Transatlantic Tb Exchange

Just had this email, via geocaching.com

I'm looking for someone in Britian to trade travelbugs and geocoins with, sort of a transatlantic exchange to get the bugs moving. Would you be interested in such an exchange?

Looking at the persons profile, he's a relatively new cacher in the States, with few finds and even fewer TBs.

Seems a strange request and I'm wondering if I was the only one or if he has mailed several (spam?) UK cachers with the same request.

Or is postal TB travel an accepted way of doing things (I wouldn't have thought so - doesn't seem quite in the "spirit" of things.

Comments ??

Or is postal TB travel an accepted way of doing things (I wouldn't have thought so - doesn't seem quite in the "spirit" of things.

Comments ??

Not had an email but as you say It's not what TB's are supposed to do!

I would be annoyed if I thought someone was mailing one of my TB's or coins.

Then again I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with the same old mantra....

"everyone plays the game their own way" :ph34r::ph34r:

Then again if it was a cacher with a brand new coin of his own and was asking if he could send the coin to you for you to START it's journey over here then that would be a different proposition.

Cheers

Dave

I have had exactly the same mail. I too feel that it would be annoying if people started posting TBs without permission (unless Mandy owns them :ph34r: ), so I will pass on the offer.

Edit to add:

As far as playing the game your own way, I believe in that approach, but not when you are adversly affecting someone elses game. I would hope that if someone does this, that they check with the TB owner first.

Edited by The Royles

Hi Nick

I don't like that - I'd ignore it... chances are if he's relaively new he prob doesn't realise it's not TB Etiquette etc, and is just looking to get some mileage onto his bugs!

Hazel

As far as I can see, at the moment, he doesn't have any TBs of his own !!

Hi Nick

I don't like that - I'd ignore it... chances are if he's relaively new he prob doesn't realise it's not TB Etiquette etc, and is just looking to get some mileage onto his bugs!

Hazel

Just playing Devil's Advocate here... here if a TB has a mission to get to the UK from the states, or vice versa, is posting it to a fellow cacher not considered acceptable?

I'm sure I've read of coins and white jeeps being posted to cachers over here so they can bring us more icons!

No particular opinion, just curious!

Dave

I had the same email, and this was the exchange:

Hi Geneticus, thanks for the email

It seems my TB which got to the USA has vanished, so I'm not sure I want to send any more there, lol! Thanks for the offer though and good luck with your swapping project - it sounds a good idea.

SP

His reply:

SP,

They wouldn't have to be your travel bugs - just any travel bugs you could collect around your area and put in a box. They'd be immediately deposited here in Madison, Wisconsin to travel around the states for a while. Similarly, I've collected a bunch of travel bugs from here that would be quite happy to travel around Europe.

I recently visited Italy, and dropped off 10 travel bugs while I was there - and all of the travel-bug owners that I heard from were very exicted that their bugs got across the big pond for some good traveling.

Anyhow, consider the idea, I'd just like to get some travel bugs from my area moving - would you consider a small exchange, say 4 travel bugs and a geocoin each, or are you deadset against the idea?

Dominic

I'm not keen on spam, and would have written back to suggest he brings his suggestion to the UK forum, but now this thread is here...

i got a white and yellow jeep posted here to me, in return i sent a geocoin to start its travels (owned by me) and in the process made a very good friend whom i have bought geocoins and sent to and also sent my own activated coins to for him to release over there. Granted i have always owned what i send so its up to me........ playing the game the way you want to........

I went to america in january and took 15 tb's and coins over there all of which i asked the owners did they want there tb's to go to america as i wouldnt have just taken them.

Suppose you do what you feel you want to..........

I think, in general, that posting OTHER peoples bugs is a dodgy area, but you could always ask them how they felt about it before you did so. However, there are several bugs which seem to have been circling and re-circling my area forever, and any attempts to send them elsewhere (take them to a cache far away) seem to fail as they come back in two hops (often via an event cache). I think I would try all sorts of cunning devices to help them break free of the gravitational pull of Bucks and send them on their way. The owners must be so bored when they pop into the same local cache for the 4th or 5th time... zzzzzz