Is There An Actual Signal The Frog?

frotu33

There are conflicting theories on the origin of Signal.

The official story can be found here. If you go to the Groundspeak Shop (which I just found out is closed for a few days) you can buy a few signal items including a stuffed version. You can also get some nice Signal gear at the Signal Store.

I personally choose to belive this version of Signals history.

Edited by Team Misguided

I personally choose to belive this version of Signals history.

Funny story!

So, if I picked up a TB with the mission of meeting Signal the Frog, there's no physical Signal to be met?

Thanks for the help!

frotu33

Did you pick up such a travel bug? I noticed in your profile it doesn't show as being listed...

Funny story!

So, if I picked up a TB with the mission of meeting Signal the Frog, there's no physical Signal to be met?

Thanks for the help!

frotu33

I would take that to mean the TB would like to make it out to Seattle to meet the Groundspeak crew.

Does the Groundspeak crew meet TBs? Will their bodyguards allow it?

frotu33

Funny story!

Thanks for the help!

frotu33

I would take that to mean the TB would like to make it out to Seattle to meet the Groundspeak crew.

Does the Groundspeak crew meet TBs? Will their bodyguards allow it?

frotu33

Occasionally someone gets to meet the Groundspeak crew. There are certain offerings that must be presented and certain protocols that must be followed. Those that survive walk away changed forever.

Did you pick up such a travel bug? I noticed in your profile it doesn't show as being listed...

His name is "Beacon" - he should show up wherever you're looking. ???

frotu33

OK I see him now. Last time I looked, your profile looked somewhat different.

I once seen Signal's stat bar. He hasn't found or hidden a single cache!

Wait! He does have a cache at HQ.

A Signal cache at HQ? Where is that?

I could not find any stats for Signal. There is a user "signalthefrog", but he/she lives in Oregon and has found MANY caches.

frotu33

Signal's "Mom" is at Groundspeak HQ and we have a bunch of the plush toys in the office, but that's about it.

We only allow visits by invitation only due to the reasons ibycus pointed out. We have considered having open houses instead in the future but we'll see.

Signal's "Mom" is at Groundspeak HQ and we have a bunch of the plush toys in the office, but that's about it.

We only allow visits by invitation only due to the reasons ibycus pointed out. We have considered having open houses instead in the future but we'll see.

Maybe an off-worksite "event" to meet & greet? More nuetral grounds, less stalking... Not that I could get there, but... Well, maybe if you sent your corporate jet.

Edited by New England n00b

The true Signal story is rather sad. There really is a very cute frog named Signal, and it is a she; she normally lives near gc.com HQ. However, a certain reviewer from Western PA, who shall remain unnamed, met her at a geocaching event on the west coast two years ago, and got her hooked on a chemical substance that we shall heretofore call "Chemical X". Said reviewer has, since that time, been her, ahem, supplier of that chemical substance. Signal is currently in a 24 hour detox-rehab facility, trying to wean herself off of Chemical X. Sad.

Is there an actual, physical incarnation of Signal the Frog (whether real, stuffed, drawn, etc.)? If so, how could I meet her?

frotu33

He lives next door to some guy that thinks he is a prince and just down the street from Kermit. :bad:

Hey. I think I resemble that remark.

The true Signal story is rather sad. There really is a very cute frog named Signal, and it is a she; she normally lives near gc.com HQ. However, a certain reviewer from Western PA, who shall remain unnamed, met her at a geocaching event on the west coast two years ago, and got her hooked on a chemical substance that we shall heretofore call "Chemical X". Said reviewer has, since that time, been her, ahem, supplier of that chemical substance. Signal is currently in a 24 hour detox-rehab facility, trying to wean herself off of Chemical X. Sad.

Well, like the famous song says, "God Dadgum the Pusher Man." :bad:

Professor.jpg

Well, like the famous song says, "God Dadgum the Pusher Man." :o

Professor.jpg

hef? is that you? :bad:

I am pretty sure I have found Signal.

I have added Signal as a waypoint called Ye Frog to this cache.

If you are in Saskatchewan you can go to the waypoint and see Signal. In addition to seeing Signal it is almost guaranteed that you will also have perfect Signal on your GPSr when you are there. Signal surprised me for sure.

You cannot actually walk up to Ye Frog, it is on private property, but you can see Ye Frog fine.

I am bumping this thread to report "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED." Beacon the travel bug met his cousin Signal the Frog at Groundspeak Headquarters last Friday. I was very happy to answer frotu33's request, and also to help out Beacon's owner, 2oldfarts (the rockhounders), well-known helpful forum posters. See Beacon's TB page here.

Left to right: Keystone, Beacon, Signal and Jeremy

b6d9e973-57d4-46e4-bae3-bbaf3d671ec8.jpg

What is very sick about all of this matter of grown men posturing with stuffed toy frogs is that they, and most of the geo community, are in massive denial (and no, Denial is not a river in Egypt!) about the truth about Signal the Frog, to which I have earlier alluded, albeit briefly. As my schedule permits over the next two days, I will attempt to find the time to tell you the truth about the poor dear abused female frog who is the real Signal the Frog. All I can say for now is that the real Signal the Frog is currently in a chemical dedendency detox/rehab facility in Ohio, and that she was rescued by PA state police from the home of a well-known geocaching reviewer in Western Pennsylvania; said reviewer had gotten poor Signal hooked on a chemical substance which we shall heretofore reference as "Chemical X". More details later as time permits, unless said reviewer deposits $500,000 in my offshore bank account, which is numbered 5Gh67J796114295452984762 at Grand Cayman National Bank, routing number 4HB49221, Grand Cayman Island.

What is very sick about all of this matter of grown men posturing with stuffed toy frogs is that they, and most of the geo community, are in massive denial (and no, Denial is not a river in Egypt!) about the truth about Signal the Frog, to which I have earlier alluded, albeit briefly. As my schedule permits over the next two days, I will attempt to find the time to tell you the truth about the poor dear abused female frog who is the real Signal the Frog. All I can say for now is that the real Signal the Frog is currently in a chemical dedendency detox/rehab facility in Ohio, and that she was rescued by PA state police from the home of a well-known geocaching reviewer in Western Pennsylvania; said reviewer had gotten poor Signal hooked on a chemical substance which we shall heretofore reference as "Chemical X". More details later as time permits, unless said reviewer deposits $500,000 in my offshore bank account, which is numbered 5Gh67J796114295452984762 at Grand Cayman National Bank, routing number 4HB49221, Grand Cayman Island.

NEXT! When Behind The Music returns...

This has got to be the nerdiest group alive.

Yep...and many of us love each and every one of them...so there! :)

Well, I know from personal experience that there is a Signal. I spent some time at Groundspeak, cuddling with him on the lovesack! And now, I can truly put to rest the whole mystery. Yes, Signal is a guy.

^_^:):lol:

:)

You're quite welcome. Had it not been for this forum thread, I doubt that Beacon would've gotten the attention of anyone visiting Groundspeak's offices, as I did last week.

BTW Beacon is 2,000 miles closer to his next goal, Venice. I will drop him in a cache here in Pittsburgh this weekend, schedule permitting. He is sitting on my desk staring at me as I type this.