60csx And Lithiums?

I don't know if the problem has been resolved, but why don't you use good-quality NiMH rechargeable batteries like the 15-minute 2500 mA Energizers.

I use those in my Vista C. They work very well and last a long time, but when they lose power, I just pop them in the charger and have "new" batteries in only 15 minutes. :blink:

The Lithiums are great for very cold weather, but other than that they are a waste of money and time, since you have to keep getting in line to buy more batteries . . . ;)

The Lithiums are great for very cold weather, but other than that they are a waste of money and time, since you have to keep getting in line to buy more batteries . . . ;)

True (sort of). I've actually found the lithiums last twice as long in my GPS V as 1900 nimh rechargeables or alkalines. Since the GPS V has a battery timer this is a statement I make with certainty. More importantly they weigh less than either of the other two choices. I'm planning on using the 60csx on a six day, 40-mile backpack trip. I'll have the unit turned on and in my backpack all day long while hiking, making a track of the hike for later download. I'd have to tote twice as many nimh for that trip as lithiums, plus they weigh more. Plus that whole losing the charge thing really annoys me. Always have to top those suckers off before going on a hike or a cache hunt. Lithiums last like ten years. Nimh dead in two months. I like nimh for some things. Works perfect in my bicycle headlamp I use for commuting each day. Just don't like 'em in the GPS for backpacking.

sparklehorse

I'm in the dark here - what was the problems wih Lithiums in the 60csx?

The Energizer Lithium-iron disulfide cells put out slightly higher voltage than alkaline cells. When brand new they may produce about 1.75 V/cell (new alkalines are about 1.6 V/cell). Apparently the 60/76Cx & CSx monitor the voltage and automatically shut down if the processor determines that it's too high - and that can happen with these cells when they're new. Just use them in a flashlight or anything else for a few minutes and the voltage drops enough for the 60/76 'x' models to accept them without any problem.

I don't know if Garmin can fix this in a future firmware release but it doesn't strike me as a big problem in any event, *as long as you know what's happening*.

I've used lithiums exclusively in my 60CSx since I got it a couple of months ago and never experienced any problem whatsoever. I do wish that Garmin would add a "lithium" choice in the battery type selection menu item if they truly give their blessing to using lithium cells in their 60 and 76 units.

I keep hoping this might happen via a firmware update, along with the return of the alarm clock function and the "barometric pressure plotting with unit off" function, but it seems like they're never even going to finalize their Beta version 2.62, let alone make important corrections like these!

Edited by Didjerrydo

I have been using Lithiums in my 60csx and didn't have a problem till today. I got close to the cache and it went nuts. It went from reading 85 feet to .79 away. :o I couldn't get it fixed till I changed the batteries. I put in new lithiums. And then it was ok. Who Knows?????

I also can't get any D's on my sat. page, or topo maps to load. :blink:

I've been using Lithiums in my 60CSx for about a month now without issue. The lithiums I have on my shelf (I've got about 20 8-packs still left from when I bought 50 8-packs wholesale) have been there for a couple of years anyway so I guess I haven't had a REALLY fresh pack that is putting out the 1.75v when new that others have mentioned.

I have rechargables as well, but ya know... I don't really care about spending a couple hundred bucks a year on Lithiums. My unit is MUCH lighter (and thus floats, or so I've heard), and they last a good long time. I don't throw my batteries into the trash can and instead dispose of them via battery recyclers at a Best Buy or here at work.

I just got an email back from garmin that stated you can use Lithiums and keep it on the alkaline setting. I also looked at my Energizer e2 Lithium batteries and they are 1.5V.

So I guess I'll keep using lithium, I just put my recharg. batteries in to see how long the last.

I just got an email back from garmin that stated you can use Lithiums and keep it on the alkaline setting. I also looked at my Energizer e2 Lithium batteries and they are 1.5V.

So I guess I'll keep using lithium, I just put my recharg. batteries in to see how long the last.

Do you happen to have a meter to test them with? It would be interesting to see if they truly are 1.5v. My guess is they are not.

When I spoke with Garmin a couple of weeks ago, here is what I was told:

1. A new **hardware** revision of the 60/x series was out (or coming out) in order to address the lithium overvoltage issue. To me, this means that the problem cannot be solved (or *truly* be solved) via a firmware update.

2. The 76/x series does not have this problem with lithiums.

I hope that helps.