Garmin 76csx - I Could Use Some Knowledgeable Wisdom

I could use some knowledgeable wisdom in regards to the Garmin 76CSx...

Basically, I have two questions:

1. I cannot enter Test Mode via the usual method (holding down Enter while powering up). While that works on the 76CS, it does *not* work on the 76CSx (unless there's something wrong with my unit). Does anyone know how to get into Test Mode on these new x-series units?

2. Can someone who genuinely knows tell me what the pros and cons are of sending caches to this GPS as Waypoints vs POIs? I know that if I send them as POIs, I am not subject to the 1000 waypoint limitation, and I also have larger fields for name and description. But I'm sure there's more to it than that, for both good and bad. Anyone know for certain what the complete deal is?

Thanks!!! :)

The surest way to mess up a SiFT III GPS like the 60 and 76 x-series GPS units, is to somehow get into TEST mode.

No GPS should ever lock onto satellites, while in test mode, it may cause your GPS to loose all the calibration settings, that were put into it at the factory, like the temperature calibration table, that compensates for errors in the crystal osilator(this controls the clock in the GPS) in the GPS, I believe the crystal osilator would run faster in hot weather, and slower in freezing temperatures, so that is why you don't want to loose the tempurature calibration tables, by going into test mode while in view of satellites.

I have heard of many GPS units on these forums start to loose their ability to zero in on waypoints, and a big part of the problem, maybe the loss of the temperature calibration tables, and the best way to recover it, for better positioning quality, is to pack the GPS in ICE, while locked on the satellites, then bring up the temperature to about 100 degrees F, or 40 degrees C, all while locked on the satellites.

Edited by GOT GPS?

fwiw - with a 76 CSX I did enter debug mode by holding down enter whilst powering on .. so its a debug screen :) why go there its kinda boring

2,, waypoints v POI

POI advantage ... you can have lots as in multi 1000s......

POI disadvantage .. Geocaching mode does not work

Waypoints : in a 76CSX limit of 1000 .. in a lot of other garmins 500

Pros .. Geocaching mode works

2,, waypoints v POI

POI advantage ... you can have lots as in multi 1000s......

POI disadvantage .. Geocaching mode does not work

Waypoints : in a 76CSX limit of 1000 .. in a lot of other garmins 500

Pros .. Geocaching mode works

Well, I never use Geocaching mode, so I couldn't care less about that. However, are there problems displaying the Custom POIs on the map (for example, I would want to display the Custom POIs, but not the built-in POIs)? Or are there problems searching for Custom POIs by name? ( I seem to recall a post somewhere about someone having that problem...)