Paperless Caching

I know there have been some other discussions on this, but I'll be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss! :(

Like many other cachers, I have a GPS (map60c with Topo GB maps) and a bunch of printouts of the caches I am interested in.

I have a (rather dusty) Sony Clie PDA with Palm OS 4.1 on it. It would be great to do away with all the printouts, but I don't know how to go paperless.

I would love some advice on how to convert, and I would also know how to use the PQ tools, and the waypoint dowload options.

Thanks

I've had a Palm VIIx for 2 years which I've hardly used due to it sucking the life out of AAA batteries like there's no tomorrow, so over the weekend decide to do a diy job after a trip to Maplin.

I've now got a palm that show keep going for weeks !!

Who needs AAA when you've got high capacity AA's.

palm_front.jpg

palm_back.jpg

I didn't *get it* at first.

1 download Cachemate and upload it to your Palm. You need to pay up for the non-free version as the free one is limited t0 10 cache records only. This costs about $8 I think.

2 Download GSAK. This is free for 30 days and then you get nag screens. It is cheap to regisrer and I have not met anyone who does not think it's worth it.

3) obtain a pocket query GPX output file, read this into GSAK. GSAK will out put in various formats including all the waypoints to your GPS is you have a cable to connect it to the pc and a Cachemate file, which you can add to your Palm.

All software can be found by chasing various links (see markandlynns page) or by a spot of googling.

I ain't saying nothing. Paperless cacheing... Bah Humbug. :ph34r::ph34r:

Good your learning then :ph34r:

A big thank you for all your replies, I have spent a little time playing around today. I have a PQ in my email box now, GSAK couldn't read the file as said something about Windows XP corrupting .zip files.

I will play around for a bit longer, I may be able to get somewhere with more patience.

I thought I was quite good with technical stuff until now... :lol:

A big thank you for all your replies, I have spent a little time playing around today. I have a PQ in my email box now, GSAK couldn't read the file as said something about Windows XP corrupting .zip files.

You need to extract/unzip the file first and then open them using GSAK.

When I try it I get the error message below and I'm using Version 6.5.2 which AFAIK is the latest version (not counting beta versions)

gsakziperror0in.jpg

The drag and drop has never worked for me and I've yet to see a clear outline of how to do it. It doesn't bother me though as I find it simple enough to open and extract the zip from Outlook and just open it as with any file in my email :ph34r:

I always save the zip file to a folder and use File/Open in XP and have never had a problem, but then against, I have never used Outlook (except at work).

Ok. I've been opening the zip file straight from Outlook. The extra step to save the zip file is much the same as opening and extracting it from within Outlook. Same result and pretty much the same amount of work, just a slightly different procedure.

and I have it set up to hoover the zip files right out of my gmail account without ever downloading them! (thanks to Hokes and John Philimore for helping me set this up!)

That is a nifty procedure but as I only get 1 PQ per day and I don't have a Gmail account it's not worth my while setting it up just to do that. I can see how it would be useful when you have multiple PQs though.

One worry I would have with automation is the possibility of virus infection if GC.com was hit without anyone realising until it was too late. At least opening and loading the file manually increases the chances of my AV picking up any Klingons :ph34r:

Theres a guide on our website :ph34r:

I've read your guide, very interesting, would it work for any PDA? Gives me an excuse to buy a new toy :ph34r:

Make sure you know the differences between palm and ppc as they use different software, while ppc is much more powerful palm are also a good bit of kit, if memory map worked on palm I would still be using my old m500 but the alternative (fugawi) is pants in comparrison.

I went the whole hog a bought a palm visor from ebay for a tenner. :ph34r:

I have all my caches on the palm, and better still I can read the screen in daylight. :ph34r:

The batteries last about 2 weeks, another thing to consider if your going paperless.

Edited by stora

I went the whole hog a bought a palm visor from ebay for a tenner. :anibad:

I have all my caches on the palm, and better still I can read the screen in daylight. :)

The batteries last about 2 weeks, another thing to consider if your going paperless.

Well, I have set up a couple of PQs, one for near my home, the other in the Peak District as we are going on a short break up that way on Friday. I got 200+ caches on my PDA now, all local caches, and I hope to receive my e-mail tomorrow with my Peak District caches on it.

I will send all the caches to MapSource and Upload them to my GPS. Wow. This seems pretty good, At least I have an excuse to use my PDA again after 3 or 4 years of gathering dust!

Thanks again for all the help!

G

Theres a guide on our website -_-

I've read your guide, very interesting, would it work for any PDA? Gives me an excuse to buy a new toy :P

Make sure you know the differences between palm and ppc as they use different software, while ppc is much more powerful palm are also a good bit of kit, if memory map worked on palm I would still be using my old m500 but the alternative (fugawi) is pants in comparrison.

Not a problem as cachemate is now available for pocket pc.

We use a palm due to the second hand price on ebay and the fact it came with a metal case, less to lose if you drop and damage it or as more often happens you sit on it while its in your back pocket.

Not sure how cheap pocket pc's go down to these days that can run the necessary software ? can someone please enlighten us ??

Not sure how cheap pocket pc's go down to these days that can run the necessary software ? can someone please enlighten us ??

My IpaQ 3600 cost me about £60 off ebay, I run TomTom and loads of games on mine, it takes CF cards (with a sleeve) from my camera, and a CF WiFi card for logging in the field.

There is soooo much Freeware for PPC's you wouldn't believe.

OH NO!!! My printers has packed up. How am I going to get my cache sheets? :ph34r:

I know, I have my Ipaq 3870. :P

Now How do I load all the cache pages that I have not done within a 20 mile radius of my home? :(

Will I be able to find them with the other stuff I have loaded on it. Such as. Tomtom Nav 2, Some Memory maps, 28 ebooks. 6 games.... :P

I luv it on ear...

You're right. I do have all 10,000+ caches on the Palm and it's showing as 36.4Mb. I'd looked at the wrong database - the 8Mb one is a seperate database I use with just the caches I have on my current to-do list.

That will teach me to quote things from memory on here and not pop upstairs to get my Palm and double check them :D

I've got all UK caches on my Palm and it takes up no more than 8Mb or so.

Can't be all of the UK in 8Mb, must have a great chunk missing, just done a GSAK PDB export for Palm Cachemate and it's just over 24Mb

Edited by The Bolas Heathens