How Important Is Having A 2nd Gpsr With You?

When you head out in the woods, do you take more that one GPSr with you in case it should melt down or the unit just can't get good reception?

I have a Merigold, which despite the ridicule of certain Garminites, has been a very servicable and durable unit. I have seriously thought about getting either a Legend C , Cx or Lowrance H20 C Plus as a second unit.

I have even entertained the thought, that it this new unit outperforms my trusty Merigold in the field, I would use the Merigold exclusively for the auto-routing capabilities and use it to get my to the parking area, and then whip out the trusty "field unit" to zero in on the cache. This would prevent me from having to purchase the additional waypoint/map cd and make a big step up in technology with the color screen and sirfIII technology.

Am I insane?

spamhead

I have a Merigold, which despite the ridicule of certain Garminites

Ah those Garminites do not know what they are talking about ;)

I have had my Meridian gold for about 3 years. I used it to find my first 800 or 900 caches, :D It is a very good GPS. I still use it on my dash for autorouting to the area of the cache. Then I use my Explorist 500 to locate the cache :D . If you want a second GPS to locat the cache after you park, stick with a magellan, they all work about the same way as far as the button layout and functions :blink: .

There is not way I would use a Garmin GPS, I am to use to the file system in the Meridian gold, and the improved file system in my Explorist 500. Garmin does not have a GPS with a system for storing storing caches :mad: Just think, you can thousands of caches and other POIs in a Magellan ;) . YOu can even store lots of map sets in a Magellan :P

Garmin, no way not for me. Garmins are just toys :)

I started with a Garmin, I do not miss it a bit. :P

Am I insane?

No, you are just a little confused right now.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have a merigold. Serves me well. The only "addon" I bring are extra batteries. Always.

-Jeff.

most definitely extra batteries, I have xplorist 600 and have 2 sets of batteries fully charged at all times.

most of the time I use the unit in my car but occassianlly get the urge to go walk about through deep woods in the middle of no where.

batteries,batteries.

I usually head into the woods with my GPSr and extra batteries.

I initially wanted to get a basic GPSr for my 7-year old son who heads out to me. I had a Magellan 315, but gave it to my brother in hopes the Caching bug would hit him. It hasn't, as of this date.

I thought about getting a basic yellow etrex for him, partially because I thought it would be good to "diversify" to a Garmin, and partially because it looks like Thayles is focusing on Tom-Tomish GPSr's and abandoning the handheld market.

As I did research, I thought it would be nice to get a color screen and maybe upgrade to a sirf III unit.

I hunt with guy who has a Lowrance GPSr and the detail and brightness of the screen ins wonderful.

I think I am just trying to justify getting a different GPSr, and am scared of Magellan abandoniing the handheld market. They are no longer posting upgrades to the Merigold firmware. What unit is next?

JohhnyVegas, you had some input into my purchasing my Merigold unit, initially, when I posted a thread in early 2005. It has been a great unit.

Thanks.

Edited by spamhead
When you head out in the woods, do you take more that one GPSr with you in case it should melt down or the unit just can't get good reception?

When I'm going out into the local "wilderness", I always take my GPSMAP 60C and, the trusty old yellow etrex along with spare batteries for each and a compass. With the myriad of local waterways, marshes, and islands (not to mention a healthy alligator population), it doesn't pay to get confused about where you are. I also make sure that I mark the location of the truck with both GPSrs.

So far, I haven't had to spend the night out unplanned, and the gators haven't had a taste of me either. The mosquitoes, on the other hand.... ;)

You think Garminites are bad, I live where there are a majority of Magellanites. Not only do I have to take their guff, I have to find their caches all of which have bad coordinates because they don't use Garmins. :blink:

On topic:

Given a choice I'd take a buddy with the GPS of his choice over a second GPS. Extra batteries and a standard compass. Come to think of it there is a lot of survival gear that would make the list long before a second GPS. I don't think a second GPS is critical at all. IT's just one more thing to futz with. If you were to get one, I'd stick with Magellan since you are alreayd familiar with them and the new generation still does a good job.

You think Garminites are bad, I live where there are a majority of Magellanites. Not only do I have to take their guff, I have to find their caches all of which have bad coordinates because they don't use Garmins. :blink:

an eXplorist 100 will out preform an etrex anyday> ;)

You think Garminites are bad, I live where there are a majority of Magellanites. Not only do I have to take their guff, I have to find their caches all of which have bad coordinates because they don't use Garmins.

JohnnyVegas is just trying to talk me out of going over to the "Dark Side".

I thought about sticking with Magellan, but, like I said earlier, it looks like they are divesting from the handheld market. If I buy another unit , I want to have some support from the manufacturer. It sounds like contacting Thayles is impossible.

Edited by spamhead

You raise a good point. In this day and age of relying upon technology, we sometimes forget the essentials. If you're heading out into an unfamiliar area, in a situation that makes you wonder about taking multiple GPSRs, then you need to learn about maps and compasses, because I would not want to risk my survival upon a device that depends upon batteries, exposure to the sky, or the whims of an agency that may decide to limit my exposure to a satellite system.

Rule #1 about going into unfamilar terrain: Have a map of the area, a compass, and know how to use them.

GPS is a powerful tool, but it should be considered as a backup or, at most, an equal partner to other navigation techniques.

You raise a good point.

How much do I owe you for saying that?

In this day and age of relying upon technology, we sometimes forget the essentials. If you're heading out into an unfamiliar area, in a situation that makes you wonder about taking multiple GPSRs, then you need to learn about maps and compasses, because I would not want to risk my survival upon a device that depends upon batteries, exposure to the sky, or the whims of an agency that may decide to limit my exposure to a satellite system.

Rule #1 about going into unfamilar terrain: Have a map of the area, a compass, and know how to use them

I have been in the Northwoods and had that happen in familiar territory. It is VERY easy to get turned around.

like I said earlier, it looks like they are divesting from the handheld market

This is just not the case. This rumor about Magellan getting out of the handheld market is a bunch of BS started by some clown in another thread that does not know what he is talking about.

Magellan has never maintained a large selectiion of handheld units, the explorist units are replacing the older sport track series.

The Exlporist XL replaces the Meridian Color.

You should not confuse the old Meridian color screen and sport track with the new color screens in the Explorist and the Exlporst XL color screens, they have nothing in common.

As far as SIRF III, these chips are not used in any of the E-treks models. Magellan makes there own chips and magellan GPS units have a reputaion for holding a look better than the older Garmin units. if anything the SIRF III chipset will bring Garmin up to Magellans standers.

Generally

Average

Receivers

Missing

Important

Needs

I'll offer my two cents as a non-partisan, since I use both an old eTrex Summit and a Magellan GPS Companion, both 6 year old technologies. ;)

For me, having a 2nd GPSr is a nice insurance when hiding a cache. They increase my confidence with the coordinates I get. When hunting caches, this is not as important, although I still use both. The GPS Companion settles slower than the eTrex, but has saved me quite often in the forest.

This is just not the case. This rumor about Magellan getting out of the handheld market is a bunch of BS started by some clown in another thread that does not know what he is talking about.

...and I was stupid enought to believe it.

As far as SIRF III, these chips are not used in any of the E-treks models. Magellan makes there own chips and magellan GPS units have a reputaion for holding a look better than the older Garmin units.

I thought the new -x series Garmins did. I do know that the Magellans do suck onto the satellites signal like a woodtick.

Edited by spamhead

Well let's put it this way. Yes, it is very important to have an extra GPSr with you, but only if the first one is a Magellan. If the second unit is also a Magellan, a third unit might be justifiable as well. ;):blink::mad:

Put a shirt on...or at least pasties! ;)

A very cheap way, is to get a Garmin Foretrex GPS, that is worn on the wrist, and this GPS will do a decent job. Also a Geko 101, is very tiny, and can be put in a pocket in your backpack, incase your regular GPS stops working.

So much more important to bring a cellphone, when out in the woods, but if your deep in the forest, you would need a paper topo map, and a couple pictures of landmarks, or an aerial photo, to help you navigate, when the GPS dies.

In a pocket on your backpack:

*A Geko with lithium batteries(they last a long time)

*A paper TOPO Map

*Baseplate compass

*Aerial photos

*Photos of Landmarks for the trail, if available online

*AA Lithium Batteries, for when regular ones fail.

*Signal Mirror

*LED Flashlight.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I use my StreetPilot for navigation. When I need get a reading (store a waypoint) I use my handheld because it much easier to "mark" a location. Also, when I need to project a waypoint in this process, the handheld will do this.

So when I need to mark points, I'm using 2 gpsrs.

I'm a volunteer for The National Map Corps, so this is important to me.

I started 3 years ago with a GPS315. I bought a MeriPlat in February and use it as my main unit. When I'm placing a cache, I carry both units and take a couple of readings with each. ( I make my hides easy to find so the Garminites can find them too)

If I'm taking a friend along caching, I'll load the waypoints into both units and let the friend carry the 315.

The only reason I have 2 GPSrs is so I have one on the dash of the Jeep and another in my pocket. Clearly the one I take in the field with me gets better results! I have used both for hiding my caches, as to give good averages with different units. But really...there is no reason for a second. I like having a spare for a newbie if I introduce them to the game, but it ends up confusing me more. I bring a compass (w/ bezel for bearings) and my GPSr...and tons of extra batteries!

Oh...and they're both Garmin... don't hurt me!

Just one more addition to the very valid point about having a compass, maps, and the knowledge to orienteer with them...

Please don't forget an Altimeter. And please calibrate it before heading out.

If you're using topos, this is almost a requirement. Also great for keeping an eye on the weather, as it works as a barometer too when you know what you're looking at.

Of course, this is all kinda silly for grabbing urban micros. If I'm going out into the REAL woods, though, I'll carry two good compass' and a flat Silva in my first-aid kit. And at least one altimeter. You could feed my GPSr (a classic Garmin eMap - so take THAT, JV... As you well know - it gets me there... -_-) to your gators and I'll still happily find my way home.

Another thing to think about: At least one compass should be on your body if you have one or two on/in your pack. I've lost a pack in a crevasse 14,000ft up. Nice to whip out the surviving compass in that situation!

When I'm caching close to home, I just bring the one unit, plus a mpa and compass if I'm going into the woods.

If I'm caching on vacation, I'll bring both of my gps units, in case one dies while I'm away from home.

Jamie