How Can This Be?

A cacher called aarken put a TB belonging to my son (called Deep Purple) in a cache in South Africa at the end of last year. It was not showing as being logged into the cache called PA-Tieties in South Africa. When I looked on aarken's profile it showed this for the TB:

Name Last Log Owner Location Traveled

Deep Purple 12/27/2005 seiken Unknown 31329 mi

I noticed that aarken put the tracking number for the TB in his log. Could that explain how someone has messed with it? And how would they do that?

PS I have since 'retrieved' the Tb and placed it back in the cache.

Edited by Firth of Forth

A cacher called aarken put a TB belonging to my son (called Deep Purple) in a cache in South Africa at the end of last year. It was not showing as being logged into the cache called PA-Tieties in South Africa. When I looked on aarken's profile it showed this for the TB:

Name Last Log Owner Location Traveled

Deep Purple 12/27/2005 seiken Unknown 31329 mi

I noticed that aarken put the tracking number for the TB in his log. Could that explain how someone has messed with it? And how would they do that?

PS I have since 'retrieved' the Tb and placed it back in the cache.

3 people can mark a bug missing.

1 the bug owner

2 the current holder

3 the cache owner for the cache it is placed in

once it has been marked missing it will show as unknown location

Reading the logs after aarken

"icon_smile.gif January 5 by Tricky Vicky & Mickey (472 found)

What a wonderful beautiful area this cache is in. We loved our walk and enjoyed it all thoroughly. Unfortunately the cache was found by non-cachers recently who all signed the log book very dutifully and took all sorts of things, including the travel bug, and left cigarettes in its place. Claim to also have left a condom, but we never found it! We took the cigaretes and a keyring and left a picture frame and a soldier to guard the cache. We replaced the cache in its hidey hole and covered it very carefully, so hopefully it won't be accidently discovered again!"

and

"icon_smile.gif January 15 by <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=aae5f586-f60d-4996-bf2f-0dbadc9b3281" style="text-decoration: underline;">fiets2 (91 found)

Very nice site. It had a couple of mugle visits though! Two mugle logs show them taking the travel bug that was in the cache!! The general empty state of cache suggest some unlogged visitors. Decided not to place TB starlite in this cache.Happy Hunting"

Would suggest that the cache has been well and truely Muggled ;)

I've been reading a few of the recent logs for caches we've done in the past, and it seems a fair few "newbies" put the TB tracking number in the log.

Hope your TB turns up somewhere.

G.

KandG

It's not nice doing it, but if the TB is gone, it's better that it doesn't show in the cache, as it confuses cachers. I always send a warm supporting message to TB owners before I consign their Tbs to oblivion </evil laughter>

Actually, with the servers acting up recently, there seem to be more errors with TB dropping and retrieving of late, so I always have my fingers crossed that the TB will turn up again somewhere later and it's just an administrative error.

Actually, with the servers acting up recently, there seem to be more errors with TB dropping and retrieving of late, so I always have my fingers crossed that the TB will turn up again somewhere later and it's just an administrative error.

tell me about it... :ph34r::ph34r:

sorry boardslider :ph34r::lol:

No Problems, I think I've been quite lucky getting into the site of late and in my eagerness have forgotten how difficutlt it can be especially at weekends :huh: