A Geocache Equipment Cache

Well I'm thinking about putting out my first cache and need some ideas. The container is going to be a .50cal ammo can, cammoed. Terrain rating will be about a 3 or so. I'm wanting to place this cache with caching equipment that people sometimes need while out caching. I was thinking a few sets of fresh AA batteries and a few cheap flashlights. Now I just need to figure out what else would work in this cache. I was figuring on each item costing no more and $1-$1.50. The flashlights I was able to pick up for .85 each and they come with AA batteries.

What else would you consider a good idea to put into this kind of cache?

LCAS-271

hmmm... a few ideas, not sure of the cost of some of them though:

* travel pack of wet wipes - while one's jeans work to remove mud/flaking paint from one's hands, wet wipes are much preferred ;)

* travel pack of insect repellant wipes - found some in a cache over the weekend and thought that was dandy. Who doesn't need a refresher of bug off?

* empty 35mm canisters? You can get these for free at most stores that develop film (I know Walmart just throws them away). If you want to be really nice, wrap them in camo duct tape for a ready made micro. I'm sure someone would like to find that.

* bandanas - usually you can grab these at hobby stores for around $0.75 each and less if you buy in bulk, they make good hats, sweat rags, bandages, slings, etc etc etc

* travel first aid kits - saw some at Walmart for $0.94 each; comes with bandaids, antibiotic ointment, anti-itch cream, and tylenol I believe

Well I'm thinking about putting out my first cache and need some ideas. The container is going to be a .50cal ammo can, cammoed. Terrain rating will be about a 3 or so. I'm wanting to place this cache with caching equipment that people sometimes need while out caching. I was thinking a few sets of fresh AA batteries and a few cheap flashlights. Now I just need to figure out what else would work in this cache. I was figuring on each item costing no more and $1-$1.50. The flashlights I was able to pick up for .85 each and they come with AA batteries.

What else would you consider a good idea to put into this kind of cache?

LCAS-271

If you care about the cache, then you should be willing to spend more than that. Think of the time invested in getting there. Think of how much you spend just on gas to go seek a cache.

Why not put a good NiMh battery charger in there? Maybe a good fanny pack with water bottles? A pair of FRS radios ( about $20 ).

Make the finder say "Wow! Maybe I should be trading something nicer than geo-junk!"

That is just the problem with most of the caches in my area. Now I've just started caching and I'll admit I dont have a whole lot of find but the 25 or so regular cache finds I have didn't hav emuch in the way of swag. Most of it it just old borken McDonald's toy and the like. I'm hoping to keep it under budget since EMS doesn't really pay the greatest but still have a decent cache for people to enjoy. I was also thinking about a few small multi-tools. Normally I carry a Leatherman but I didn't on a recent cache when it would have came in handy to grab a micro container with. I like the bug-spray idea also. Anything else that someone would like to find in a cache, within reason??

LCAS-271

Mirrors are useful in searching for some of the caches around here, you can get some small handheld mirrors pretty cheap, and if they are unbreakable, even better! I would love to come across your cache. A cache for cachers. Pretty cool idea. Of course, my daughter would wonder where the McToy is. :ph34r:

Individual packs of insect repellent wipes. You can get a box of 20 wipes for $5 which comes out to something like 25 cents each.

Small Lock n Lock containers. They sell for under a buck some places. Waterproof match containers are 84 cents at Walmart and make for great micro containers. Decon boxes are also good.

CITO canisters. Take a film canister, stuff a small garbage bag inside, and print your own CITO label (it could have the CITO logo and say something like "CITO with LCAS-271") and affix it to the canister with clear packing tape. (note this is a better use for film canisters than using them as leaky micro containers).

Extra logbooks. A pack of 5 spiral bound note pads can be bought at Staples for $4. Wrap each one in Glad wrap along with a golf pencil (or pencil stub, or shorty pen) so they aren't mistaken for the real logbook.

Shorty pens. Or you can make your own using a white Bic stick pen. Someone once posted a tutorial here which I couldn't find, but it involves removing the tip and ink tube, cutting the pen's body to the desired length. Cutting the ink tube to fit, pinching the end of the ink tube with needle nose pliers and re inserting it into the body. I once made 30 of these in about a hour.

Edited by briansnat

If you care about the cache, then you should be willing to spend more than that. Think of the time invested in getting there. Think of how much you spend just on gas to go seek a cache.

I don't think monetary value necessarily denotes usefulness/attractiveness of items in a cache. A four pack of standard AA batteries from the Dollar Tree is still new batteries when your GPSr is dying, and therefore just as valuable at that point as rechargeables. A pack of insect wipes is much more valuable than yet another fanny pack if you've sweated off your protection and are getting vampirized by vulture-sized mosquitos. Value is based on more than money. If this were not so, then anyone who places a handmade signature item in a cache is placing "trash" or "junk" in it as well as most of them cost mere pennies.

As long as the items were truly useful and not junk, I don't think the cost should really be a factor until it's time to trade. Then, of course, you trade equal or up :ph34r:

Emergency Rain Poncho

Emergency Whistle

Bandaids

Athletic Tape (for blisters)

Sport Bottle

Carabiners (all round useful)

Nylon Tiedown Straps (Tie that jacket onto your swag-pack)

Compass

Kleenex Travel Pack

Led Light

Emergency Lightsticks

Emergency Sewing Kit

Water Repellent boot treatment

Heating Pads

All these things cost a couple buck or less and can be pretty useful if you're trail hiking. Try to get items particular to your area. Single sealed packs of asprin and benadryl might even be a good idea for areas heavy with poison ivy, wasps, etc. :ph34r:

Shorty pens. Or you can make your own using a white Bic stick pen. Someone once posted a tutorial here which I couldn't find, but it involves removing the tip and ink tube, cutting the pen's body to the desired length. Cutting the ink tube to fit, pinching the end of the ink tube with needle nose pliers and re inserting it into the body. I once made 30 of these in about a hour.

I DLed that a while back. Here's a link to a copy of Prime Suspect's Mini Pens Tutorial

JohnTee

Why not put a good NiMh battery charger in there? Maybe a good fanny pack with water bottles? A pair of FRS radios ( about $20 ).

Make the finder say "Wow! Maybe I should be trading something nicer than geo-junk!"

I disagree. Geocaching has little to do with the trades. If you ask anyone who has been caching a while, they'll tell you this. Some of my favorite caches were filled with junk. I'm not saying to fill your cache with junk, but I'd rather see $1-$2 swag in a cache--I just don't want to trade for 20 dollar items. (I do this at Wal-Mart, trading cash for toys! :ph34r: ) I wouldn't want to lug around expensive stuff. I don't need an expensive hobby, I'm married with children! I'd rather cache hiders spend time rather than money picking a good location and/or an interesting hide. Just my opinion, though.

I second the CITO container. I occasionally leave these in caches. I use film canisters and stuff kitchen-sized garbage bags in them. (They'll fit, barely.) I finish them off with a CITO sticker made from address-sized labels with a bit of verbiage and the CITO logo.

Besides a FTF prize I look at the trade as being either a token jesture or something to make it fun for the kids who are out caching with their parents. So fun, safe, perhaps educational childrens toys make for good swag and help keep the kids interested.

Dog toys would be great too! Dog food or biscuts are not a good idea because of the other critters that may become interested in your cache. But, if I could give my dog Seamus something rubber or plastic to gnaw on I'm sure he'd appriciate it.

I wouldn't be interested in an inexpensive flashlight. I've chucked out too many of them in the past because they do not work when you need them to (you get what you pay for). I'm a little weary about batteries as well unless they were rechargable and in origional packaging.

WP matches, stubby pencils, repellent wipes and CITO bags I think are all good ideas. Maybe mini tubes of sunblock?

If your cache is going to be filled with more expensive swag you should put that in your discription so people can decide accordingly what they are going to bring to trade. But don't feel too bad if all of a sudden the good stuff is gone and your cache is filled with used golf balls, Mc D toys, and dried up pens. I've seen this reality.

You might want to run 'waterproof matches' past your reviewer. I'm not sure if they would be allowed, or not.

Regarding cheap flashlights, some will like them, some won't. (Come to think of it, they are just like every other trade item.) Regardless, cheap AA flashlights will be appreciated by those cachers who didn't bring a light and wished they had and those cachers who would like a spare set of batteries.

Dog toys would be great too! Dog food or biscuts are not a good idea because of the other critters that may become interested in your cache. But, if I could give my dog Seamus something rubber or plastic to gnaw on I'm sure he'd appriciate it.

Our two caches both had a large dog toy (stuffed squeaky toy) included with the original swag. (first log should show the original contents)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d9-3a95b2356cf7

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...40-49fefe9b2073

I don't think monetary value necessarily denotes usefulness/attractiveness of items in a cache.

Agreed. But limiting yourself to $1.00 - $1.50 does limit your choice of cool items. If you care enough about a cache to place it, and to ask for adivice in these forums, then I'd think you could cough up $12 for a 4AAA NiMH charger and batteries, or some other prizes.

I'm not trying to ridicule the OP here. I'm just suggesting that a few bucks ain't such a big sacrifice for something you care about.

I agree that it's not about the money. as another example, I'd rather find a cool $20 FRS radio set, than an actual $20 bill.

I'm just challenging folks to up the quality of their swag. Cheaper items can be quality too, but why limit yourself to them. If you can afford a gpsr, and the gas to get there, then you can afford more than $1.50 for your cache items.

:ph34r: I have 59 caches out "in the wild." If I had to spend $20 or $30 or more dollars on the swag for the larger containers, I couldn't place those caches. I couldn't afford it . . . but I think my caches take you to pretty cool locations, which should be the major goal of any cache.

Some of us have a lot less expendable income than others. We shouldn't be discouraged from placing a cache in a nice area, even if all we can afford are Dollar Store and Target OneSpot items for swag.

I think the OP's idea is a good one and agree that ziplock bags, small pencils, CITO kits, $1.00 First Aid kits, and waterproof match containers would all make great swag, along with those cheap carabineers I cannot resist picking up . . . :(

:ph34r: I have 59 caches out "in the wild." If I had to spend $20 or $30 or more dollars on the swag for the larger containers, I couldn't place those caches. I couldn't afford it . . . but I think my caches take you to pretty cool locations, which should be the major goal of any cache.

Some of us have a lot less expendable income than others. We shouldn't be discouraged from placing a cache in a nice area, even if all we can afford are Dollar Store and Target OneSpot items for swag.

I think the OP's idea is a good one and agree that ziplock bags, small pencils, CITO kits, $1.00 First Aid kits, and waterproof match containers would all make great swag, along with those cheap carabineers I cannot resist picking up . . . :(

Did you place them all in one week?

I like to pick up a variety of baseball hats at thrift stores and yard sales. I wash them and then put them in ziplocks. Sometimes cachers forget to take their hat and will be happy to find one.

Another thing I put in are paperback books. A friend of mine reads voraciously and then he gives me the books when he is done. I put those in ziplocks, too.

A good music mix CD is a fun find.

For the little cachers, I also pick up beanie babies or other small stuffed animals in new condition at thrift stores. They can be had for .25 to .50. I toss those in the wash, too, and then put them in ziplocks.

I have a dog themed cache that I keep filled with new tennis balls, leashes and collars from the dollar store, squeeky toys, doggy key chains, etc. It is an ammo box, and rawhide bones have been OK in there.

Just my 5 cents worth! :ph34r:

No, but I did place 11 in one week. I don't think the goal of caching should be the swag. Who carries around $15.00 items to "Trade Up or Trade Even" for a battery charger. If you put one of these in a cache, someone will trade it for a golf ball or a broken McToy, or maybe one of those wonderful, cheap carabiners . . . :P

The important thing should be the placement of the cache. Put it where there is a nice view and no one will worry about the value of the swag.

:P I have 59 caches out "in the wild." If I had to spend $20 or $30 or more dollars on the swag for the larger containers, I couldn't place those caches. I couldn't afford it . . . but I think my caches take you to pretty cool locations, which should be the major goal of any cache.

No, but I did place 11 in one week. I don't think the goal of caching should be the swag. Who carries around $15.00 items to "Trade Up or Trade Even" for a battery charger. If you put one of these in a cache, someone will trade it for a golf ball or a broken McToy, or maybe one of those wonderful, cheap carabiners . . . :ph34r:

The important thing should be the placement of the cache. Put it where there is a nice view and no one will worry about the value of the swag.

OK, I agree that it's not only about swag either. But I'm just responding to the OP and the given topic. The topic was about swag. Specifically, what swag to put in a geocache equipment cache. He didn't say he's placing 59 of them. He did say he's limiting himself to $1.00 - $1.50/item.

I'm merely suggesting that a bigger budget would make for better geocaching equipment to put in his cache, at least for a FTF prize if nothing else.

Notebooks are useful, yes. But not all that exciting.

:blink: I have 59 caches out "in the wild." If I had to spend $20 or $30 or more dollars on the swag for the larger containers, I couldn't place those caches. I couldn't afford it . . . but I think my caches take you to pretty cool locations, which should be the major goal of any cache.

I think the OP's idea is a good one and agree that ziplock bags, small pencils, CITO kits, $1.00 First Aid kits, and waterproof match containers would all make great swag, along with those cheap carabineers I cannot resist picking up . . . :unsure:

No, but I did place 11 in one week. I don't think the goal of caching should be the swag. Who carries around $15.00 items to "Trade Up or Trade Even" for a battery charger. If you put one of these in a cache, someone will trade it for a golf ball or a broken McToy, or maybe one of those wonderful, cheap carabiners . . . :unsure:

OK, I agree that it's not only about swag either. But I'm just responding to the OP and the given topic. The topic was about swag. Specifically, what swag to put in a geocache equipment cache. He didn't say he's placing 59 of them. He did say he's limiting himself to $1.00 - $1.50/item.

I'm merely suggesting that a bigger budget would make for better geocaching equipment to put in his cache, at least for a FTF prize if nothing else.

Notebooks are useful, yes. But not all that exciting.

If it wasn't for my little girl I wouldn't trade anything.....I like the hunt....but since I take my little girl out we have toy trades for her to use. Most of the hides I have done I stocked with pretty good things.....such as mini flashlights.....leatherman tool and lighted key chains.....all are gone now and have been replaced with McDonald toys or five and dime trinkets.....people like the good stuff, but they don't seem to be leaveing something more or equal to value. Kinda got me mad at first when I noticed this happening but I soon got over it. I just think of it as my cache when I place it and after that it becomes everyones cache......They can put in/ take out what they please, I'm just the maintance guy after placement..........That's how I look at it anyway.

Edited by justsnoopingalong

Single use Tecnu packets. Invaluable 'round here! :)

Do they really MAKE those? OMG. I have to get some. Tecnu is great but it usually takes way too long after exposure before you get home to use the stuff and by then it's really too late. I'll have to look for some of those single use packets and put them in my cache bag and also leave them as swag. When you KNOW you just hit the darned poison oak and you are out in the field it would be great to be able to open an individual Tecnu pack and take care of it NOW so you don't end up with the "pink splotchies".

He didn't say he's placing 59 of them. He did say he's limiting himself to $1.00 - $1.50/item.

Again, I don't think that the monetary value of an item is equivelent to it being 'better' or or more useful nor does it denote how much care a person can put into a cache...only the budget. A FTF prize, yeah, if you want make it a bit more, but if the prizes range from $5-$20 each many folks will either not trade at all (I know I don't carry $20 trade items with me), or trade ridiculously low (something that's already sparked off more than one super-long thread).

I wouldn't expect a cache to hold items that are "nice", I could buy those when needed from any store. I would, however, like to see a cache hold items that are *useful*...the $20 radio set is "nice" but not useful to someone who caches alone or already has a pair; a pair of new AA batteries (rechargeable or dollar store fare) when yours are dying may not be "nice" but they're darn useful!

Besides...I'd rather go to a cache with 20 $1 *useful* items for trade than a cache with 1 $20 "nice" item that will be taken by someone who leaves a McToy and some religious paraphernalia. *shrugs* maybe it's just me.