Taking A Trip To New Brunswick Canada

arcticcatmatt

Hello all,

My brother is going to Plaster Rock New Brunswick Canada in May. Its a week long trip. He has a magellan meridan gold.

He wants to use his gps with good detail up there but I am unable to help him. Its a week long trip and he is scared to dish out the big bucks for the software when he will never be in Canada again (or for at least a very long time) Its just a hunting trip.

What should he do? Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks!

~Arcticcatmatt

Edited by arcticcatmatt

Hello all,

My brother is going to Plaster Rock New Brunswick Canada in May. Its a week long trip. He has a magellan meridan gold.

He wants to use his gps with good detail up there but I am unable to help him. Its a week long trip and he is scared to dish out the big bucks for the software when he will never be in Canada again (or for at least a very long time) Its just a hunting trip.

What should he do? Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks!

~Arcticcatmatt

Unfortunately, Magellan does not have a map product available without spending the big bucks. It would be illegal for any of us to 'give' you a map, so he's going to be stuck with either purchasing the Magellan map product, a paper map, or relying on somebody local to guide him.

The Magellan Topo Canada product can be previewed online here.

The product page indicates it will work with the Meridian Gold GPS. Have him take a look at the online preview and decide for himself if he wants to spend the money for the trip.

Too bad magellan didn't have something that only allowed it to work for a week or something..

Thanks!

I've thought about this sort of thing many times. I even touched upon it four years ago here in the forums. My idea is for the major GPSr manufacturers to allow their bonafide dealers to supply tourists/travellers with a map download service covering areas to be visited. Of course we would have to pay a fee like a basic charge plus so much per map based on size, etc., etc. but that would be a lot cheaper than putting out for the whole package. Now with the new Garmin "X" series units a traveller could buy the temporary maps over the internet and download them directly to the micro SD card. All kinds of possibilities.

Cheers, Olar

That is very true Olar. Now magellan is losing out on an entire sale. I am sure that would be a huge marketing ploy for them. I am sure there are alot of travelers that look at the price tag and say no. But, if they could just get the area they are going to for much much less, then people would bite.