Geocaching In The Guardian On Sat

Did anybody read the article in the Guardian on Sat entitled 'More ideas on how to keep your teenager happy this Easter'?

I have found it by searching the Guardian website.

It does mention 'A Junior School in South Wales gave one (TB) to each class as part of a geography project and they are tracking each one to see which travels the furthest'.

This is true as I am the teacher who has set them off as well as my headmaster who introduced me to this hobby and they are travelling well - America, Switzerland, S Africa, England, one got muggled and I sent off the copy after asking advice on here.

I have now been contacted by a journalist who wants to do a piece for the Times Education Supplement which could be interesting.

Just wondering what everyone thinks???? Or read it?

Did anybody read the article in the Guardian on Sat entitled 'More ideas on how to keep your teenager happy this Easter'?

I have found it by searching the Guardian website.

It does mention 'A Junior School in South Wales gave one (TB) to each class as part of a geography project and they are tracking each one to see which travels the furthest'.

This is true as I am the teacher who has set them off as well as my headmaster who introduced me to this hobby and they are travelling well - America, Switzerland, S Africa, England, one got muggled and I sent off the copy after asking advice on here.

I have now been contacted by a journalist who wants to do a piece for the Times Education Supplement which could be interesting.

Just wondering what everyone thinks???? Or read it?

Congratulations on get some good publicity :unsure:

It sounds interesting, I'm sure the pupils also find it fun. It has given me an idea for TBs though. Remember when you were at school, and a load of kids wrote their names and addresses on peices of paper and tied them to helieum balloons, in a contest to see who's travelled furthest? What you have done is very similar! Set a time limit of say a month, release a load of bugs on the same day at the same (rather large, coming to think of it) cache, and see who's travelled the furthest in miles, and who's got the greatest distance from the original cache! After the month is up, the race would be to get all bugs back to home base :unsure:

I found out about geocaching because a class in my school was doing it as part of their geography topic. I'm now completely hooked!

We're a fairly small special school and other classes are now involved - It's great to see them getting all excited in their wellies and anoraks before they set off and then to hear about how much fun they've had once they return.

I look forward to (hopefully!) seeing a piece in the TES!

With kind regards,

Cat