Question About Expertgps Software

Abuelo

I have been happily using expertgps for many years now. I upgraded to their new version and I am not as happy a user. Somehow I found it a little less intuative to use and not as fast. Can't really explain it though.

Be sure to check out topofusion as well :)

I think ExpertGPS is one of the best track editors around. I like the photo/topo options, and because it uses older map data I often turn to it when I want to see what things may have looked like some years ago (don't know if everyone would find that a good thing).

I also appreciate that it's one of the few 3rd party apps that will communicate directly with my Explorist.

...I upgraded to their new version and I am not as happy a user. Somehow I found it a little less intuative to use and not as fast.

I also upgraded somewhat recently and am pretty disappointed.

I absolutely loved the old version. (version 1.3-something or other I think)

The new version (which according to a note buried on the website is a near complete rewrite) is as slow as a pig when downloading map pieces and and is slow and a CPU hog when panning around the map at certain (mostly the outer) zoom levels. The old version was *much* faster. It also seems to me that the map tiles (which are just jpegs) are compressed more, such that at the highest zoom levels, the map detail is quite pixelated and hard to read. I don't think this was as much as a problem in the past but could be wrong.

Have no problems with the new interface, though. Except for a few areas of new functionality, it's the same as the old interface.