Legend Cx & 128mb Microsd Card Issues

blang

Hey all. I recently purchased and have been trying out this new Legend Cx model, no problems until yesterday when I installed a new 128MB MicroSD card and attempted to load maps. I had previously used the included 32mb card to load some map data without a problem.

Last night I went through the process of uploading about 108MB of maps onto the 128MB card. It failed every time due to a communication error or some other issue. I found the firmware update for the Cx and the Mapsource software update, installed them and tried again. I did a hard reset on the unit twice, formatted the card, etc. I even trimmed the maps down to less than 50MB with no success. Every time the Garmin still shows 'uploading data' on the display as if no error occurred.

I was then forced to trim the maps down to about 29MB so they would fit on the original card, and they uploaded to the original 32MB card with no issues. Thus I suspect there is either a problem with this specific card, or the formatting on it, or something else altogether. The card will read on my PC when fitted into it's SD adapter card (so will the original 32MB). I did note that after the failure to write data to the Legend, I popped the card into the PC and it did show the 'Garmin' directory with a data file in it, so it is apparently communicating somewhat. It's a 'Ridata' 'Ritek' MicroSD card, if it matters.

Anyone have any issues like this?

This is not specific to your problem, but I have a 256 MB xD card that got corrupted somehow. My card reader, which caused the problem with the card :blink:, can still read it, but neither my Olympus camera, nor my Fuji camera, can read the card. :unsure:

All I get is "Card Error" when I put it in the cameras. :unsure:

I can still use that card for backing up files using the card reader, but for the cameras, I had to buy a new card . . .

SO . . . my vote is that there is something wrong with the card . . .

No, Garmin map products are divided up into user-selectable areas (usually rectangular grids). City Select's individual areas are pretty small and average out to less than 1MB each. As long as you have the space available in memory for the total sum of the areas selected, then you can load the maps. In the case of models which use the MicroSD memory cards, a certain amount of the card's overall capicty is used up in formatting of the card. If he's got a 128MB card, he should be able to load about 110MB - if not, then more.

Hey all. I recently purchased and have been trying out this new Legend Cx model, no problems until yesterday when I installed a new 128MB MicroSD card and attempted to load maps. I had previously used the included 32mb card to load some map data without a problem.

Last night I went through the process of uploading about 108MB of maps onto the 128MB card. It failed every time due to a communication error or some other issue. I found the firmware update for the Cx and the Mapsource software update, installed them and tried again. I did a hard reset on the unit twice, formatted the card, etc. I even trimmed the maps down to less than 50MB with no success. Every time the Garmin still shows 'uploading data' on the display as if no error occurred.

I was then forced to trim the maps down to about 29MB so they would fit on the original card, and they uploaded to the original 32MB card with no issues. Thus I suspect there is either a problem with this specific card, or the formatting on it, or something else altogether. The card will read on my PC when fitted into it's SD adapter card (so will the original 32MB). I did note that after the failure to write data to the Legend, I popped the card into the PC and it did show the 'Garmin' directory with a data file in it, so it is apparently communicating somewhat. It's a 'Ridata' 'Ritek' MicroSD card, if it matters.

Anyone have any issues like this?

I had the same problem with my new 128mb card with my 60csx. Finally ended up having to use a card reader to upload my maps. Works ok that way.

I had the same problem with my new 128mb card with my 60csx. Finally ended up having to use a card reader to upload my maps. Works ok that way.

Hmm. May be a stupid question, but can you tell me how that works? Is there a link to an article or FAQ on that? I wouldn't mind doing that for now anyway so I can get the maps uploaded I wanted to use. TIA-

Rather than hooking up your GPSr, plug your card into a card reader, and hookup your cardreader to the computer. MapSource will recognize the card reader as an available device to which it can send map data.

If your maps are maps which require unlocking to the GPSr (like City Select), and they have been properly unlocked, the map data on the card will work in the device to which it was unlocked. If you were to allow someone to borrow the card to put into their unit, they would get an error message "cannot unlock maps".

interesting. a freind with a legend cx had the same problem. we both got the 128mb sandisk (5 bucks after MIR) from circuit city. I've had no problems with mine, but he had all kinds of problems. I tested his by putting it in my 60cx, no problems. I put about 70 mb of maps on it. He RMA'd it through megaGPS, supposed to get it back today.

Contact garmin. this may be a known issue.

Thanks all for the input, I just uploaded the maps from MapSource directly onto the card, worked fine. Only one problem, the Legend doesn't recognize the maps on the card, only shows the basemap. Well, at least I've got the 32MB card to use...

Hi, I am drbugs friend who has a Legend Cx that would not load to a 128Mb card. I did return it and recieved my new one today. I am still NOT able to load to the card. However, instead of a 32Mb card I recieved a 64Mb card in my new unit and it loads up fine. I will be sending another email to Garmin questioning the 128 cards. I paid more for this functionality and would like it to work. I suppose I will also buy another card and try that. Maybe a 256.

Blang -

I bought 2 SanDisk 128 cards for my Cx from Circuit City a couple of months ago and had the same problem trying to load maps to either of them - even tho the maps were relatively few in number and well within the 128 size. As a matter of fact, I think one of them was about 89 mbs.

Now that I've said that, I subsequently bought a couple of SanDisk 256 cards and have had no problems with either of them.

al

I popped a new 512MB into my 60Cx fresh out of the package, and then two weeks later I got my 1.0GB card. I used a card reader to put my maps onto the 1.0GB card. I haven't tried going direct to the unit with that one. Are y'all doing anything to these things before putting them into your GPSrs? Are you trying them out in other devices first? ...formatting them on the computer first? ...carrying them through house with shag carpeting in your socks?

If otterbob is having the problem with a 60Cx, then it's not limited to a particular model of GPSr... It's not limited to a specific brand of memory card... But it DOES seem to be only with 128MB cards...? But still some 128MB cards work... :bad::o

What about MapSource... I'm using the latest version 6.10.2

Is anyone who has this problem running a version of MapSource other than 6.10.2? In MapSource on the Menu Bar, click on "Help" and select "About MapSource" - then check the version number.

CLICK HERE to get the latest version update for MapSource.

What about card readers...? I'm using a "Thunderbolt" (CLICK HERE and searc all products for "Thunderbolt").

I'm loading a new map set (925MB) into the 1.0GB card through the unit now. It's building the index files now - I'll let y'all know how it went in the morning.

Edited by Neo_Geo

If otterbob is having the problem with a 60Cx, then it's not limited to a particular model of GPSr... It's not limited to a specific brand of memory card... But it DOES seem to be only with 128MB cards...? But still some 128MB cards work... :bad::o

What about MapSource... I'm using the latest version 6.10.2

Is anyone who has this problem running a version of MapSource other than 6.10.2?

I am running 6.10.2 and have topo and metroguide, neither work directly via the gps with the 128. No problem with the stock 64. I kind of like doing it through the card reader, seemed to be really fast that way although i think garmin should fix the problem.

F.W.I.W. my new map set loaded without any problems...

Seems that using a card reader is a possible solution, but not definitely guaranteed to work. In message #12 above, blang says the maps loaded, but his unit doesn't recognize them...? Other than that, everyone who used a card reader/writer seems to get it to work. Makes me wonder if maybe blang didn't check the Maps option in MapSource before sending the maps to the card or some other anomaly...

The price of a card reader/writer is probably the same as the difference between a 128MB and a 256MB card (or more). You need a reader to get the track log files off of the card anyway (if you use that feature). I agree that Garmin should address the issue. One should NOT have to buy additional equipment to get their units to recognize a particular size card...

I went through some SD card problems recently and discovered something that might be relevant here. There are apparently multiple ways to format these cards.

I bought a new card, put some data on it with a card reader and then stuck that in my Palm. It seemed happy with the card, but had a lot of trouble seeing some files and reading some databases (but not everything). In the end I discovered that if I formatted the card on the Palm PDA then it would perform perfectly (although slower). Now I can stick this card into any slot I have and it works fine. Prior to this formatting, it would only work in "fast devices" like my laptop and an attached USB card reader.

So if there is a way to use the GPS to format the card, then you might try that. Ditto for those of you who have had trouble with SD cards in cameras.

Are you sure FAT32 is correct.

Every Garmin product I have used ONLY works when formatted to FAT16. Have you formatted the card using the GPSr?

I'll check the format of my original card when I get home. I don't think there's a way to format the card or erase data from it using the GPSr. I'm pretty sure that all you can do is write and overwrite data.