their own area as new developments are built. And that they'd also get updates on any special road conditions (maintenance closures, washouts, etc.) directly from the transportation department for the area. They certainly shouldn't be depending on getting periodic updates from NavTeq.

The problem is not with the fire dept guys - they know the streets. Houston is not laid out on nice square grids like most sensible places. More like a bowl of spagetti. With over 2000 sq miles. and many sq miles of vacant areas inside the city limits, many people calling in haven't the foggiest idea of where they are. So, if they have a GPSr in the car, they call in the coordinates. Also, the greater Houston area is probably 3 times as big, in area, as the Houston city limits.

I had great trouble with the layout of Houston when I transferred down here from Tulsa. In Tulsa the streets are laid out on nice 1 sq mile grids. And you can tell where you are based on the street names.

[The problem is not with the fire dept guys - they know the streets. Houston is not laid out on nice square grids like most sensible places. More like a bowl of spagetti. With over 2000 sq miles. and many sq miles of vacant areas inside the city limits, many people calling in haven't the foggiest idea of where they are. So, if they have a GPSr in the car, they call in the coordinates. Also, the greater Houston area is probably 3 times as big, in area, as the Houston city limits.

I had great trouble with the layout of Houston when I transferred down here from Tulsa. In Tulsa the streets are laid out on nice 1 sq mile grids. And you can tell where you are based on the street names.

Ha, ha, ha, you think Houston is bad. Boston streets were overlaid on cow trails. It takes Harry Hudini to get out of that mess!

Moo!

...And, what is the price for V7? Couldn't find that on the Garmin site.

Garmin's web site http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp says U.S. List Price of $139.27, although you can get it at many online retailers for about $120.

Does anyone know of a cheaper price?

I got City Select from GPS Discount for 108 or so.

The update will come out in late summer to mid-fall. And don't worry honkies, they'll get yur money.

You just couldn't resist, could ya?

In all fairness, I should add that for whatever reason, they are VERY good about updating Bluechart.

Canals, shoals, and marinas change faster that you would imagine, and each release of Bluechart has been STELLAR at keeping up with both man-made and natural changes to the waterways and bays I fish.

I wish CS, now CN, would follow suit.

Maybe it's all a matter of WHO is doing the updates?

With City Navigator (I'll leave CS out since it's being dropped from their line) I'm sure it's hard to keep it up to date each and every year. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of cities and towns. Keeping it up to date is quite an undertaking. I'm sure the main priority, at least in California, is changing all the freeway exits to the new numbering system.