Creating A New Waymark

Is this the same as a virtual cache? I had planned to do a virtual cache of a sculpture located in a large park in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Is this the place to do this? And since it is not tracked on the www.geocaching.com site, what level of interest is there in this type of hunt?

Thanks...

Is this the same as a virtual cache? I had planned to do a virtual cache of a sculpture located in a large park in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Is this the place to do this?

GC.com no longer allows new virtual caches to be listed, so yes, this is the right place.

The way this works is that in order to list a new waymark, you first need to find a category which fits. Since Waymarking is new, there are only a limited number of categories at the moment, but the list is growing every day. You should start by visiting the list of active categories. If you can find a category which will work with your sculpture, follow the directions for getting it listed there.

If you can't find an appropriate category, consider posting a proposal for a new category into which your sculpture would fit.

And since it is not tracked on the www.geocaching.com site, what level of interest is there in this type of hunt?

The interest is limited compared to geocaching at the moment (again, this is a fairly new activity). But the number of participants is growing, and now that new categories are being added on a regular basis (thanks to the new Group Management features), I think you can expect the growth to continue.

I just returned from a trip to Venice, Italy and had prepared a Virtual Cache on the island of Burano. However, I discovered that virtual caches are no longer being accepted at geocaching.com and was directed here. The purpose of my cache is to try to entice people to visit the beautiful island of Burano, a short vaparetto ride across the Venetian lagoon from Venice. The object/structure/place I am trying to post is a leaning church bell tower, similar to the leaning tower of Pisa. However, I cannot find a category for anything that comes near to fitting: island, church, bell tower, cathedral etc. I have no ambition to recruit a group and conduct a vote, be a leader etc. I just want to post a neat place that other cachers can visit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

-Birdhead

Edited by Birdhead

I'm also interested in a virtual cache. By creating it here will it appear in my GC.com profile as a cache owned? Also, I think I saw there was a category on this site for artesian wells? This is what prompted me to get the coordinates of one that I know of. What Now???

As an oficer in The Artesian Welll Category go here http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/default...82-9c2d678f2841

ON the left hand side of the page click on record waymark and that opens another window; submit your information, thats all there is to it.

The waymark will not appear in your GC. com account but as an account here. I hope that sometime in the future you can combine your stats on a profile page but that is not possible yet.

Edited by chstress53

There were no enforcable guidelines as to what could be a virtual cache. Responsible cachers sought out uniquie interesting items and made virtuals out of them. Irresponsibe cachers made virtuals out of almost anything (drive to the end of this road and email me the words on the green sign.) In some parts of the country that problem became so bad that there was a site-wide 'virtual crackdown'. The guideline became the existance of a "wow" factor, which was still subjective, but the reviewers attempted to enforce it anyway. It was the source of lots of grief between well-meaning (and not-so-well-meaning) cachers and their reviewers. Eventually the site phased out both virtuals and locationless and created Waymarking to sort of take their place.

The feature that Waymarking has that was needed, from the site perspective, is that the community server as the reviewer base. Categories and waymarks are accepted or rejected by members of the community, not by Groundspeak. There is an addtional side benefit in the case of locationless in that locationless 'finds' can now be revisited as 'visits'. In the old scheme, locationless finds were 'taken', and of no use to other cachers.

I just returned from a trip to Venice, Italy and had prepared a Virtual Cache on the island of Burano. However, I discovered that virtual caches are no longer being accepted at geocaching.com and was directed here. The purpose of my cache is to try to entice people to visit the beautiful island of Burano, a short vaparetto ride across the Venetian lagoon from Venice. The object/structure/place I am trying to post is a leaning church bell tower, similar to the leaning tower of Pisa. However, I cannot find a category for anything that comes near to fitting: island, church, bell tower, cathedral etc. I have no ambition to recruit a group and conduct a vote, be a leader etc. I just want to post a neat place that other cachers can visit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

-Birdhead

Sounds intriguing!

The is a category for "Old Churches" so this might fit there.

Bells is another category that might be proposed soon, and it could certainly be submitted there. There are also a couple of pending categories that might apply, Planet Scavengers, and "Locationless Cache Preservation Socitey."

As Waymarking.com matures, I'm sure there will be a category for most places that could be virtual caches. So, stay tuned!

There were no enforcable guidelines as to what could be a virtual cache. Responsible cachers sought out uniquie interesting items and made virtuals out of them. Irresponsibe cachers made virtuals out of almost anything

Thanks for this bit of history!

I came into geocaching fairly recently and never knew or understood virtual and locationless caches, so waymaking was all I have experienced. This perspective helps me a lot.

Of course, I'm a HUGE fan of Waymarking! I'm having a blast. I just wish it didn't take so long to submit them online. I've got a huge backlog waiting to post!