Binoculars

I have two pairs of mini bins One set I bought at a boot sale 30mag X 25. Size 110mm X 65mm. and they are small and do the job. I carry them in my cacheing bag Cost £10

My other pair are Minox 12 X 25. They are the same size Cost... Don't know as my daughter bought them for me.

Check out the small ones. There are some very good ones very cheap if you shop around.

I have a pair of 21 x 20s, made by Tasco, which are adequate for all but the lowest of light levels. They fold away neatly and have been very resistant to hard knocks and other abuse such as getting wet. They cost me something around £10 in one of those Asian run miscellaneous emporium shops.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. If you want a good pair that will last, get the best you can afford. My bins, like all my cameras, are Nikon. The optics are superb and the build quality is excellent. They also carry a world wide warranty if you're thinking of travelling. They have a wide selection, ranging from relatively inexpensive to "OMG... HOW much?". The pair that live in my Ruck are compact 8x20s and I wouldn't be without them. Don't know the current price, however.... sorry.

Glad you've made your mind up.

If you were looking for a cheap pair which wouldn't matter too much if they were lost or scratched etc you could look at 7dayshop.com where they start at £5.99 (+ p&p). I have no connection with them but have just bought a pair of 10*42 waterproof binos which seem very good.

..... one of those Asian run miscellaneous emporium shops.

Does it have to be in an Asian run miscellaneous emporium shop? Or do other non ethnic shops sell them?

Bit of a racist comment when you read into it, don't you think? :D:cry:

I think Haggis Hunter is totally wrong with his comment.

How can a fact be a racist comment.

100% of "£" type shops are Asian owned.

How can calling a shop Asian owned be racist.

Get real with the real world mate.

Dare I mention Scottish owned shops in Edingburgh.

:)

Currykev

I called into a garage yesterday for diesel and as I filled up I happened to read the signs above the pumps and there were binos on sale for £2.99 or £3.99. I bought a pair.

Ok so they're not going to be the worlds best, but they're light and the pouch that comes with them has a belt loop.

My feelings are that I carry quite a bit with me anyway so lightness is important.

Does it have to be in an Asian run miscellaneous emporium shop? Or do other non ethnic shops sell them?

Bit of a racist comment when you read into it, don't you think? :P<_<

None that I could see.

Struggling to see any racism in the post myself

Bit of a racist comment when you read into it, don't you think? :P:P

Not to pick any sides, but I do see HH's point. I think what HH saw in this is the fact that Asians run the "miscellaneous emporium " was besides the point and didn't need mentioning. Althought here was nothing racists in the comment, why was it even bought up?

Now I will duck for cover and retreat to a safe distance before another discussion gets out of hand! <_<

Not to pick any sides, but I do see HH's point. I think what HH saw in this is the fact that Asians run the "miscellaneous emporium " was besides the point and didn't need mentioning. Althought here was nothing racists in the comment, why was it even bought up?

because....

Oh forget it. Let's just not go there!

This thread was about binoculars! <_<

Agreed.I can't wait for my new bins to arrive,although now I think about it...maybe we Geocachers would be better off with equipment that can see things(caches) from close range not long range.I doubt I'll find a cache with bins from 100 yards.

Bit of a racist comment when you read into it, don't you think? :mad:<_<

:mad:

Currykev

Now I will duck for cover and retreat to a safe distance before another discussion gets out of hand! :mad:

because....

OK, people have questioned my comments, so I will justify them and then as far as I am concerned that is the end of it.

NOT ALL £ shops are ran by Asians, they may be in your neck of the woods Kev? But I have lived and travelled the lenght of the UK, a large amount of it in England. Yes I have came across cheap shops ran by Asians, who hasn't? But other than members of staff being in the shops, Poundstretcher and Wilkinson, (which both fit into the description) as far as I am aware aren't owned by Asians!

For Curry Kev & The Forester to label cheap shops as an Asian alone enterprise is a racist view. It certainly is in my view anyway.

Here is a joke that fits in with the comments made by Curry Kev and The Forester -

Why are Pakistan not allowed into the World Cup?

Because, everytime they get a corner they open a shop!

I'll let the audience decide whether the joke is racist or not? I certainly know what it is, and would like to point out it is there to make a point.

I also wouldn't like to hazard a guess on how many shops in Edinburgh are owned by Scottish people.

Why?

Because I haven't got the audacity to ask a person that hasn't got the same skin colour as myself if they are Scottish or not.

The Scottish executive are running a great campaign at the moment, the adverts certainly make you think about what you say and how you say it. It is called One Scotland: No Place for racism

This thread was about binoculars! :mad:

You are of course correct, and I wish I hadn't seen this ill thought comment. Espescially from someone who likes to hold himself with high esteem within the forums, and degrades anyone who makes mistakes within their posts.

To try and keep the thread on topic, I will not respond to any more comments, and urge that if anyone disagrees with me to PM me and I will happilly carry the discussion on in private.

Nicely said! ..........I have a small folding pair that slip into my shirt pocket, 10 X 25, really excellent got them for a tenner at the Tuesday Portland (Dorset) market. Always have them in my geocaching daysack as you never know when you may have need of them, wild life, planes, lovers! all sorts of opportunities have arisen in the past. Then still cannot see a cache 3 feet in front of me !! <_<

Bit of a racist comment when you read into it, don't you think? :D:D

:D

Currykev

Now I will duck for cover and retreat to a safe distance before another discussion gets out of hand! :D

because....

OK, people have questioned my comments, so I will justify them and then as far as I am concerned that is the end of it.

NOT ALL £ shops are ran by Asians, they may be in your neck of the woods Kev? But I have lived and travelled the lenght of the UK, a large amount of it in England. Yes I have came across cheap shops ran by Asians, who hasn't? But other than members of staff being in the shops, Poundstretcher and Wilkinson, (which both fit into the description) as far as I am aware aren't owned by Asians!

For Curry Kev & The Forester to label cheap shops as an Asian alone enterprise is a racist view. It certainly is in my view anyway.

Here is a joke that fits in with the comments made by Curry Kev and The Forester -

Why are Pakistan not allowed into the World Cup?

Because, everytime they get a corner they open a shop!

I'll let the audience decide whether the joke is racist or not? I certainly know what it is, and would like to point out it is there to make a point.

I also wouldn't like to hazard a guess on how many shops in Edinburgh are owned by Scottish people.

Why?

Because I haven't got the audacity to ask a person that hasn't got the same skin colour as myself if they are Scottish or not.

The Scottish executive are running a great campaign at the moment, the adverts certainly make you think about what you say and how you say it. It is called One Scotland: No Place for racism

This thread was about binoculars! :(

You are of course correct, and I wish I hadn't seen this ill thought comment. Espescially from someone who likes to hold himself with high esteem within the forums, and degrades anyone who makes mistakes within their posts.

To try and keep the thread on topic, I will not respond to any more comments, and urge that if anyone disagrees with me to PM me and I will happilly carry the discussion on in private.

Jeez all that to try and make it look like you aint having a go at the Forester :D

Thanks for that. I've found a Nikon Travelite V 8x25 for £50.

That seems a pretty good buy so I'm going to get a pair of those.

Getting them from Warehouse Express Online for anyone who's interested.

Spot on.Another pair bought,as the £5 garage bins don't really cut the mustard.

Have you had yours delivered yet? they are messing about with my order ATM ;)

EDIT: I've just changed my name from rinty BTW, just in case you wondered ;)

Edited by Dan LXIX

They got back to me later yesterday. They have secured a few more of the binos from Nikon and will have them in 7-10 days, so you may get a pair. It might be worth ringing them because they take a few days to deal with emails. The lady I spoke to yesterday was very helpful.