Coord Upload/interface For Garmins?

I hate paper...I want to get set up for paperless caching, but I have some problems. The scenario is as follows: I have an Etrex yellow and a Geko 201. I have the interface cable (serial), but no serial port on my OSX Mac or Windows XP laptop. I have National Geographic TOPO! Backroads explorer and like to do mapping with it. I want to hook up for real time positioning on the laptop (through TOPO), upload cache coords from GPX or LOC files (what the heck is the difference again?!?) from cache pages and queries, and be able to toss out cache printouts in favor of just asking for the nearest waypoints while to and from places.

What do I need to do to get set up to do all of this? I've looked at all the USB-->serial converters, but I read things here and there about not working with certain operating systems or across Mac/PC lines. I also have no idea what to do with GPX or LOC files once I have them downloaded and how to upload them to my GPSrs... I'm not that good at following user manuals (obviously) and have misplaced them. So, I'm stuck. I waste a good portion of beautiful days printing cache pages, manually entering coords and getting plans made.

Any advice?

(and PS to this rant: I've already searched and read the postings here on the forums and on Groundspeak, so please be gentle and help me out!)

I second the nomination for GSAK to use on your PC.

The difference between the .gpx files and the .loc files is that the .gpx files are available to Premium Members and they contain all the information about the cache, including the description, the hint, and the past four logs.

If you use GSAK and continue loading new Pocket Queries, you will get more and more Past Logs for individual caches.

I have a Palm M500. GSAK Exports in the correct format for my Palm, on which I have installed Cachemate. It only costs $8.00 to register that program and it has worked flawlessly for over a year now.

Here is a little rudimentary GSAK tutorial. -_-

I second the nomination for GSAK to use on your PC.

The difference between the .gpx files and the .loc files is that the .gpx files are available to Premium Members and they contain all the information about the cache, including the description, the hint, and the past four logs.

If you use GSAK and continue loading new Pocket Queries, you will get more and more Past Logs for individual caches.

I have a Palm M500. GSAK Exports in the correct format for my Palm, on which I have installed Cachemate. It only costs $8.00 to register that program and it has worked flawlessly for over a year now.

Here is a little rudimentary GSAK tutorial. :(

Thamks for th link to Chachemate! I've been looking for a way to go paperless for a wile now. :ph34r:

I use a USBtoSerial converter to connect my Geko201 to my Windows XP laptop. Works reasonably well. The only problem I have is that every time I plug it into the laptop, the converter doesn't show up as the same Com port. It may be Com1 today, Com 4 tomorrow, and Com 3 next week. I have no experience with Macs, unfortunately.

I also use GSAK to keep track of my cache database. It is a wonderful tool.

If you're going to be switching between realtime mapping and coordinate uploading, you will need to know how to switch your GPSr between NMEA output and Garmin communication mode.

In NMEA mode, the GPSr will send out a string of data, once per second, containing your location information. Your mapping software uses this to show your location in real time.

Garmin mode is for uploading or downloading waypoint, track, or route data.

on the Geko, turn the unit on and hit the page button 4 times to get to the MENU screen.

scroll down to SETUP and hit OK

Then scroll to INTERFACE and hit OK

By default you will be in Garmin mode.

To switch to NMEA, hit OK again and it will show a menu of several I/O formats

Scroll to NMEA and hit OK

Your screen will now say:

I/O FORMAT

NMEA

BAUD

You can't change the 4800 in the Geko. Just make sure your mapping software is set to receive at 4800 baud. After this, keep hitting the Page button to back out of the menu screens to whatever screen you want to see next.

When its time to load waypoints into the Geko, go through the same menu chain again, but select Garmin mode.

Thanks for the very detailed info on the PC use. I'm still in a tough spot as MY computer is the Mac G4 OSX desktop, and the better half has the Gateway XP-equipped laptop. So at least I know how to do the mapping on that computer and realtime...but I'm still lost on what is available for Mac users to upload and download. My computer is far faster than the laptop and can multitask like a champ, but the laptop is a little haggard.

The issue becomes, then, how do I use a USB converter for both PC and Mac? Is it possible, or am I destined to use a PC (blech!) for all of my caching? :ph34r:

Any Mac OSX users out there? Help!

If u buy the 3D software for NG topo it will upgrade all NG to be able to use usb cable i think for most units

i could not get NG Utah to work with my 60cs and got the 3d it acts as upgrade its only 20 bucks

kinda pissed me off that had buy something that would alow usb when its the standard now

this is on my pc

have yet to find gpsr or at least one i had that was mac compat

So, from what I understand, short of getting an intel-equipped Mac computer, I cannot do much of anything with my Garmin equipment on my G4.

So my question is this: I should have NO problems using the PC laptop and a serial to USB adapter to upload/download/TOPO realtime map, right?

Thanks for help.

-NS