The Obsessed Geocoin Collection

The Obsessed

OB_Coin.jpg Four of the most obsessed geocachers in the world have joined forces to create the ultimate geo-coin series.

These Obsessed with Geocaching coins are personalized from each cacher and share a common reverse side. These coins are all loggable on geocaching.com with the OBsessive prefix and also share a common unique icon (#s). These limited edition coins are truely from The Obsessed for the obsessed. Only 30 sets of the "gold" edition are being offered for sale.

No offience but that is a CRAZY price I will add up the cost at the most expencive site to see how much they cost to make.

No need. Everybody knows the ballpark numbers.

If this were April 1st still I'd write it off as a joke, but it doesn't look that way.

I'm actually surprised that the leading cachers haven't come out with coins before this, but they fall into the same category for me as other personal coins. I don't understand the selling of them.

That aside - $20 bucks each?? C'mon.

The MOST expensive site that I know of will only charge 8 dollars a coin so a profit of 12 dollars a coin, 48 dollars a set is a little much, don't you think.

and that is with dies charges for 2 sides...in this case, there are only going to be dies charges for 5 out of 8 sides...and yet they're charging more...go figure

j

Well, with one being born every minute - I'd say the odds are in thier favor!

All kidding aside, I've love to hear from the group themselves on why they are asking so much.

Of course, the answer may be "because they can" - and my guess is that they will get 30 people (sigh).

Although more than the "normal" coin I've seen posted here. I know I've paid $10.00 and up for regular issue coins right here on the forums. Coins that were minted in much higher numbers than these coins.

I've also seen new coins go for considerably more than that on Ebay.

My feeling is that if you want them, get it. If you don't want them... Get over it.

...My feeling is that if you want them, get it. If you don't want them... Get over it.

Speaking your mind is what the forums are about. Glad to see you have the knack.

Thank you and yea, I guess I don't have a problem speaking my mind. I just get a little tired of the things that get whipped up and the negativity that gets generated sometimes. It's like a shark feeding frenzy.

Although more than the "normal" coin I've seen posted here. I know I've paid $10.00 and up for regular issue coins right here on the forums. Coins that were minted in much higher numbers than these coins.

My feeling is that if you want them, get it. If you don't want them... Get over it.

Personally, I don't think e-Bay should be a reference for the price of a new coin just coming out for sale. If a person is willing to pay that price on e-Bay once they are sold out, and you can't find them otherwise, that's different.

Just my opinion.... ;)

Personally, I don't think e-Bay should be a reference for the price of a new coin just coming out for sale. If a person is willing to pay that price on e-Bay once they are sold out, and you can't find them otherwise, that's different.

Just my opinion.... ;)

That's true, however a lot of what you see on Ebay aren't sold out coins. On the contrary there are coins in the "preorder" stages being sold on there now. One currently at over $20.00. That's over $20.00 for a coin that has yet to be minted and is being sold by someone who has obviously less caches found than these cachers.

I enjoy getting Geocoins from people I know and have met. I enjoy getting Geocoins from people who have been around and I've heard of.

Again... What ever. :blink:

Yes, these coins are for real.

Sorry about the sock puppet account for the sales page. ;)

It was the best way we could figure out how to sell the sets.

Feel free to email the account for any questions or concerns.

Once again....sorry about the sock puppet account.

The sock puppet didn't bother me, since it was tacky, no hint of sneakiness. :blink:

You're the only one of the four I haven't met yet. If appropriate, a little story on how this idea came about would be fun to hear. At least, there's no doubt about Geocaching identity and misrepresentation. :mad:

A big NO THANKS........when you get back down to reality and offer these at a reasonable price, I MIGHT consider it. No way am I paying $20 per coin + $5 shipping............sorry

LoL I 2nd I would not pay 10 maybe 6-8 with 2.00 s/h dont look that neat a little sloppy and real busy. Good luck.

;)

Before you pooh pooh there is little more information needed here. According to the blurb there are 30 sets of LE gold. Is there another metal coming?

If not then these are worth the money. They would have had to pay for 1000 numbers and the icon to get the OB prefix. Then if the offer is that only fifty sets being made ie 200 total numbers then they have automatically created a LE that should get sold out very quickly.

However without knowing what happens to the other 800 numbers we can not make an informed decision.

I consider these guys to be our friends so Joani and I had to buy them. I hear that all of the profits from these coins are going towards gas money. Plus, if you consider the number of caches found, $80 / 37,000 only comes out to around 2/10ths of one penny per cache! :blink:

So, can I get local delivery and get a refund on the $5 shipping. ;)

--Marky

Before you pooh pooh there is little more information needed here. According to the blurb there are 30 sets of LE gold. Is there another metal coming?

If not then these are worth the money. They would have had to pay for 1000 numbers and the icon to get the OB prefix. Then if the offer is that only fifty sets being made ie 200 total numbers then they have automatically created a LE that should get sold out very quickly.

However without knowing what happens to the other 800 numbers we can not make an informed decision.

So by that logic if I buy 1,000 codes but only make 10 coins I can sell them for $200 each and they would be "worth it"? ;)

I consider these guys to be our friends so Joani and I had to buy them. I hear that all of the profits from these coins are going towards gas money. Plus, if you consider the number of caches found, $80 / 37,000 only comes out to around 2/10ths of one penny per cache! :blink:

So, can I get local delivery and get a refund on the $5 shipping. ;)

--Marky

I guess I can drive up there and deliver them :mad: ... I'm gonna have to come up and meet budd-rdc anyways. ;)

He wants to hear a story... and I have tons of stories. :P

I'll bring the Adventures in Geocaching movie with me. :)

It's great!.... and I have one of the only copies! :D

Perhaps you can drive around with me and point out a hundred or so lampost hides :P

So by that logic if I buy 1,000 codes but only make 10 coins I can sell them for $200 each and they would be "worth it"

Depends on your value. If you spend $1650 on numbers and only have 200 coins. Then of that you only have 1 chance in 50 of owning a particular team coin you would have to work out the worth to you. The cost to produce coin is not $6 bit more like $15. People pay different money for coins and your worth and my worth may not exactly match.

So why apply straight logic to the equation. If you continue to do that then these forums aren't the place for you.

If the $200 coin filled my value bucket I would buy.

I would still want to know if there was a non LE edition. If there was that would be where I would more than likely put my money.

So by that logic if I buy 1,000 codes but only make 10 coins I can sell them for $200 each and they would be "worth it"? :ph34r:

Actually, you can sell coins for what ever you want and if I, or anyone else, think that the coin is "worth" it... Fine, all parties are happy. However, you'll always have someone (someone who isn't buying) grumble about some aspect of the transaction. The complaining will increase if they think someone is making a profit that they feel is unreasonable.

I feel they are asking too much for these coins. However, I bet they will be able to sell them all easily. Since this is such a limited run, they should not have an issue in selling them. As far as people complaining about the profit, I dont get it. They are making less than if they sold 1000 coins at $8 a piece plus shipping.

The cost to produce coin is not $6 bit more like $15. People pay different money for coins and your worth and my worth may not exactly match.

So why apply straight logic to the equation. If you continue to do that then these forums aren't the place for you.

We'll have to disagree on the "worth" of these coins. No coin cost $15 to make.

I like the forums just fine and have seemed to survive for the past couple of years, thanks.

But you said a mouthful here that's for sure:

"So why apply straight logic to the equation. If you continue to do that then these forums aren't the place for you."

Logic may have no place here - I'll give you that. :ph34r:

Back on topic - I'm sure these will sell. There will be enough people that have to have everything.

I feel they are asking too much for these coins. However, I bet they will be able to sell them all easily. Since this is such a limited run, they should not have an issue in selling them. As far as people complaining about the profit, I dont get it. They are making less than if they sold 1000 coins at $8 a piece plus shipping.

People will complain that the price is too high and people will complain when someone buys something that "they" feel was too much. I guess it boils down to..... people love to complain. :ph34r:

I cache often with 2 of 4 of the Obsessed Ones, Ventura Kids and EMC of Northridge. They are both truly obsessed with caching and most of my better days caching have been with them. I look forward to seeing their coins in person.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting three of the four. However, I have cached with Team Alamo and can say without a doubt... He is obsessed.

It's easy to see how their stats are so superior to most others when you see the amount of prep work they go through prior to starting a caching day. No question that my best days have been when I have cached with him.

I look forward to seeing their coins in person.

<spameless plug>

Hopefully The Obsessed will come to GeoWoodstock and bring their coins so I can see them too!

</spamless plug>

I have more hides than any of these folks. I guess the 9key Mark II geocoin should note this fact? :ph34r:

"Obsessed with Hiding Tupperware Since March 2002"

"If I Can't Find It, I'll Hide Another Nearby"

"etc"

Edited by 9Key

I added the 1,000 numbers and icon to the cost of 200 coins.

But this is the wrong way! :ph34r:

There is no doubt that the four different geocoins look all very beautiful, :lol:

but this is no reason for this exorbitant price...I hope nobody buy these coins for this price! :ph34r:

You can take the tracking numbers, you have left over, aside for later coin projects. :ph34r:

Edited by HerrK & Lassie

I hear that all of the profits from these coins are going towards gas money. Plus, if you consider the number of caches found, $80 / 37,000 only comes out to around 2/10ths of one penny per cache!

Now Available :: My LE personal wooden nickel for $5.00 each so I can buy gas.

Its a deal if you consider $5. / 200 only comes out to .025 per cache!

naaaaa, I'm just messing around. Good luck getting your gas money, could be worse >>>>>>

panhandler.jpg

While I'd certainly never contest anyone's right to skin a few bucks off there fellow cachers (a fool and his money...), I can't say there is anything about this coin that would motivate me to spend that kind of money. What's special about it other than that it's meant to subsidize the gas expenditures of some high number cachers?

BTW, you folks probably would have easily sold 75 sets for ten bucks a coin (and made roughly the same amount of money) wthout rousing this level of animosity among the high Post/Find ratio crowd. As they say in the Market - Bears make money, Bulls make money, Pigs get eaten.

I think I'll pass.

Whoa, no freaking way!

The only coin that I really like is by ventura_kids - but I wouldn't pay $20 for that one, maybe $10.

Why are four coins "worth" $80? Because they're by people who have high cache finds?

What am I missing here?

Edited by nicolo