Cachemate 1.1 For Pocket Pc

(if you're here about the Palm OS version of CacheMate, please visit that thread instead)

CacheMate 1.1 for Pocket PC was released this evening, with the following additions:

- Travel bug management

- VGA display support (PPC 2003SE and later)

- Full-text searching via Pocket PC's Find app

- Waypoint navigation via command line or cmate: URL

- Keyboard searching of the list view

There are a slew of other enhancements and bug fixes in this release as well. Check the change log for a full list.

Plugins released tonight:

- CacheNav 1.0.1 (adds VGA support, coinciding with the CacheMate release)

- Spoiler Sync integration

As always, before asking questions, be sure to check all relevant FAQs, documentation, and the forum thread for previous versions. Also, the problem with the installer and square screens I still don't have a fix for, so if you need the CAB files send an email to support (at) smittyware.com.

Enjoy!

Edited by Maeglin

Shouldn't I be able to open a GPX file exported from Cachemate with "Watcher" to view it's contents?

You should, and you could, provided Watcher knew how to deal with the fact that every one of the Groundspeak fields in a GPX file are optional according to the specs. Apparently it doesn't, so you can't.

The exported GPX files are valid. The issue is with Watcher. Take it up with ClayJar.

Are you aware of any program that IS capable at the present time?

GSAK can, as far as I know. As far as any other possibilities, they could exist but I don't know of them. There are definitely other possibilities (like any of TopoGrafix's software) if you don't mind not getting anything from the Groundspeak extensions. There's also GPSBabel.

Edited by Maeglin

My interest is in being able to make additions, subtractions and other edits to the GPX file (NGS Dat file converted thru BMGPX) on the PC without losing the description data.

I've also contacted Dan at Expert GPS about it having the same capabilities,and to see if he would look in to it.

I'll bet you two "Brainiacs" could make it happen.

My interest is in being able to make additions, subtractions and other edits to the GPX file (NGS Dat file converted thru BMGPX) on the PC without losing the description data.

Yeah, that's fairly outside the scope of what I'm doing. If, on the other hand, you wanted to do the edits on the PDA, you can do that already with CacheMate.

A hint encoding problem was reported yesterday with the GPX import function, which apparently cropped up somewhere among recent changes to that particular plugin. A patched version of the GPX import DLL is available via the known issues page until the next version of CacheMate is released with the fix.

Sure didn't... odd, that. Nothing in the spam folder either.

Maybe there'll be better luck once we're in the same state? :o

Bummer :blink:. I may have to try sending email from a different account then. Let me know when you get settled here in Georgia and we'll go field test CacheMate :o

From the main site:

Release - CacheMate 1.1.1a (Pocket PC)

This release is actually just a repackaging of the program. A new, custom-written installer is being used that solves the problem of installing on devices with square screens. An updated GPX import plugin is included as well, improving support for HTML entities and multiple GPX files in a ZIP file. CacheNav is now included in the CacheMate install, as an optional component.

That pretty much knocks out everything on the known issues list :grin:

Edited by Maeglin

Now that the relocation is mostly done, I've started doing some catch-up as far as work on CacheMate (Palm and Pocket PC). At this point, I'm not far from a 1.2 beta of the Pocket PC version. The biggest changes are as follows:

- Voice log notes

- 3 "custom" fields (available for any use), with GPX import/export

- Support for GC.com's "additional waypoints"

- Option for smaller list view text on VGA displays

The latter two are the only things left to be done. That last one most people may not have much use for, but who knows... Clyde may find a use for the extra fields in his GSAK GPX export :D Additional export capabilities will be added later but, as any CacheMate user knows (or should know), those generally don't involve full CacheMate releases.

Anyway, if you're interested in getting in on beta testing of this version, send an email to support (at) smittyware.com. I'll send a reply to all of those interested when it's ready.

Export plugins have just been released for the following file formats:

- M$ Pocket Streets 2002 pushpins (tested well with 2005)

- PocketMap Navigator 2003/2004 favorites

The former allows for either naming the PSP file explicitly, or selecting an existing map file to base the name on.

As soon as I can decide on a GUI for configuring map symbols, I'll be working on plugins to export Magellan SD card files and do serial transfers with Garmin and Magellan units.

As soon as I can decide on a GUI for configuring map symbols, I'll be working on plugins to export Magellan SD card files and do serial transfers with Garmin and Magellan units.

Way cool! I've already done the idiot thing of loading the PDA and forgetting the GPS. GPXSonar works as a kludge but I'd much rather use cachemate. Something ubergeek about loading your GPS from your PDA mind you :D