Travel Bug Admin / Reviewer

5¢

I think I am about the only person in my area who really cares about travel bugs. What I mean by that is, I am always looking in the caches around me to see if they have bugs. I have a PQ set up that shows the closest 500 caches with travel bugs. My issue comes when I see caches that I know don't have the bugs that show in them. I have verified quite a few and notes on the cache page elude to the fact they are missing also.

My point to all this is, it would be nice if certain people in areas had the power to mark the bug missing if the bug owner and cache owner won't take the time to do it. I have emailed on cacher many times about there cache page showing a bug and they won't do anything about it. The same with the bug owner. I know this is a minor issue, but it is kind of rediculous that no one will make the site show correct data.

Gee, I could've written that post! I'm trying to keep an eye on the TBs in this area to keep them moving, running PQs, keeping a spreadsheet, etc. And if I visit a cache where bugs or coins are missing, I post a log on the cache page and e-mail the owner of the bug or coin. It doesn't do any good, though; the bugs or coins are still listed on the cache page.

I'm not into TB's or running down to confirm what's in or not in any one of my caches. Maintaining my own caches when there is a problem is enough for me, and I'm not as good at that as I should be.

With that in mind, if someone actually wants the job I'd be for letting them have it. Is it something that the entire community should be able to do or a select few? Like the ones with 100+ TB finds?

If you tried to get the cacher and tb owner to move it and they haven't write a list of urls or TBnumbers and email to your area's cache reviewer. They can move the TBs to location unknown -_- (you also do the same by emailing the website contact address but that tends to take a little longer.) In any case it gets the all the misplaced icons back in order for a while.

We've got a number of caches around here that show having trouble bugs in them, and in many cases that would be pretty tough to do being that they are micros to small to house a tb. I hate seeing tb's sit, but have gotten rather frustrated with going to "rescue" one, onlhy to find it's not there, that someone was just trying to put miles on...

We've got a number of caches around here that show having trouble bugs in them, and in many cases that would be pretty tough to do being that they are micros to small to house a tb. I hate seeing tb's sit, but have gotten rather frustrated with going to "rescue" one, onlhy to find it's not there, that someone was just trying to put miles on...

When someone is just trying to put miles on, whether it's a personal TB or someone else's, my experience is that they're pretty good about dipping it in and pulling it out immediately. They are, after all, kind of goal oriented here, and they'll need it in their inventory for the next mileage drop.

If you're seeing more of this lately, it may be due to some of the site/logging slowdowns.

Now TB's missing in perpetuity...that's different.

If you tried to get the cacher and tb owner to move it and they haven't write a list of urls or TBnumbers and email to your area's cache reviewer. They can move the TBs to location unknown -_-

Yep. Happy to help.

On days when I'm really, really bored, I will sometimes spend a few hours moving Jeep Travel Bugs off of cache pages. It's one way to stay awake during the conference call for "First Quarter Review of Risk Management Policy Implementation."

As a newbie at this sport/game I enjoy the concept of the travel bug. I think that one of the problems with tbs, are that it is a little confusing to the new guy/girl to pick-up them a put them in their personal inventory. It is my understanding that you need to go to the grey box right hand side and click on the tb that you just picked up. Second you need to log that you currently have the bug in your possession. It sounds so easy when put into two sentences, but I think that it get missed alot of the time and not on purpose. Here is a solution that I would like comments on. Maybe it has already been brought up and beat down but here it goes.....

When a cache has a tb in it or there is suppose to be a tb in the cache. Why is there no drop down menu for the tb on the cache log page? This I feel would remind the logger/last visitor to pick of the tb at the same time and if a logger/last vistor does select a tb from the cache inventory he/she would be given the opportunity to fill out the log at the same time. So, do you think this would reduce confussion and help control lost tb or is my explantion of my idea unclear or is it just a terrible solution?

Just an idea....

Thanks

Wingnut16

Edited by wingnut16

We have a related problem happening in our area. Someone is purposely removing the metal tracking tags from travel bugs. At this point, there is no one cache singled out, no one persons bugs - very random.

I had dropped 5 bugs into a bug hotel and after 6 weeks when they had not moved, I went to swap them out so I could put them into a different cache. I found 2 of the 5 were now missing the metal tags. As I have the tracking number, I was able to log the bugs out of the cache and I then contacted the owners. It is now 2 months later - the owners have yet to return my repeated emails. I decided to just release the bugs with the tracking number and a note saying the tag had been removed.

However, I also have a double problem - a bug owner not replying for a bug that we picked up minus the tag but we never had the bug so I do not have the tracking number. The cache owner has been inactive in our area plus. If I could get that bug at least marked to missing or if I could get the tracking number, I could log it out and move it along to another cache. I know what I have is the bug because we found a baggie, the travel bug goal sheet and the item described as the bug. If I can provide the GC for the cache and the number for the TB I have, can I get help with that?

Yes, I do like moving travel bugs and helping with travel repairs!

AuntieNae

Hmmmmm, have you thought of asking me? I have that power to mark them missing, IF they are truly missing. I did it with a long list the other day. Short lists are preferrable. -_-

First I have to check each bug page and read the logs on the cache page to see if I can track them back to where they went missing and to verify that someone has noted on the cache page that the bug is indeed missing. I have to check how acitve the owner is, and if someone has contacted them first. I do not mark them missing just because someone tells me they are. So please, don't send me lists hundreds of missing bugs. The first step is to contact the cache owner, or the TB owner, to ask them to mark it missing. If they haven't been active in a long time, they should be put on the list. I'll be happy to help as time allows. That's what we're here for.

Auntie Nae, regarding TB's with missing tags and inactive owners, we mark them missing and get the RAID. If the owner doesn't care anymore, it's a dead bug. If the owner is active and they still care, they may wish to send the copy tag along to be attached to the bug to send it on its way.

Hmmmmm, have you thought of asking me? I have that power to mark them missing, IF they are truly missing. I did it with a long list the other day. Short lists are preferrable. :ph34r:

I forgot about you Eartha. Sometimes the obvious answer is sitting there right before you and you don't see it. I will rereview my area and see what I can come up with.

Hmmmmm, have you thought of asking me? I have that power to mark them missing, IF they are truly missing. I did it with a long list the other day. Short lists are preferrable. :unsure:

I forgot about you Eartha. Sometimes the obvious answer is sitting there right before you and you don't see it. I will rereview my area and see what I can come up with.

That's ok. *sniff* :blink: Blame it on those busy coin forums! I'm still watching in here, it's just that these travel bug forums are so civil, so nice to be in. :unsure: Anytime you run across a missing bug with an unresponsive owner, let me know. It's always nice to give the owner the option first, and not sneak up on them by marking it missing with no warning. The good thing is that once a bug is marked missing, it's easily retrieveable if it comes back.

Edited by Eartha