"exceeded Proximity Memory"?

I loaded a couple dozen waypoints to my 60cx using MapSource and the unit gave me the above message?? There were no waypoints in the unit beforehand. Proximity was set to 0.01 mile for all. Now, when I zoom into the waypoints in map view, only about half are showing the little circles around the points.

Sure is a pitiful limit if that is the case!!!!

I'm pretty sure you can only have 10 user set proximity points in the 60C/X series. A workaround would be to create a large file of waypoints as custom POIs and load them this way. There you can assign the entire file a proximity. Problem is they will be POIs with all those issues.

I'm pretty sure you can only have 10 user set proximity points in the 60C/X series. A workaround would be to create a large file of waypoints as custom POIs and load them this way. There you can assign the entire file a proximity. Problem is they will be POIs with all those issues.

Has anyone figured out how to apply a proximity to a POI? I mean before they are loaded. i.e. in the file loaded by POILoader.

I can see no way to do a mass change of POI proximity settings. When a POI is on the screen and I select Menu/Proximity Settings, I get a screen showing 10 Waypoints with the 0.01 mile setting.

I think I'm starting to understand a little about how the Garmin units work with their internal memory. For them to successfully and fully implement the idea of the SD cards, I think they may have to change their entire mindset. In other words, something like take Waypoints, POI, Routes, and Tracks entirely out of internal memory and let the user load them, as working sets, from the SD card as needed. Or, just work entirely from the SD card and leave active Map Segments in internal memory if they need to protect their proprietary maps. Looks to me like Garmin has a total mess on their hands.

Has anyone figured out how to apply a proximity to a POI? I mean before they are loaded. i.e. in the file loaded by POILoader.

Well, I haven't tested this in the field by driving by one, but I will tomorrow on my way to work. When you have your "X" connected to the PC and power it on, the POI Loader opens (as you know). Once you point to the folder where your POIs are, you will see the "What units should be used for ditance and speed?". I have mine set to Feet and MPH. Then, below that box you have a choice for Manual, or Express. Choose Manual. You will then check the box that says "This file contains proximity alert points". I did not pick the Speed option, but entered 500 feet in the "Alert at this distance". I'm thinking this will now give a tone prompt when I get within the 500 feet I set. It is not quite the same as seeing a proximity circle but it will set all the designated POI waypoints to a proximity distance. Again, I say this but have not tested it in the field. A drawback to have your POIs this way is your comment field can not have any of your hints, etc. It puts in two items. One line reads: Alarm Range: 499ft (in my case when I specified 500 feet), and Alarm Speed: Unknown (in my case because I didn't assign a speed).

I'm confused...why do I need the POI loader (that pops up automatically when I plug in my csx) when I have the mapsource software? Dont both allow the uploading of POI's...now that I think of it, maybe mapsource doesn't do this...??

I need a good FAQ on the way memory is used in the gps....the use of POI's and waypoints and loading maps and proximity alarms.

Well, I haven't tested this in the field by driving by one, but I will tomorrow on my way to work. When you have your "X" connected to the PC and power it on, the POI Loader opens (as you know). Once you point to the folder where your POIs are, you will see the "What units should be used for ditance and speed?". I have mine set to Feet and MPH. Then, below that box you have a choice for Manual, or Express. Choose Manual. You will then check the box that says "This file contains proximity alert points". I did not pick the Speed option, but entered 500 feet in the "Alert at this distance". I'm thinking this will now give a tone prompt when I get within the 500 feet I set. It is not quite the same as seeing a proximity circle but it will set all the designated POI waypoints to a proximity distance. Again, I say this but have not tested it in the field. A drawback to have your POIs this way is your comment field can not have any of your hints, etc. It puts in two items. One line reads: Alarm Range: 499ft (in my case when I specified 500 feet), and Alarm Speed: Unknown (in my case because I didn't assign a speed).