Garmin 60csx - 512mb Card + City Software

OK, I am leaning towards a 60csx, and going to a local REI for return/warranty policies...

Few questions on the 60csx.

Did I understand someone to say that while hooked up to my computer via USB cable, that the gps is using computer power (as opposed to battery power)..?? I was hoping that some day Garmin would be able to charge batteries in the GPS while being plugged into a 12 volt adapter, but don't that's available yet.

Seems like people are split between City Select and City Navigator for software, correct..?? I think I have seen a few more people like the feel of City Select..?? I imagine there is a website that lists the size (in MB) for City Select Map sizes..??!!

Does the unit come with MapSource or any software..?? Most of my map usage will be on City Streets, but I will go on mountain trails prolly 5 -10% of the time.

I have a 512 MB card that I think will fit. I live in central California. Does 512 mb hold a large metropolitan City, or an entire state..??

Thanks

city select has smaller map segments so you can pick and choose your areas more easily.

Navigator has much larger areas and I think some have said that there are areas that wont fit into a 64meg card?

All of city select maps use about 1.5Gig (I have a one gig card and have eastern US to Elpaso give or take

do a search on city navigator and It hink you can find some info on the two on these forums

OK, I am leaning towards a 60csx, and going to a local REI for return/warranty policies...

Few questions on the 60csx.

Did I understand someone to say that while hooked up to my computer via USB cable, that the gps is using computer power (as opposed to battery power)..?? I was hoping that some day Garmin would be able to charge batteries in the GPS while being plugged into a 12 volt adapter, but don't that's available yet.

Seems like people are split between City Select and City Navigator for software, correct..?? I think I have seen a few more people like the feel of City Select..?? I imagine there is a website that lists the size (in MB) for City Select Map sizes..??!!

Does the unit come with MapSource or any software..?? Most of my map usage will be on City Streets, but I will go on mountain trails prolly 5 -10% of the time.

I have a 512 MB card that I think will fit. I live in central California. Does 512 mb hold a large metropolitan City, or an entire state..??

Thanks

First, make sure you have a *micro*SD card (not a miniSD). Also, for purchasing at REI, members sometimes get a coupon for 20% off any 1 item. It does not cover GPS receivers. However, the local REI has said that this can be used for the software - so you might want to check on that.

USB connection DOES NOT supply power to the unit to recharge batteries or run the GPS. It doesn supply some power to the USB circuit so the PC can recognize the device and its status. I have a 12 volt adapter that I can plug into a house outlet and then use the auto plug adapter to power my Map60C unit (same one that I use when driving). 512 microSD will hold many States. Unit comes with software that sets up drivers and a basic interface. You should have no problems with City navigator with that micro SD card .... and new Mapping software versions are usually out by mid-year.

Like I said ...it does get power off the USB cable but does not have a battery re-charge circuit. :unsure: ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

USB connection DOES NOT supply power to the unit to recharge batteries or run the GPS.

My 60Cx does appear to get power from the USB connection. Whenever I unplug the unit, the backlight goes off automatically and presents a message "external power source removed" (or something to that effect). I don't have the unit hooked up to the computer for any great length of time, so I cannot prove that it's getting power, but that message does lead me to believe it does. Someday I'll leave the thing connected and powered on with full backlight on for a couple of days to see for myself.

That was discussed here some weeks ago. Some users thought the were seeing their rechargeables gain charge while the unit was plugged into USB. I think there is a safety issue with this one--If you put alkys in and plugged it in, KABOOM! Well, maybe not kaboom, but it could cause some problems. The only way to get around it is to go with a different type rechargeable battery such as those on cell phones. Many users like using AAs, because they are universally available and replaceable in the field.

I believe the bottom line is that your computer will supply power through the USB cable, almost like it would through an AC converter or auto plug. What it won't do is charge the batteries, but it shouldn't be draining them either.

Rick

Yep, 'tis true. I was running my unit connected with a USB cable and no batteries in it...they were in the recharger :anibad: Works beautifully, full power.

With the TransFlash Micro card of at least 512MB (I use a 1GB) you will probably appreciate the City Navigator's larger segments, and eventually you may need the lower number of segments due to segment limitations (right now at just over 2000) . While I was using a 512MB I had all of Canada from the easttern provinces to as far west as the Detroit area, then the US south through Ohio, West Virginia and the Carolinas and everything northeast of that line. This was for BOTH CitySelect and Topo. I find Topo very useful while hiking/caching in backwoods/mountainous areas.