Visiting Statue Of Liberty And Ellis Island Area

endlessmtnlady

Problem – There are boats going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from two locations. One boat is from Jersey, the other from Battery Park on the New York City side. Since you say you are going to Battery Park, the caches that Perfect Tommy and Briansnat mention are not in walking distance.

Problem – There are boats going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from two locations. One boat is from Jersey, the other from Battery Park on the New York City side. Since you say you are going to Battery Park, the caches that Perfect Tommy and Briansnat mention are not in walking distance.

Actually they are from Ellis Island. There is a pedestrian bridge from Ellis Island to the Jersey shore (or at least there was at one time)l.

If memory serves me correctly, the ferry service originates from Battery Park, New York City or from Liberty State Park, Jersey City --- both going to the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. If you are going via NYC, you would have to take one to the island then another to New Jersey --- this is doable but takes more time.

We visited Lady Liberty in October 04. I had a travel bug who wanted to visit, and I hadn't been there in twenty years! Arnold Zeffel at the Statue of Liberty Security to get on the ferry is worse than airport security. Most people were getting frisked. We had to stay on the island an extra hour because of security concerns at Liberty State Park (unattended package). They let a limited number of people into the base of the statue. No one is allowed up into the statue anymore. (Hmm... When my father was a kid, they let him climb the ladder up into the torch! But that was almost a century ago.)

She's a great lady, and well worth the visit.