Waymarking Challenge - Ends Sept 1, 2008

Ambrosia

We would like people to get interested in Washington State history, and to start creating and logging waymarks in the Washington Historic Markers Category!

We have a challenge for you...with a Volunteer Geocoin as a prize.

As part of this this Waymarking Category, there are a series of Historical Markers:

WSDOT in partnership with the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, and State Historical Society maintain a system of Highway Heritage Markers along state highways and in state park locations.

The markers chronicle Washington State's history at 67 locations across the state, and educate travelers about the natural, historic or cultural heritage in all regions of the state.

We are challenging the community to waymark all 67 of these locations. For each waymark that you create your name will go into a drawing. When all 67 have been waymarked we will draw a name to win a

Volunteer Geocoin.

There is a free pamphlet, "Highway Heritage Markers - Guideposts to Interpreting Washington's Heritage" that you can send off for by emailing Paula Connelley at ConnelP@wsdot.wa.gov with the subject line "Interpretive Markers Brochure". This pamphlet may help you with your challenge. I have sent off for a pamphlet and hope to receive it next week.

Rules for the challenge:

1. You must create a new waymark, not log an exisiting one.

2. Complete the normal requirements set up on the Washington Historic Markers waymark page for your waymark submission.

3. Two required photos: First, your required Marker photo must be close enough and clear enough to show that it is part of the WSDOT Highway Heritage Markers series. Another picture must show either yourself or your gps with the Highway Heritage Marker to show that you were there.

4. In the private message area of the Waymark submission page, note that you are creating it as part of the challenge.

We hope that this will jumpstart you on your road to discovering Washington State history. But don't stop there! There are many more historical markers to be found and logged all across this state!

Have fun Waymarking!!! :(

Later today, I plan to take one of my Volunteer Geocoins and change the description to show it is the prize fo this contest. Ambrosia will let me know as soon as a waymark is posted that qualifys for this contest. I'll add that name to the Bug page so everyone can keep track of who is playing.

I'll post a link to the bug page this evening.

*edit*

The travel bug has been activated. See it here.

Edited by Team Misguided

I just talked to the lady responsible for the highway markers, Paula Connelley. She said that she only had a couple pamphlets left, because they are out of print. She said she would send me one. The reason that they are out of print is because some of the markers are gone, etc, and they want to eventually put the whole thing on the internet.

She spent last year finding out what sort of condition they are all in, and said that she will try and mark on my pamphlet which ones are still there. Unfortunately, she said that the markers are way down on the list of priorities for a government program, and it's mostly just her, so she works on them when she can.

I told her all about Waymarking and this waymark, and she sounded happy about it. She shared with me how there are so many other types of markers in Wa state by other organizations. She said that they just completed a brand new series of markers last year that go all along the Lewis and Clark route in Washington state.

I am excited to be a part of helping to create an internet database of these historical spots! :anibad:

Hi! I am the leader of the management group for the Pennsylvania Historic Markers Waymarking category, which has been around for a bit longer, and now has 450 waymarks entered in it. In that category, I sponsored the first two Waymarking contests and they were a lot of fun. I like the design of this contest even better!

After reading Ambrosia's post about the shortage of funds and competing priorities for the state agency responsible for these markers, I wanted to share with you all an idea I had from our experience so far in Pennsylvania. We are noticing a lot of markers with bad descriptions in the official database -- either the location is wrong or the text doesn't match what's on the marker. There are markers shown as "missing" which the waymarker had no trouble finding. (Hey, if we can find nanocaches, we can find honkin' big signs, right?) And, we are obtaining accurate coordinates and photos of each marker.

Our plan in Pennsylvania is to work with the responsible agency, The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, to help them correct their database records through our volunteer efforts. We can also provide a GPX or GIS file with all the marker locations. This will aid the agency with maintenance tasks and possibly help with tourism and other governmental goals.

Perhaps you all can do the same thing in Washington? So, while you're having fun entering waymarks and earning contest entries, you may also be doing something as a citizen to help out those in charge of preserving your state's history!

Yeah... I know... winning the geocoin would be way cooler. :anibad:

Edited by The Leprechauns

I received the heritage marker pamphlet in the mail today. The pamphlet actually lists 79 markers, instead of the 67 that are listed on the website. But Paula went through and marked my copy to update which markers are really there. She lists 18 as missing, and 3 with question marks. So that leaves 58-61 as possible for this challenge.

The map below shows you where the markers are located in Washington. I wanted to cut the map in half and enlarge both portions so that you could see the numbers on the map, but I don't have those sorts of photoshoping skills. But what you can see of the map gives you an idea of where the are located. And obviously the markers are going to be displayed on the highway. The one marker that didn't make it into my picture is # 10, Destruction Island, which is near Queets....but that one has been listed as missing by Paula.

If anyone finds a marker that is listed missing or questioned, please note that!

map1.jpg

Excuse me if I made any mistakes with these locations, I was trying to go by the map which isn't always easy for me.

#1 Point Roberts Boundery MISSING

#2 Old Telegraph Rd. (N. of Bellingham) MISSING

#3 Mt. Baker

#4 Bellingham Bay MISSING

#5 David Douglas (near Rockport) Submitted by: talks2animals

#6 Deception Pass Submitted by: Patudles

#7 Big Cedar/Smokey Point (between Everett & Mt. Vernon) Submitted by: jcar

#8 Juan de Fuca (W. of Port Angeles)

#9 Discovery Bay

#10 Destruction Island (near Queets) MISSING

#11 Old Man House (nearish Suquamish, Bainbridge Isl.) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#12 The Suquamish Nation (nearish Suquamish, Bainbridge Isl.) MISSING

#13 Hood Canal Submitted by: Seabeck Tribe

#14 The Tacoma Narrows MISSING

#15 Byrds Mill Rd. (near the Tacoma Narrows)

#16 Bruceville-Bruceport (W. of Raymond, on the Willapa Bay on Highway 101) Submitted by: Patudles

#17 Willie Keil’s Grave (S. of Raymond, on Highway 6) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#18 Claquato (N. of Centralia) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#19 Cowlitz Mission MISSING Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#20 Cowlitz Landing MISSING Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#21 Fort Columbia (in or near Fort Columbia State Park) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#22 Lewis and Clark Campsite, Megler (in or near Fort Columbia State Park) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#23 Columbia River Explorers (in or near Fort Columbia State Park) Submitted by: Patudles

#24 The Finn Hall (N. of Vancouver, on highway 503) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#25 Corps of Discovery (N. of Vancouver, on I5? Or Highway 503?)

#26 Fort Vancouver

#27 First Sawmill (near or in Camp Bonneville, N. of Vancouver) MISSING

#28 Lewis and Clark Campsite, Camas (highway 14) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#29 Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (near Washougal, highway 14) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#30 Mt. Pleasant Grange (near or in Beacon Rock State Park, highway 14) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#31 Forts Cascade, Rains, and Lugenbeel (E. of Stevenson, Highway 14) MISSING Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#32 Golden Spike (E. of Stevenson, Highway 14)

#33 Bridge of the Gods (E. of Stevenson, Highway 14) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#34 Upper Cascades (near White Salmon, Highway 14) MISSING

#35 Broughton Flume (near White Salmon, Highway 14) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#36 Celilo Falls (E. of the Dalles, Highway 14) Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#37 A Culture Lives On (E. of the Dalles, Highway 14) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#38 Sam Hill Country (E. of the Dalles, Highway 14) Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#39 Indian Painted Rocks, Yakima MISSING

#40 Beck Memorial (N. of Yakima, Highway 82)

#41 Blewett Submitted by: Blue J Wenatchee

#42 Mission (Cashmere) MISSING Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#43 Dry Falls Submitted by: Blue J Wenatchee

#44 Fort Okanogan Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy*waiting for confirmation pics

#45 David Thompson (E. of Colville, Highway 20)

#46 Steptoe Battlefield (N. of Rosalia, Highway 195)

#47 Steptoe Butte (N. of Colfax) Submitted by Prying Pandora

#48 Kamiak Butte (E. of Colfax)

#49 The Mullan Rd. (Between Colfax and Othello, highway 26)

#50 Drewyers River (Between Pomeroy and Connell, highway 261)

#51 Three Forks Indian Trail (E. of Pomeroy) MISSING

#52 Lewis and Clark, Alpowa Summit (E. of Pomeroy)

#53 Lewis and Clark enter Washington (S. of Clarkston, Highway 129)

#54 Ainsworth (Pasco)

#55 Fort Walla Walla

#56 Mt. Rainier Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#57 Monticello Convention (W. of Kelso) MISSING Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#58 Lewis and Clark Trail (N. of Dayton)

#59 Spokane House

#60 Indian Painted Rocks, Spokane MISSING

#61 Spanish Explorers (W. of Port Angeles)

#62 Chief Sealth (nearish Suquamish, Bainbridge Isl.) MISSING Submitted by: Seabeck Tribe

#63 Ginko Petrified Forest (near Vantage) MISSING Confirmed by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#64 Lava Flows (Between Vantage and Ellengsburg, highway 10) Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#65 Sacajawea (Pasco)

#66 Grand Coulee Dam

#67 B-Reactor (NW of Pasco)

#68 Arid Lands (Between Richland and Prosser, Highway 68) MISSING

#69 Kettle Falls

#70 Chuckanut Dr. (S. of Bellingham) Submitted by: talks2animals

#71 Lake Lenore Caves Submitted by: Blue J Wenatchee

#72 Olmstead Place (Between Vantage and Ellengsburg, highway 10)

#73 Point Elliot Treaty (Between Vantage and Ellengsburg, highway 10)

#74 Roosevelt Elk (S. of Raymond, Highway 101)

#75 Roslyn Coal Mining (Roslyn) Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#76 Railroads and the West (W. of Sprague)

#77 Beacon Rock (W. of Stevenson) Question if there Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#78 Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (E. of the Dalles, Highway 14) Question if there Submitted by: Og's Outfit

#79 Horsethief-Rock Art Trail (E. of the Dalles, Highway 14) Question if there Submitted by: Masterpuzzler

#80 Original Blewett Marker Not in pamphlet but in book Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#81 Earthquake Point Not in pamphlet but in book Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

#82 Cheif Joseph Not on list Submitted by: xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

If anyone has any questions, just ask. <_<

Edited by Team Misguided

I received the heritage marker pamphlet in the mail today. The pamphlet actually lists 79 markers, instead of the 67 that are listed on the website. But Paula went through and marked my copy to update which markers are really there. She lists 18 as missing, and 3 with question marks. So that leaves 58-61 as possible for this challenge.

The map below shows you where the markers are located in Washington. I wanted to cut the map in half and enlarge both portions so that you could see the numbers on the map, but I don't have those sorts of photoshoping skills. But what you can see of the map gives you an idea of where the are located. And obviously the markers are going to be displayed on the highway. The one marker that didn't make it into my picture is # 10, Destruction Island, which is near Queets....but that one has been listed as missing by Paula.

If anyone finds a marker that is listed missing or questioned, please note that!

If anyone has any questions, just ask. :D

Several years ago I bought a book at Asplund's for my dad. I think it was called "Wish you were Here." I think it may have been published by DOT in the 60s or 70s and the book was nothing but pictures of DOT historical markers and if I remember right, more detailed descriptions of the area for each sign. I'll call my dad and see if he still has it. From the time I was a kid it was implanted in my DNA to never drive by a historic marker without stopping to read the story.

I've always thought it interesting that the historical sign for Old Blewitt doesn't mention the arrastra although it is the arrastra that is on the register of historic places. I think Matt may rebuild the stairway to the Blewitt Arrastra for his Eagle Scout project.

By the way, Okanogan county is absolutely rich with historical markers by the Okanogan County historical society. Just going from Memory, there is a sign just S. of Pateros (China Ditch), at Mazama, on Brewster flats road where the chillowist trail comes down, on 97 between Monse and Okanogan, on Loup Loup near leader lake, and at Conconully.

Missing from the DOT list is one of the original DOT signs at Earthquake Point north of Entiat. (home of a cache by one of our favorite cachers)

Is/was that the cache 'The Day the Mountain Fell'?? I remember stopping at that marker to look for the cache. Construction had the cache buried but the story was cool.

Ambrosia, looks like we have a candidate for this challenge!!

Missing from the DOT list is one of the original DOT signs at Earthquake Point north of Entiat. (home of a cache by one of our favorite cachers)

Is/was that the cache 'The Day the Mountain Fell'?? I remember stopping at that marker to look for the cache. Construction had the cache buried but the story was cool.

Ambrosia, looks like we have a candidate for this challenge!!

That is the cache that he is talking about, TM. :D If that sign is a DOT marker, than I'm fine to include it in this challenge.

And we may just have a candidate. :D I have also received an email requesting the original picture of the map, so we may have another candidate as well. :(

Do you have an example of what these markers look like? Are they all the same style of construction or are some different than others?

I was hoping the pamphlet would show an example, but it doesn't. I'm assuming since they are a complete series, they should all look the same.

If they are like the one at Earthquake Point, it is quite a large wooden sign on two posts set back in a pullout so that you can sit and read it in your car.

What is the number of the marker just off Hwy 161 north of Eatonville?

I've been trying to zoom the map with Photoshop, and even used a magnifying glass, but the number is too washed out.

Is there any way to get your map in a better resolution?

#56, Mt. Rainier.

If you give me your email address, I can send you the picture in an attachment, which makes it a bit larger...that might help. :bad:

From the time I was a kid it was implanted in my DNA to never drive by a historic marker without stopping to read the story.

:bad: Yup, me too.

As I look over the markers I see many of which I remember stopping while doing the Delorme challenge and other caching trips.

Several years ago I bought a book at Asplund's for my dad. I think it was called "Wish you were Here." I think it may have been published by DOT in the 60s or 70s and the book was nothing but pictures of DOT historical markers and if I remember right, more detailed descriptions of the area for each sign. I'll call my dad and see if he still has it. From the time I was a kid it was implanted in my DNA to never drive by a historic marker without stopping to read the story.

I talked to my dad about the book in question. Unfortunately he no longer has it. It self destructed in his car. I did manage to find a copy from a Barnes & Noble Affiliate in Spokane. I'm just trying to decide whether I'm up to parting with $15 to get it. BTW, it isn't called Wish you Were Here.

Nice waymark submission, Og. :anibad: Now you just have to work on the challenge submissions. <_<:anibad:

I can't recall. The book is long out of print, but I did end up ordering it. Found one in Seattle for under $6 so with shipping it was under $10. I'd be glad to share. Provided of course I get to see your brochure. :anibad:

Call me when you get the book and we'll have a looksee. :ph34r::o

I just talked to the lady responsible for the highway markers, Paula Connelley. She said that she only had a couple pamphlets left, because they are out of print. She said she would send me one. The reason that they are out of print is because some of the markers are gone, etc, and they want to eventually put the whole thing on the internet.

She spent last year finding out what sort of condition they are all in, and said that she will try and mark on my pamphlet which ones are still there. Unfortunately, she said that the markers are way down on the list of priorities for a government program, and it's mostly just her, so she works on them when she can.

I told her all about Waymarking and this waymark, and she sounded happy about it. She shared with me how there are so many other types of markers in Wa state by other organizations. She said that they just completed a brand new series of markers last year that go all along the Lewis and Clark route in Washington state.

I am excited to be a part of helping to create an internet database of these historical spots! :D

I just got an email back from Paula Connelley. She said that she had no more phamplets <_< and was in the process of updating it for posting on thier web site.

Is there a chance the phamplet could be scanned for those of us that are unable to get one?

Thanks

I am excited to be a part of helping to create an internet database of these historical spots! :huh:

I just got an email back from Paula Connelley. She said that she had no more phamplets <_< and was in the process of updating it for posting on thier web site.

Is there a chance the phamplet could be scanned for those of us that are unable to get one?

Thanks

It's a couple posts down from that one. And if you want the original image which is a bit bigger, just give me your email and I'll send it to you. :D

9938e455-0425-4268-9c80-2dce7d89dd29.jpg

This is my entry for the category. Blewett, Washington. This shows the sign on Hiway 97. The Waymarking page also has a picture of the town.

Thanks for a good history lesson, Ambrosia. This should keep us all busy for the summer.

Blue J

Drat! I should've posted my waymark as soon as I got back to town rather than waiting for the kids to get back to town. Did you forget to take the required picture with you or your GPS? D'oh!

I like it when people fight over submitting waymarks to my category. :D;)

Congrats to xy on #42, even though you feel bad about missing the Blewett marker.

Here is a great example to everyone: xy found a waymark that was reported as missing. It isn't missing, but moved to the musem in that town. So he gets bonus points. ;)

And just to clarify, in my category you do not need to have your gps in the picture to create waymarks. Just a picture of the sign, and surrounding area if it applies to the marker.

Thanks you guys!

Edited by Ambrosia

I like it when people fight over submitting waymarks to my category. :D;)

Congrats to xy on #42, even though you feel bad about missing the Blewett marker.

Here is a great example to everyone: xy found a waymark that was reported as missing. It isn't missing, but moved to the musem in that town. So he gets bonus points. ;)

And just to clarify, in my category you do not need to have your gps in the picture to create waymarks. Just a picture of the sign, and surrounding area if it applies to the marker.

Thanks you guys!

Rules for the challenge:

3. Two required photos: First, your required Marker photo must be close enough and clear enough to show that it is part of the WSDOT Highway Heritage Markers series. Another picture must show either yourself or your gps with the Highway Heritage Marker to show that you were there.

I wish you could see me laughing as I type so you won't think I'm disgruntled. I don't think anybody doubts that BlueJ was there. Funny story: When I was ready to leave the Blewett pass site, rather than turn around, I opted to drive around behind the sign and make my exit. Turns out the snow was deeper there than it looked and I got STUCK! I'll bet if I'd waited around a bit, BlueJ would've been able to pull me out. It only took me 1/2 hour to free myself. After digging with my feet and shoving branches under the tires, I finally resorted to jacking the truck up and puting on chains. As Eraseek says....that's where geocaching takes me.

Edited by xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

Sorry about that Steve. I guess I need to go back to Blewett and take a pic with my GPS and the sign. I should read the guidelines more carefully. It is going to be fun to see who gets which Highway markers first. I wont tell you where I am off to this afternoon to get highway markers.....lol

Thanks

Jon

Nor will I. Heh Heh Heh. I'd contact Ambroisa before you head clear back up to Blewett. I doubt it is necessary. What time were you up there? Did you see my tracks from getting stuck in the snow behind the sign?

I just got an email back from Paula Connelley. She said that she had no more phamplets :D and was in the process of updating it for posting on thier web site.

Thanks

It's a couple posts down from that one. And if you want the original image which is a bit bigger, just give me your email and I'll send it to you. B)

Paula emailed me yesterday and she managed to scrounged up one more pamphlet and is sending it to me. I was interested on the marker on the Hood Canal since that is were I live. Haven't found any info on the net about one. So I guess I'll just have to take a drive around the loop. :lol: What a shame.... B) My tax client will just have to wait and extra day for their return.

From pictures posted I now have an idea what to look for. But would still appreciate sending me the picture since it will be a few days before I recieve the pamphlet. Thanks seabecktribe@wavecable.com

I posted the markers for Dry Falls (#43) and Lake Lenore Caves (#71) today. Had fun in the coulee knocking of these caches. The hike to the big cave was a tough one for my out of shape body. Had a great time anyway. Anytime I am in the area the cliffs and the rocks are all beautiful.

Thanks

Jon

Blue J

P.S. And my GPS is in all the pics....lol

Edited by Blue J Wenatchee

Well, so far all the markers except for one that have been found during this challenge have been from Wenatchee people. :D:P

Give me a chance! I DO have a full time job! ;)

I'll get to them in my own good time! :P:P:D

You're way ahead of all the other non-Wenatchee people. :D:DB)

I really like how the contest is playing out slowly. For the first one that I ran, it was over in one day. I picked 40 markers as a reasonable number for someone to find. A quick drive around historic Philadelphia allowed the winner to knock off 40+ in one day. It was like hunting micros in Nashville or puzzles in Redmond. So then I had a second contest that was limited to markers which weren't in urban areas. That one lasted maybe three days.

I think I'd better fly out there and find a marker or two. My flight's booked for next Wednesday.

Ok, I'm making an up-to-date list:

#56 Mt. Rainier - Og's outfit

#41 Blewett - Blue J Wenatchee

#42 Mission - xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy (had been listed as missing)

#71 Lake Lenore Caves - Blue J Wenatchee

#43 Dry Falls - Blue J Wenatchee

Extra markers not on the pamphlet (they are in the book), but part of the series:

"Original Blewett Marker" - xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

"Earthquake Point" - xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

I found that I can add to the list on that earlier post. I'll try to keep that one updated as well.

That is cool! Everyone can see at a glance what has been done. And in bright blue and everything. I'd have to say the advantage tips to Blue J. (edit: Tried to make the "J" big and blue, but I couldn't figure out how to make it happen. <_<

Edited by Team Misguided