Problem With Gsak

swala

Have used GSAK without problems for over a year. Haven't used for a month or so and today when I try to send the waypoints to my GPS, I get an error message"error sending waypoints error sending 12 bytes 0 waypoints sent". I tried it again and it flashed "label 1" repeatedly and I couldn't even get it stop by cancelling. I had to unplug the unit to get it to stop. Anyone with similar problems (or hopefully a solution)? I have the day off tomorrow and want to take the dog caching.

Thanks

Have used GSAK without problems for over a year. Haven't used for a month or so and today when I try to send the waypoints to my GPS, I get an error message"error sending waypoints error sending 12 bytes 0 waypoints sent". I tried it again and it flashed "label 1" repeatedly and I couldn't even get it stop by cancelling. I had to unplug the unit to get it to stop. Anyone with similar problems (or hopefully a solution)? I have the day off tomorrow and want to take the dog caching.

Thanks

I have had similar problems and the fix was simple and may help here, however I am making an asumption you are using USB.

I have had to reload the drivers twice. If you have a Garmin, the USB drivers are right on the site. If you have a Magellan...well...things are always hard to find with them (sorry, couldn't resist).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the idea, but it didn't work either.I have seemingly tried everything. I've tried all the usb ports, even changed the settings for the GPS in GSAK, deleted and reloaded all the waypoints in GSAK, run the repair/defrag/remove for GSAK.

I am able to put the waypoints into cachemate on my palm using GSAK, and the same usb port that won't work with the 60 cs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my second day trying to fix this problem. It worked just fine a month ago.

Thanks

Not sure if this is the same issue or not but this is what happened with me and the new 60cx. Ihave used GSAK and Magellan for years with no issues. Once I got a new 60cx anytime I try to turn GSAK on with Garmin Gstart on GSAK goes haywire all kinds of error messagaes and eventaully have to reboot to satop. So now I turn off Garmain Gstart, do my filter in GSAK export a mapsource file close GSAK open Mapsorce imprt the file and all is well. I hope that helps.

Not sure if this is the same issue or not but this is what happened with me and the new 60cx. Ihave used GSAK and Magellan for years with no issues. Once I got a new 60cx anytime I try to turn GSAK on with Garmin Gstart on GSAK goes haywire all kinds of error messagaes and eventaully have to reboot to satop. So now I turn off Garmain Gstart, do my filter in GSAK export a mapsource file close GSAK open Mapsorce imprt the file and all is well. I hope that helps.

The problems described are with the cx and csx. I have used GSAK and the 60C and 60CS for almost a year now with only the previously stated problem. The computer I use is at work. Tommorow, I will check my settings and see if I can help get this worked out.

Edited by baloo&bd

Baloo and bd,

Thanks for your help-here is an update of what I have tried. My gps works fine on a friend's computer. When I connect it to my computer, it is listed as connected via usb, and it states the device is working properly. When I try to send with GSAK it gives me the error about "unable to send 12 bytes, 0 successfully sent. " I also tried to send with mapsource, and under device settings, when you click find device it says "some devices were found however none have the necessary capabilities." I have tried to download drivers, but it seems like its not connecting. I have tried it plugged into every usb port I have. I have tried other devices in those same usb ports and they work fine. In fact I downloaded the info from GSAK into my palm with no problems, I just can't send to the 60cs.

A couple of weeks ago I added a usb 2.0 card to my computer (my other usb ports are 1.1) this is the only thing I can think of that is new to mess things up, BUT the new ports work with other devices AND the old ports work with other devices, so it doesn't make sense (to me, anyway, I hope it does to someone out there) I truly am desperate, I've wasted my only 2 days to cache trying to get waypoints loaded.

Thanks for any advice

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers for the GPSr?

The only time I have gotten that message in GSAK was when I had my camera connected and then after unplugging it, I connected the GPSr. I think by logging off and logging back on, or rebooting the computer, everything figured itself out and I was able to send the waypoints.

I think I may have also had a problem if I was trying to HotSync the Palm (connected by one USB connector) and tried to send waypoints at the same time. :unsure:

Have you tried to use EasyGPS to transfer the waypoints?

First, check the Garmin FAQS on this issue.

Second, make sure you have the most up-to-date firmware installed. You will probably need to use your friends machine. The most current is GPSMAP 60CS Ver. 4.00 as of Jun 20, 2005 .

I don't think however this is the issue.

Make sure in the 60 CS, under SETUP > INTERFACE you have it set to GARMIN under the SERIAL DATA FORMAT.

Next, check to see if you have the most current drivers. You can do this from your card manufacturer, Microsoft or another good company that can do an online scan for this and other drivers is Touchstone Software Corporation. It's free. You can also do a search on USB 2.0 drivers in Google.. Do not use USB2 or something similar as these will give you false results. Garmin USB drivers can be had here. Remember to uninstall the old drivers and/or uninstall the hardware from the Device Manager. This last step is what did it for me.

Last, and I did it in order of degrees of "painfulness" is to remove the new card you said you put in and see if you can get it to work with the other USB ports. Depending on who the card is from, there is a possibility of a conflict or, of course, a defective card. Just because it works with other items doesn't necessarily men it is not the culprit. Also, try a different cable if you have one, however I assume you used the same one you did on your friends PC.

I hope this helps. You can also PM me and we can set up a time to maybe work thru this on the phone, however I think the above should take care of it.

Edited by baloo&bd

Baloo & bd,

Thanks so much for trying to help me as I am now near suicidal and reaching VERY far above my computer skills. I don't even know what a driver is.

I think I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but now in my device manager the garmin USB GPS has a yellow exclamation next to it and says "this device cannot start code 10. " The FAQ from Garmin say to use the add new hardware wizard, but it says it cannot find a better match. when I try to update the driver, I've tried it without a cd in,(I've also downloaded driver updates and mapsource update from the garmin site) I don't think I got a cd for the 60cs, but since I downloaded the drivers from the website it shouldn't matter.

I am willing to just take out the 2.0 usb card, but now I think I've created new problems, because now I am getting new error messages. Just to make sure I get it, I need to update the drivers for the GPS and also for the USB, and I should be able to get those from the Garmin website? Also, as far as uninstalling the drivers first, what I uninstalled was called garmin usb drivers. Hope that was the right one.

Thanks

Dowload the Garmin USB drivers from the link I sent you.

In device manager. Delete the Garmin USB with the symbol.

Run the Garmin USB file. See if it works. If not, then even though you should not have to, reboot.

That yellow triangle on the garmin USB is your problem.

One thing I try to keep in mind when working on a problem is to only make one change at a time.

In your case the first thing to to do is get rid of the "!" in the device manager.

Uninstall the old Garmin driver.

Download the new one to your Desktop (It's a .exe file).

Close all other programs.

Make sure your GPS is *NOT* connected.

Double click on the Driver file and follow the instructions.

When it finishes plug in your GPS and check the device manager and make sure it shows everything OK.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mtngoat50

OK I uninstalled the one with the yellow triangle. Downloaded the exe driver file and ran it and rebooted. Unfortunately it still has the yellow triangle, but now the message is "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39) "

I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks again to all who are trying to help me!!

I'm not sure what to say. I had a similiar problem loading the driver when I had the GPS plugged into the USB port but for me unplugging the GPS and loading the driver first solved the problem. Also I didn't have to reboot. I just ran the driver install program and when I plugged the GPS in it came up OK in the Device Manager. (I'm using a LegendC).

Does anything else show a problem in the Device Manager?

OK I uninstalled the one with the yellow triangle. Downloaded the exe driver file and ran it and rebooted. Unfortunately it still has the yellow triangle, but now the message is "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39) "

I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks again to all who are trying to help me!!

Try to load the garmin driver once more. Have the unit connected at the time.

If it does not work, unfortunatley I would have to say the new board you added is suspect.

Try to load the garmin driver once more. Have the unit connected at the time.

If it does not work, unfortunatley I would have to say the new board you added is suspect.

Did you have the GPS connected when you ran the driver install program? As I said, I had a similiar problem to what you described and solved it after I saw this in the manual.

g60csmanual1vo.jpg

You can try it with the GPS connected. But that didn't work for me.

I would agree that the new board is suspect but before you remove it I would try and get the drivers working.

Just in the past two weeks or so, someone posted a note in a discussion thread that their particular problem was not solved by downloading a new driver from Garmin's website but went on to say that as a result of phoning and talking to a Garmin rep they ended up emailing him a new driver that solved his problem. I'm sorry I cannot remember or find that thread but I would recommend giving Garmin a call and see if they can't help you out.

Good luck, Olar